Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 12:57 PM

663 posts, read 778,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
All sports leagues are not 80% men where I've lived. Many marriages have resulted from the soccer leagues in Seattle. They're pretty well split 1/2-&-1/2. Same with all the gyms I've attended, and they're great for socializing.

Somehow I doubt jillabean or any single women in your area would be scouting out your (or any) company's warehouse department for dates.
Well no, I never said that....

The person wanted to know where the guys are and I simply responded where the guys are...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
So a woman should attend a group just because that's where the guys are? What about attending a group for something she has an interest in that might also have guys as well? A ballet group probably won't have a lot of guys. But a hiking group, a dog lovers group, or an art lovers group might and those are things that could appeal to both men and women.
lol no....very few straight guy would go to a dog lovers group or an art lovers group... lol...

If you are going to those meetups simply because you like it, then that's fine. Just don't complain that you don't meet guys there.

I love art and dogs, but no way would I be caught in a dog lovers group or art lovers group lol. Maybe if I was 45, fat, balding, no money left, desperate for a woman, then I would consider group to those meetups.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:06 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
All meetups I attend are 80% men. Javascript meetups, Wordpress meetups, HTML/CSS/Database design meetups are all guy heavy.

All sports leagues are men heavy. Basketball, soccer, are all 80% guys.

Gyms are 80% guys.

My company's warehouse department is 80% guys.

I mean if you attend a friggin cooking or ballet meetup, what do you expect lol?
I live in a weird area where more men could care less about sports than there are those who actually follow at least one team. I've been to sports related Meetups in which there have still been more women than men. My rock climbing class had 5 women and 1 men; I was the only single person at my kayaking class.

Quote:
Well that's where the guys are. If you are not into that...then I don't know what to say.
Well I was responding to the person complaining about meetups are mostly women and I am saying that she is attending the wrong meetups.[/quote]

I wasn't complaining. I was responding to your comment on mathematical rationality with what my real life experience is. And for the record, I find ballet boring and I'm not in any cooking groups. I'm in a couple of photography groups, a couple of single's groups and I co-organize a group that does a little bit of everything. Tonight's event for the Single's Happy Hour group I belong to has 7 men and 14 women signed up.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I live in a weird area where more men could care less about sports than there are those who actually follow at least one team. I've been to sports related Meetups in which there have still been more women than men. My rock climbing class had 5 women and 1 men; I was the only single person at my kayaking class.

I wasn't complaining. I was responding to your comment on mathematical rationality with what my real life experience is. And for the record, I find ballet boring and I'm not in any cooking groups. I'm in a couple of photography groups, a couple of single's groups and I co-organize a group that does a little bit of everything. Tonight's event for the Single's Happy Hour group I belong to has 7 men and 14 women signed up.
lol that's because you are attending rock climbing...and kayaking....lol....

I go rock climbing with a bunch of friends. I don't attend meetup to rock climb with some strangers.

How about competitive team sports? Now that is what most guys wouldn't mind doing. Beat a team of strangers at a sport. Afterwards, invite said team to a drink and have a beer and laugh about it.

Volleyball? Basketball? Soccer? Baseball? Football? Those leagues are guy heavy or at the MINIMUM 50/50.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:16 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:

How about competitive team sports? Now that is what most guys wouldn't mind doing. Beat a team of strangers at a sport. Afterwards, invite said team to a drink and have a beer and laugh about it.

Volleyball? Basketball? Soccer? Baseball? Football? Those leagues are guy heavy or at the MINIMUM 50/50.
Like a 40-year-old woman, or any woman, would join a football league. Or baseball. Women gen'ly play softball. Try to make some realistic and helpful suggestions instead of just mouthing off. Jeez. By the 40's, women (and some men) would be phasing out of competitive team sports, except for bowling. idk, maybe NW Girl should try golf (snoozer!). Sailing could work; the sailing class I took was mostly men.

But meetups in my town (judging by comments on the New Mexico forum) seem to be mostly men. The singles ones are, anyway. So much depends on the town and the region. You can't really generalize.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:25 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
You can always afford to pick and choose... especially when you are older. I've been there, done that. Been married, have a child, am self sufficient and have a good career, own my own home, etc, etc. I don't "need" a man in my life. I "want" one... I want to love someone and be loved and spend my time with him. But don't need just anyone. In that regard, a man is a luxury that I can pick and choice. And I am not being sexist either, I think men my age can very much say the same... they don't need women in their lives.

Which, I guess is my friend's point at the beginning... he told me my problem was I wasn't being picky enough when dating. And it makes a lot more sense now. It's like buying a luxury car at an auction. Why even bid on one that doesn't have the features you are looking for... by bidding and spending your resource on one that's not really what you want, when the one you do want comes along, you are going to miss it. Better to wait... even if that means you walk away empty handed and have to come back another day.
Just take your time meeting the right man meant for you, darlin'. I feel you will meet the right man. You just have to cross each others path, at the right time, at the right place......a man who will love you, cherish you, communicate with you, be your best friend, etc.

Best of luck for you.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:30 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
lol no....very few straight guy would go to a dog lovers group or an art lovers group... lol...

If you are going to those meetups simply because you like it, then that's fine. Just don't complain that you don't meet guys there.

I love art and dogs, but no way would I be caught in a dog lovers group or art lovers group lol. Maybe if I was 45, fat, balding, no money left, desperate for a woman, then I would consider group to those meetups.
Fortunately, most men aren't like you. The women I've talked to say they meet plenty of single men at dog groups or art groups. And none of those men are old, fat, bald, broke, or desperate. You suggested earlier that women attend groups that are likely to have men. Well, that has to go both ways. If a man isn't meeting a lot of single women at his Javascript meetup, then perhaps he needs to expand the types of groups he attends. That's not being desperate. That's just being smart.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:37 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Fortunately, most men aren't like you. The women I've talked to say they meet plenty of single men at dog groups or art groups. And none of those men are old, fat, bald, broke, or desperate. You suggested earlier that women attend groups that are likely to have men. Well, that has to go both ways. If a man isn't meeting a lot of single women at his Javascript meetup, then perhaps he needs to expand the types of groups he attends. That's not being desperate. That's just being smart.
One of the best posts on this general topic, ever. So sensible.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Ok look...either

1) You are meeting guys in those meetup groups. Which means great. Your life is fine and you don't need to be in Relationship Help.

2) You are not meeting guys in those groups. Which means you need to find more hobbies. And I simply suggested competitive team groups.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:39 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post

Well I was responding to the person complaining about meetups are mostly women and I am saying that she is attending the wrong meetups.
I wasn't complaining. I was responding to your comment on mathematical rationality with what my real life experience is. And for the record, I find ballet boring and I'm not in any cooking groups. I'm in a couple of photography groups, a couple of single's groups and I co-organize a group that does a little bit of everything. Tonight's event for the Single's Happy Hour group I belong to has 7 men and 14 women signed up.[/quote]

If you like to fish & kayak, darlin'...these guys/gals do just that...

Northwest Kayak Anglers

Also, some of the good folks on OFF, kayak a lot. Check out the forum. Arrange to meetup with some who kayak & fish. Oregon Fishing Forum

Some kayak on the Columbia River. Go only on Calm days, or into calm slough's. Be Safe is your first consideration.

Last edited by Hawk J; 06-13-2014 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships