Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 06:48 PM

214 posts, read 206,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you want more improvement, organize and push for it. And get yourselves better lawyers.
That's a pretty despicable attitude if you're actually for equality, isn't it? Like, "hey, I got what I wanted, now all the other inequities stand!"

Old 07-31-2014, 07:08 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobaloba View Post
That's a pretty despicable attitude if you're actually for equality, isn't it? Like, "hey, I got what I wanted, now all the other inequities stand!"
Not at all. That's how change happens. Rarely did anyone move their cause forward just by asking for change. It takes hard work. And it's highly debatable anyway whether the family courts are as a whole biased in favor of women. That's a debate that's raged here many times, and it's off-topic here. Move it to Politics and Other Controversies.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:28 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,998,293 times
Quote:
The preferential treatment in family courts is due to the incomplete process of equalizing treatment in the family courts. A lot of progress has been made; joint custody is usually granted when the father asks for it now, whereas fathers were categorically denied custody in the past, even in cases of mothers that were mentally ill. Full custody to the male parent is also granted when a case can be made for it. Those are huge steps forward.
And these steps were all made by feminists pushing for equality for men in the courts.

That's why MRAs look so foolish. They pretend that feminists aren't the ones making the precise changes they claim to want.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:33 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,393,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
This may come as a shock, but people who are not feminists do not get to define what a feminist is.
Giggles. I love how they try to tell me what I mean by being a feminist. To me being a feminist is a belief that women are equal to men and should be treated with respect. ( I think men deserve respect too.)

I think being a modern feminist is about choice, whether you want to work or stay home. Women can choose to have kids or not, and stay single or get married.

A woman should have control of her own body and choose who she sleeps with and marries. That can not be said for many women of this world. Whether it's through rape, genital mutilation, or forced marriage. A woman should not be jailed because some man chose to rape her.

We are very lucky to live in the United States, where we only have to worry about rape pretty much. I am sure there are a few cases of the others though.

I like men in general and I think most men are amazingly wonderful. I also think most women are great too.

OP- my advice is to start getting comfortable approaching different women. Start with women you are not threatened by and work your way up to your dream girl. Women are more similar to men than you realize. Treat her like you would like to be treated.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:39 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,940,364 times
Quote:
That is far from fact and reality regarding the bolded. That's a ridiculous and outrageous statement. And, what preferential treatment in education? The preferential treatment in family courts is due to the incomplete process of equalizing treatment in the family courts. A lot of progress has been made; joint custody is usually granted when the father asks for it now, whereas fathers were categorically denied custody in the past, even in cases of mothers that were mentally ill. Full custody to the male parent is also granted when a case can be made for it. Those are huge steps forward. If you want more improvement, organize and push for it. And get yourselves better lawyers. You'd be surprised what a good lawyer can do for you.
Yes, Ruth, it *is* reality.

Something as readily accessible as census data can demonstrate that women are appointed primary custodians of their children roughly 85% of the time following a divorce or submission of a proposed custody arrangement to the court. Although I wouldn't think that fathers pursue primary physical custody 85% of the time, I do find it highly unlikely that they only pursue it 15% of the time and, based on those instances, receive it in 100% of cases where they seek it.

I'm not saying that there has been no progress made in the legal system concerning fathers and their children--I'm personally very aware that there has been, actually--but there remain far too many biases and thus hurdles in the system for it to work as fairly to men as it should; 50-50 custody arrangements, not to mention 50-50 child support orders, don't come as easy as you might be thinking, good lawyer or bad lawyer.

As for education, hell, where should I start? That women already outnumber men on nearly 60% of college campuses nationally and are projected to outnumber males on the whole with an overall ratio of 3:2 in the next fifteen years? (That oughtta fix that "wage gap", eh?)

Now as for male performance in elementary school and HS, it has been shown, via University-based research, that standard teacher assessments have created an academic gender-gap that favors girls, based on data proving that grades given by teachers (a majority of whom are female) haven't been on par with test-score data; in other words, male students are increasingly graded in such a way that underscores their actual performance.

Do you smell egalitarianism, because I don't.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:39 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,412,128 times
Women are easy to talk to.. it is just finding the courage to go over and initiate that I find hard

Old 07-31-2014, 07:42 PM

214 posts, read 206,966 times
Quote:
And it's highly debatable anyway whether the family courts are as a whole biased in favor of women.
I lol'd.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:46 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,393,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post

Something as readily accessible as census data can demonstrate that women are appointed primary custodians of their children roughly 85% of the time following a divorce or submission of a proposed custody arrangement to the court. Although I wouldn't think that fathers pursue primary physical custody 85% of the time, I do find it highly unlikely that they only pursue it 15% of the time and, based on those instances, receive it in 100% of cases where they seek it.

I'm not saying that there has been no progress made in the legal system concerning fathers and their children--I'm personally very aware that there has been, actually--but there remain far too many biases and thus hurdles in the system for it to work as fairly to men as it should; 50-50 custody arrangements, not to mention 50-50 child support orders, don't come as easy as you might be thinking, good lawyer or bad lawyer.

As for education, hell, where should I start? That women already outnumber men on nearly 60% of college campuses nationally and are projected to outnumber males on the whole with an overall ratio of 3:2 in the next fifteen years? (That oughtta fix that "wage gap", eh?)

Now as for male performance in elementary school and HS, it has been shown, via University-based research, that standard teacher assessments have created an academic gender-gap that favors girls, based on data proving that grades given by teachers (a majority of whom are female) haven't been on par with test-score data; in other words, male students are increasingly graded in such a way that underscores their actual performance.

Do you smell egalitarianism, because I don't.
I am a teacher and I actively try to stop the gap in male students achievement. I tutor many young boys for free using my own time because I am concerned about this very issue. Teachers often attend numerous training a dealing with this very issue,

I do support 50/50 child custody and 50/50 child support. If I ever got divorced I would not take my husband to the cleaners or ask for alimony. I can work and support myself. Hopefully that will never be an issue.

Just because someone is a feminist, doesn't mean they can't support men's rights. If we are equal, don't we all deserve respect?

Old 07-31-2014, 07:47 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,940,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
And these steps were all made by feminists pushing for equality for men in the courts.

That's why MRAs look so foolish. They pretend that feminists aren't the ones making the precise changes they claim to want.
Again: If male-dominated institutions didn't agree with, and/or capitulate to feminist criteria for making the world go round, then their movement and it's constant evolution of demands would've died over a century ago.

Just grow up, say "thanks" and be done with it.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:51 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post

Something as readily accessible as census data can demonstrate that women are appointed primary custodians of their children roughly 85% of the time following a divorce or submission of a proposed custody arrangement to the court.
That's not the statement that I bolded. It's not the one to which my
"it's far from fact and reality" applied.

Oh well, back to the drawing board. And how do you know the fathers wanted more than secondary custody in those cases? More study needed. If men are asking for primary custody and aren't getting it, we need to know why, first of all. Then the issue can be addressed.

Male students get called on more in class, and even when they're misbehaving, they still get more teacher attention. There's still a pro-male bias in primary and secondary schools, in some respects.

Some of this discussion belongs on the Education forum. There it's being discussed that the elimination of recess and PE from many schools' programs is adversely affecting boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships