Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 05:16 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberai View Post
OCD? Maybe....maybe...
So if one spell checks or cares that they made a misspelling now has OCD? Can you really seriously be thinking that?

And as a woman, I do find that when I encounter an intellectual man that enjoys my company, he is very appreciative of my smarts, my sense of dry humour and the inner me. Less educated and intellectual men are much more inclined to be desiring women that are solely a hotties on the outside. And maybe that sort of recognition was once important to me when I was a teenager or in my 20's... but now that I'm almost 50, certainly what I am looking for in companionship are people that love my brain and inner qualities, and are not going to judge me harshly for having some gray hairs, wrinkles and a body that isn't a perfect and toned size 0 or 2. I don't need to surround myself with anyone (male or female) that considers Adriana Lima, Jessica Alba or Scarlett Johansen the pinnacle of female perfection. BTW of course I realize that beautiful looking women are admired by smart well educated men, but these same men also value the company of a smart woman. And in return, I can appreciate and love a guy that is smart and well educated but may not be a 8, 9 or 10 in looks.

And I do agree with robertpolyglot that there are exceptions to every group we ever discuss on this forum. But there is a reason that all of us tend to make stereotypes, there is a reason that they exist. When we make observations (and we all do), if there are patterns that repeat and occur well over 50% of the time, we subconciously make these tallies.

Last edited by miu; 09-29-2008 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 05:26 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,178,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruru View Post
...the real question is if people don't use big words are they imbeciles?
And the answer is a resounding "no." Being a sesquipedalian may be an indicator of education (and, hence, a likelihood -- but certainly no guarantee -- of intelligence), but not being one is definitely NOT an indicator of lack of intelligence.

Regarding character: definitions of character are subjective, but at its core I would ascribe two essential traits to character -- integrity (i.e. honesty, trustworthiness, ethics) and decency (i.e. kindness toward others, consideration, empathy).

Ability to spell has absolutely no bearing whatsoever upon character.

Last edited by professorsenator; 09-29-2008 at 06:05 PM..

Old 09-29-2008, 05:36 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,509 times
[quote=miu;5479279]So if one spell checks or cares that they made a misspelling now has OCD? Can you really seriously be thinking that?

Pardon me, madam, I did said, "imagination"! Hahaha!!

If I notice an error, it is a human response to correct it. I'm saying that people can't be judged of how smart they are by simply determining if they spell well or not! It's ridiculous!

So, if you're reading a post, letter, or report from a guy you're interested in because he's intellegent and there's a spelling error that he didn't noticed, would you correct him?

Old 09-29-2008, 06:25 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,652,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I've never claimed to have excelled academically or been an English major, I'm really quite in the middle of the pack. However in taking a survey of all the people that I've encountered in my lifetime, those that were well spoken and had a degree from a decent college were better friend quality than those who were loser townies or high school dropouts. The types that were adults who stopped trying to learn more or better themselves all their lives are ones that tend to hang out drinking at bars every weekend or hanging out at shopping malls getting themselves further into debt in order to look successful. Educated people tend to go museums, watch indie or foreign movies and other more enlightened activities. Undereducated people also tend to place a greater emphasis on needing to date more of the opposite sex in order to boost their self esteem. My educated friends seem to be able to rationalize and have a more balanced social life and accept any dating dry spells more gracefully than others.

When I talk to an intelligent person, we naturally are able to talk about tons of topics. When I talk to a dumb person, they tend to talk about stupid problems with their S/O or bad luck stories... all the result of their own lack of commonsense and other logical thought processes.

So what if I come across as an intellectual snob? I have enough close friends to keep me happy, they don't bore me and my life is free from unnecessary dramas. I think that overall, everyone eventually finds the right people to surround themselves with, so it's no big deal if someone like myself is pointedly avoiding the less educated and less intelligent ones. And as nothing out of a dumb person's mouth interests me, I'm very sure that none of my thoughts are interesting to them. So on that we're even. Shrug.
I enjoyed your elaborate rant and inner-anger that you have thoroughly expressed toward how you feel in regard to the bottom-dwellers overstepping their boundaries from time-to-time into your world, however, there are three things that formal education cannot buy - class, eloquence, and basic compassion. I am very surprised that you, who feels so above, is not extending a hand to better the world by perhaps gracing the inner-city children with your presence. I take time-out to do so every 4 weeks here in Tampa in a Big Sister Program. To have a better life - one must be exposed, shown, and taught. Not everyone in society has been taught the correct ways like you and I have - or have been allowed formal education. My curiosity is this, the rest is mish-mosh - aside from possible monetary donations, what are you doing to help make a difference first-hand when you are not browsing museums and taking in a foreign film?

Old 10-05-2008, 12:04 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,544 times
This thread reminds me of when we first got Internet, back when AOL was version 1.
Wish I had a dime for every AOL message board post stating (and I quote):
"Your a looser." You could tell they were kids on there just being silly, though.

Most of my family and friends are either math or spelling -literary whizzes.

My nephew writes papers for (now 9th grade) high school and I can't believe all the grammatical errors the teachers do
not acknowledge. He will show them to me with 90-100 grades with no "red pen" marks anywhere! Times they are a changin'!

Last edited by Travel'r; 10-05-2008 at 12:17 AM..

Old 10-05-2008, 12:07 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
if you can spell well, it means you are either very careful or have some education both could be good. people will try to "read" you by many methods. dress, body language, tone of voice, hand writing, even painting. you don't have to be sane to try any of these methods of reading people and then launch a character assault right afterwards.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:47 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times
I was just talking about this old topic, last night and was curious enough to bring it up again. I still think it does. Maybe they've been unrealted, but most of the women I've known, that have turned out to be flakes or they did something over the top mean, couldn't spell, in a few cases, they got most of the words they spelled wrong.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:23 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Some of the most intelligent folks I know...can hardly write their own name. They've got years of hands on experience...and can run circles around the engineer school boy types I work with. These guys didn't sit in college 4 or more years on Daddy's dime. They've been out there getting their hands dirty since 8th grade. And some are well over millionaires.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:26 PM

647 posts, read 2,083,701 times
Wow, I cain't belieeve some of da' condescending, juja-mental tone of some of ya'll posters in herr. Frohm now-ownn I best be watchin' every little word I write makin' sure I ain't made any sphelling misthakes or usin' any short versions words. Ya know what'Im saying?

I shure wouldn't want some of ya'llz thanking anyting of tehm jugements about me.
Peece

Old 07-12-2009, 12:38 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Just looking for opinions on this. I have found a lot of people, that have character issues, usually have at least below average, or even poor, spelling. These are examples from folks that I have had big time run ins with: riddence instead of riddance, leeves instead of leaves and toilette instead of toilet.
I'm not saying that educated folks and above average spellers are not buttholes at all, but, there seems to be a pattern for me, in my experience. However, bad grammar may play into "education about life" on an overall basis.
What do you all think? I put up a yellow flag to folks, when I see bad grammar and spelling, maybe I should not, but it is what it is.
Well, if incorrect punctuation is a manifestation of character, then you're one bad hombre, my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships