Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 06:42 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,468,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I don't mean like tuxedo/gown, but nice work clothes. Suit/dress or something.

Me, I always assume those people are completely incompatible with me . But elsethread, there seemed to be an assumption that such photos were desirable, so I started wondering what y'all think.
I think if that is the person's usual style they should stick to that, if they otherwise tend toward a more casual day to day appearance in how they romp around than that's how they should present. Of course they hopefully aren't in tattered where with holes and loose threading hanging about. My pictures are always how I dress when I leave the house and unless taken at an event I've attended, they are self-taken with a timer or some such method can we say selfie. My profile pic is one taken in what I wore to the movies some weeks ago; just my typical type of attire. I'm a dress person so that's usually, not always, but 90% of the time what I will be seen it and photographed in.

You shouldn't have to put on a face that isn't you in your dating profile or other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 06:55 AM

11,800 posts, read 12,040,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I have never done OLD but I would imagine the same principle still holds; use pictures where you are having fun and people will think that you might be fun to meet. You can have fun in a suit, jeans, a bathing suit, scuba gear, full camo, or anything else, but a posed picture just screams "no fun!"
Ditto. I vaguely recall a member here whose profile pictures looked like he was out of a men's clothing catalog, just too posed and stiff. Attire and body language counts for a lot, whether in a photo or in person. You convey a lot about yourself without saying a thing.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:15 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
Trying to visualize my self in a suit .
really full beard, long hair , and a muscular 300#
NO, not happening .
So far as the female portraying her self , should be wearing the clothes she is most comfortable in , as few or as many as she normally shows her self in public .
I particularly would be impressed with some one wearing the clothes they use working around the house getting grubby in.(i.e. painting a room.)
Dressing up any one can do ,even a lazy bum.
Working,or working out, represents something of value to me.
Of course if the picture is a phony ,that spells "deception" which definitely is a turn off, deal breaker.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:50 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,999,377 times
I suppose this is partly regional -- where I live, professional guys never wear suits! Khakis and a shirt with buttons are dressy (and might look weirdly formal in a profile photo).

Old 07-28-2014, 01:57 PM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times
For me I would prefer a more casual look. If I saw a profile where the woman looked she just came from the office/work, I'd probably assume that she identified "herself" with her job too much, not that I have a problem with people who are professionals, but people are far more than there occupations, at this stage in my life, I'm not impressed with job titles and things of that nature, getting to see the real side of a woman interests me much more, and casual clothes showing in her pics convey more to me than the power suite does.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:48 PM

943 posts, read 1,004,792 times
If you read my thread lately, then apparently the ONLY way to present yourself on OLD is AFTER you've had plastic surgery improvements, look like a million bucks with your hair done perfectly and fake **** ... ugh...no, I'm with the other 99.9% just be yourself.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:15 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,059,727 times
As long as the person who shows up for the real date, looks like the person in the photo, it's all good.
If it was a one-time headshot, but they normally bum around in flip flops and shorts/capris and a dirty t shirt with chili dog stains all down the front, wouldn't that be misrepresentation?

Including 4-5 profile photos in a variety of poses/scenes would be your best bet.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:29 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,281,457 times
Do you mean "Would you go out on a date with..."?

I'm also assuming we are talking about OLD.

If you are actively using OLD, I see no reason to discount someone because their picture is too nice. If you meet them and they don't resemble their pic to the degree that you aren't attracted to them, then don't go out with them again.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
i personally dont care what a person is wearing the their profile picture, i dont go based on looks alone. if the profile pic is a good one, and the rest of the profile is also good, then the pic might make a difference if i am choosing between two or three ladies. on the other hand, if the profile sucks, the pic wont be any help.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:41 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times
All but one of my Tinder pictures are me wearing either a suit or a blazer. That's usually how I dress when I go out, anyways.

Seems to work well for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships