Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 05:16 PM

326 posts, read 478,540 times

Advertisements

I just downloaded the app, so hopefully I get some matches soon.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:28 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi000 View Post
I just downloaded the app, so hopefully I get some matches soon.
Good luck!

Old 07-25-2014, 08:51 PM

600 posts, read 824,842 times
I agree the response time is a huge factor. I usually give them 24hrs after I say hi. It shows anyways when they are active. If they are remotely interested they will respond. If not, then they are wasting your time. Honestly, that's even too much time. All the girls that I have messaged that went somewhere responded within 2 hrs.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
I'm sorry, I just think it's an utter waste of time and here's why. As with any online dating site, the concept is the same. You have an infinite amount of possibilities at your finger tips, which you might initially think is great, but I think it actually produces more deficiencies than success.

Have you ever shopped for something online and you just can't make up your mind because there are so many different options available? Now imagine that concept being incorporated with dating. That's exactly what Tinder is, and any online dating site for that matter. It's an excuse not to settle or give somebody a chance, because someone else, someone better, is just a swipe away. I feel like the Tinder crowd doesn't spend any time time getting to know one another. I also believe that if Tinder existed during our parent's generation, most of us probably wouldn't have been born. If you're a rock star with great looks, lots of money, a lots of worldly experience, it's probably the greatest thing since sliced bread. You're probably having an amazing time hooking up left and right. I think it's probably a great resource for that lifestyle. For an average person, who's serious about meeting someone, it's just another means to be passed over. I mean, why give anyone a chance when you can judge their entirety based on a few pictures they have posted?

Tinder makes the process almost too easy, and it does the heavy lifting in the beginning vs. other sites like POF/OKC. It does not allow the 2 people to message unless it's a mutual match thus wasting a lot of time for both parties.

There are a lot of stories of women getting their email boxes full of messages from traditional online dating sites, which are being sent by men who are effectively spamming the women's inboxes. It's like a catch-22.

Online dating in general is not the most conducive form of dating, I'll admit that as well. Women in general are able to be more picky due to the options. That's why I only use online dating is a supplemental form of dating, not my primary. That's an easy way to get really frustrated and depressed when that's all you do......it should not be a substitute for meeting in person.

I still meet women during the day in person and take their number. I just met someone at the library I go to just a few days ago. I never rely on one option only and it gives me more flexibility when it comes to dating so I'm not "needy".

There were 2 girls I was going to go out with for drinks, but I talked to them on the phone a few times prior and I knew that we were not going to get along and I just wanted to save my money so I declined, and scheduled another girl instead.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:45 PM

898 posts, read 937,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
Tinder makes the process almost too easy, and it does the heavy lifting in the beginning vs. other sites like POF/OKC. It does not allow the 2 people to message unless it's a mutual match thus wasting a lot of time for both parties.

There are a lot of stories of women getting their email boxes full of messages from traditional online dating sites, which are being sent by men who are effectively spamming the women's inboxes. It's like a catch-22.

Online dating in general is not the most conducive form of dating, I'll admit that as well. Women in general are able to be more picky due to the options. That's why I only use online dating is a supplemental form of dating, not my primary. That's an easy way to get really frustrated and depressed when that's all you do......it should not be a substitute for meeting in person.

I still meet women during the day in person and take their number. I just met someone at the library I go to just a few days ago. I never rely on one option only and it gives me more flexibility when it comes to dating so I'm not "needy".

There were 2 girls I was going to go out with for drinks, but I talked to them on the phone a few times prior and I knew that we were not going to get along and I just wanted to save my money so I declined, and scheduled another girl instead.
I try to meet people in person, but it's difficult because there's not a lot of venues for me to do so. I met some nice girls at a Meetup recently, but it's been kind of so-so. I'm not really the type to blindly walk up to a girl unless there is reason to start up a conversation. There's no nice girls at work I can talk to either. I'm pretty friendly, so it has nothing to do with my personality. So yeah, I suppose I have recently relied on online dating mostly as of late. And it DOES suck for precisely the reason you stated. Girls on there have way too many options. I'm never going to out-impress every other dude on there. I realize my shortcomings. I'm decent looking, smart, kind, and have a good sense of humor, but there are a lot of other dudes that have these qualities, too. Average guys cannot compete in that environment. It's just way to easy to move on to the next best thing.

This isn't to say I haven't had any luck. I'm talking to a girl now who I met through OKC. I'm just saying that it's extremely difficult for both sides: girls, because they get bombarded by creeps, and guys, because they have to try to make through all the filters that girls put up to block the creeps.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:35 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
It's so awkward encountering someone you actually know on tinder! I closed out of it without swiping left or right when I saw her picture lol

Old 07-26-2014, 01:20 AM

It is awkward walking up to a girl randomly and starting to talk so most men don't do this. I do however and since most men won't it gives me a huge edge. I've had a lot of success dating women in this manner and still do it as a primary form for meeting women.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:02 AM

Well just got back from meeting a girl tonight. She was very friendly however she was too quiet. It was cute for about the first 5 minutes then it just got annoying. It's a good thing I'm very talkative bc I had to carry the entire convo. It was a forced conversation and just awkward.

I feel like online dating damages people's interpersonal skills. At any rate I'm going to pass. Have another scheduled for Tuesday tentatively. Depends bc next week is busy.

......to be continued. ....

Old 07-26-2014, 03:32 AM

I re-activated my Tinder after I moved to CA back in Feb, so 5 months ago, and have 305 existing matches right now. None of them are bots. I block immediately all the bots, and have blocked at least 140-150 matches since I've been here for various reasons (no response, profanity, will not give number, etc....) there's (2) I matched today that I haven't even messaged yet, the top one has some avatar, however; the rest of her photos are of her.

The second from the top is pretty cute. I've been messaging her the most. She's Caucasian, I'm Asian.....this could have been front page headline news in Indiana, however; it's California so it's not as big of a deal. Ok bad joke.

The last one is surrounded by Chippendale dancers as her main photo LOL.

So there you go, if you have decent photos you can make it work and it's not a pre-req you have to be Caucasian to the guy who says it only 'works' for Caucasian people. I have an ample pool. In fact, I'd say out of the 305 matches, I have not messaged probably close to 60% of them.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tinder app. What are your thoughts?-screenshot_2014-07-26-02-08-51.png  

Old 07-26-2014, 04:35 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
It's so awkward encountering someone you actually know on tinder! I closed out of it without swiping left or right when I saw her picture lol
I've seen guys from work, high school, and some that I had met in the past on other dating sites. I don't find it awkward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships