Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 01:48 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,521,735 times

Advertisements

So how has online dating been going out for you? Have you tried it and what did you think of it? Is it as any good as regular dating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 02:29 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,251,535 times
I don't think so. There's a lot of BS that comes with online dating from what I've experienced.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:29 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,650,824 times
It's like any tool. It depends on how you use it and what you expect from it. I've done online dating on and off over the years and I never had a bad experience with it, certainly not as bad as some of the horror stories you hear. Some sites are better than others, not so much because of the type of people that are on there, but more because of how certain sites set up to help you find people you'd have any interest in. I don't try to compare it to regular dating. The whole point of it is to have an extra way of meeting people, not as a replacement to traditional dating. I like that it allows you to meet people you might not otherwise meet in your everyday life and that it makes it easier to filter out people who are all wrong for you. For a lot of us who lead busy lives, that's a huge time saver.

You'll find plenty of people on here saying it's a waste of time, that all the people on it are liars, that it's for losers, etc. But again, I think that says more about the people who are trying it than the concept of online dating itself. It's important to go in with realistic expectations. You're not going to meet Mr. or Mrs. Right after one month and you're going to find people who lie or post old photos. But people lie in real life too so no there's avoiding that. If you're someone who isn't happy with the quality of people you're meeting in real life or if you don't meet people you'd want to date very often, then I think online dating is worth trying. But again, it shouldn't replace traditional dating nor should you go in thinking you're going to have an easy time finding someone.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:47 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times
I find it efficient. You get a bunch of people together who want various forms of relationships (sex, marriage, dating, etc.), you communicate and work out who wants to date who. It seems worse because it is regular dating "concentrated", for lack of a better term. Pretty much whatever you experience you have in "real life" will be more so for online dating.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-22-2014, 03:12 PM

600 posts, read 825,675 times
I have said this before, but I think online dating can be poisonous for men if not used correctly. I use it myself personally, however; it is merely a supplement to fill in the gaps when I am not out actively trying to meet women in person which I spend more time doing. Online dating allows me to 'virtually' get myself out there, and that's about it.

The reason why I say it is poisonous is because men use it as a 100% primary means of meeting women which is the worst possible thing they can do. It is concieveable that they will send out 100 messages and get no response. Furthermore, you can spend many many hours doing this with little to show for it. I know some guys who will send out 100 messages, and maybe get 1-2 responses, which typically lead up to not meeting up anyway. Plus there's no value getting rejected online. You don't get the social interaction, or ability for feedback on an inperson rejection. It's just an empty rejection.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:20 PM

957 posts, read 1,061,237 times
I just use to it meet women outside of my social circle. It's worked out pretty well for me, but there's a lot of flakes. It seems like most people are expecting the worst when they first meet someone.

I've had pretty decent luck with it, I've met some fun women off it.

I think it's more rewarding to meet women in real life though, see them 4-5 times with small chat then suggest some coffee or something. It's way more fun that way. I do prefer OLD over going to bars though.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:50 PM

774 posts, read 907,356 times
I was a kid, we had discotheques, then discos, then phone ads, now its online dating.

Same people, same results, and money is being made by its operators.

Why lose your paying base by making it work?

Old 06-22-2014, 05:24 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,900,531 times
Fun, exciting, nerve racking, disappointing, new friends, and new experience.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:27 PM

52,308 posts, read 52,764,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I find it efficient. You get a bunch of people together who want various forms of relationships (sex, marriage, dating, etc.), you communicate and work out who wants to date who. It seems worse because it is regular dating "concentrated", for lack of a better term. Pretty much whatever you experience you have in "real life" will be more so for online dating.
It seems like it would be good to just filter out the biggies, things like marriage, smokers, wanting kids, etc etc.....

I've been coupled up for so long I never did the OLD thing, but in theory it seems like it would be OK

Old 06-22-2014, 05:30 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,739,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
So how has online dating been going out for you? Have you tried it and what did you think of it? Is it as any good as regular dating?
Not for me. On online dating sites I've found only married men, really weird men, and men looking to get laid. Meeting men locally in real life works best for me. That's why I suggest Meetup, volunteering, joining clubs and groups, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships