Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 12:35 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,794,567 times

Advertisements

If there ever a time to be super picky, it is in the realm of relationships and especially online dating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 12:36 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,655,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
Of course not but I bet alot of women are delusional about their own rating. They think they are an 8 or 9, but turns out they really are a 4-5 in a guy's eyes.
I could say the exact same thing about a lot of men too.

Quote:
Well then that's my entire point.

So you agree with me that a woman's "window of opportunity" or however you put it, is 20-30?

That is the time to pick and choose. After that time is over, you cannot afford to pick and choose anymore. Cause guys aren't choosing you anymore.
So because women over 40 aren't able to attract men over 40, that's a reason for those women to lower their standards? They do have another option. It's called remaining single.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:38 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,033,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post

I look at the dating profiles of women my age, and they really are awesome! They look good, are fit, have all kinds of cool jobs and hobbies. It's easy to tell that they love life, and have great relationships with their friend and family. Most of them I would rate 8-10.

Then I look at the profiles of the men. Some seem to be living life at about the same level as the women. But there is far more obvious dysfunction in their profiles. Many are clearly clinically depressed, there are c

Wow, I don't know what you're looking at. Really. I can't say much about the guys profiles, but there is loads of clues to alcholism/dysfunction/etc in the female profiles in my age range (38-48). Most don't look good, and the vast majority are loaded with rubbish that doesn't really say anything at all or is clearly pretty fake as they're saying they are effectively perfect. This has been true everywhere I've lived, SF, Chicago, Boston and other cities.

There are loads of good women's profiles, don't get me wrong, but nowhere near the majority. I'm not saying I'm a prize. I'm not. I'm very realistic about that, but neither are the vast majority of ladies.

5,121 posts, read 6,811,926 times
Quote:
Well then that's my entire point.

So you agree with me that a woman's "window of opportunity" or however you put it, is 20-30?

That is the time to pick and choose. After that time is over, you cannot afford to pick and choose anymore. Cause guys aren't choosing you anymore.
You can always afford to pick and choose... especially when you are older. I've been there, done that. Been married, have a child, am self sufficient and have a good career, own my own home, etc, etc. I don't "need" a man in my life. I "want" one... I want to love someone and be loved and spend my time with him. But don't need just anyone. In that regard, a man is a luxury that I can pick and choice. And I am not being sexist either, I think men my age can very much say the same... they don't need women in their lives.

Which, I guess is my friend's point at the beginning... he told me my problem was I wasn't being picky enough when dating. And it makes a lot more sense now. It's like buying a luxury car at an auction. Why even bid on one that doesn't have the features you are looking for... by bidding and spending your resource on one that's not really what you want, when the one you do want comes along, you are going to miss it. Better to wait... even if that means you walk away empty handed and have to come back another day.

4,380 posts, read 4,456,114 times
Quote:
How can that be possible?

The gender ratio is 50:50 and marriage involves 1 guy and 1 girl.

Meaning at your age, there should be equal number of single guys as girls.

Where is the mathematical rationality?
Here's the mathematical reality: I went to a speed dating event last week for ages 40-55. The event started with 15 women and 11 men but one of the men left at the intermission; I only met 10. So it wasn't equal to start with. Just because dates are supposed to be 1:1, that doesn't mean speed dating events actually work that way. The very first one I went to was three years ago for ages 23-37, and there were 12 women and 11 men at that one, so it was pretty close. As I said, tonight's has sold out for the women but not the men. They try to keep it close but they can't force people to sign up or attend-so I'm curious as to how many extra women there will be tonight vs the men.

Just because there should be equality, doesn't mean there is. Also take into consideration I was widowed. What was a 1:1 ratio became a 1:0 ratio. Also, again, consider that not everyone is attending the same events to balance things out. On OKC, a lot of men answer that on their typical Friday night, they are relaxing at home after a long week. And most Meetup events (in this area) are attended primarily by women regardless of what type of group it is.

663 posts, read 779,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, but this is completely unrelated to the scenario you set up.
It is realistic because I fathom alot of women here think they are a 8 or 9 but then keep on wondering why they keep on attracting 5-6s.

So either:
A) you are not an 8, 9 and you are indeed a 5,6

B) there aren't enough men who are 8,9 in the market which are you forced to date 5,6 or be alone.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:40 PM

102,246 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I realised this post should be its own thread. Carry on .
Wait, what? I was about to respond to your excellent points/questions.

And yes, I've noticed that odd Peter Pan phenom among 40-something men.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:41 PM

663 posts, read 779,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
Just because there should be equality, doesn't mean there is. Also take into consideration I was widowed. What was a 1:1 ratio became a 1:0 ratio. Also, again, consider that not everyone is attending the same events to balance things out. On OKC, a lot of men answer that on their typical Friday night, they are relaxing at home after a long week. And most Meetup events (in this area) are attended primarily by women regardless of what type of group it is.
All meetups I attend are 80% men. Javascript meetups, Wordpress meetups, HTML/CSS/Database design meetups are all guy heavy.

All sports leagues are men heavy. Basketball, soccer, are all 80% guys.

Gyms are 80% guys.

My company's warehouse department is 80% guys.

I mean if you attend a friggin cooking or ballet meetup, what do you expect lol?

Old 06-13-2014, 12:42 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,007,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Wow, I don't know what you're looking at. Really. I can't say much about the guys profiles, but there is loads of clues to alcholism/dysfunction/etc in the female profiles in my age range (38-48). Most don't look good, and the vast majority are loaded with rubbish that doesn't really say anything at all or is clearly pretty fake as they're saying they are effectively perfect. This has been true everywhere I've lived, SF, Chicago, Boston and other cities.

There are loads of good women's profiles, don't get me wrong, but nowhere near the majority. I'm not saying I'm a prize. I'm not. I'm very realistic about that, but neither are the vast majority of ladies.
Yeah, maybe it's just a local thing. I went and looked at profiles in SF, and then men there seem way better than the women . Have not tried Boston or Chicago yet.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:45 PM

29,762 posts, read 34,459,247 times
Quote:
All meetups I attend are 80% men. Javascript meetups, Wordpress meetups, HTML/CSS/Database design meetups are all guy heavy.

All sports leagues are men heavy. Basketball, soccer, are all 80% guys.

Gyms are 80% guys.

My company's warehouse department is 80% guys.

I mean if you attend a friggin cooking or ballet meetup, what do you expect lol?
Are you suggesting a woman who's not into IT or sports go to tech meetups and sports bars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships