Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 07:36 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,101,999 times

Advertisements

She's a reflection on how you treat family. That's a pretty big deal.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:38 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,087,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
She cares about your relationship with your mom because it is a reflection of how ultimately may be towards her once you both get settled and advance your relationship with your girlfriend. Also, she probably values family closeness as important for the person she is looking to be in a relationship with. She is hoping you can be that person.
^^I agree! And the g/f is presenting as a very mature individual who doesn't waste time looking through rose-colored glasses.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:46 AM

46 posts, read 39,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
NO. How YOU treat your mom may very well be a reflection on how YOU treat all women.
My mom is a different person than my girlfriend. Why would I think of them the same way?

Old 08-06-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
She's a reflection on how you treat family. That's a pretty big deal.
Since she's family I should kiss the ground she walks upon? I don't owe her anything. How do I even mistreat her, I don;t bother her. I haven;t talked to her in years and have no idea where she lives. My life has gotten much better without her.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bromosexual View Post
Since she's family I should kiss the ground she walks upon? I don't owe her anything. How do I even mistreat her, I don;t bother her. I haven;t talked to her in years and have no idea where she lives. My life has gotten much better without her.

Did I say you should kiss the ground she walks on? No.

But don't pretend or expect your relationships to occur in a bubble. They do not.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Did I say you should kiss the ground she walks on? No.

But don't pretend or expect your relationships to occur in a bubble. They do not.
I can choose who I can have in my life.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bromosexual View Post
I can choose who I can have in my life.

You can.

And they can choose the same, including your ladyfriends.

That is the way it works. What information they need to determine whether to keep you in their lives is their business. We all have our own criteria.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:10 AM

38 posts, read 33,700 times
I find these types of situations interesting. Why is it that the status of a man's relationship with his mother always used as a litmus to how he will treat other women. Yet how women treat their father is never usually even brought up. If a woman were to say to me that she is not close with her father, I would not question her and/or pressure her to have some type of relationship with her father. I would just assume she has good reason for that and leave it at that. She is an adult and her relationship with her father has no bearing on me. Why can't women just accept this from men? To the OP, I would break it off with her and move on. This is likely just a preview of things to come, she more than likely would try to control other aspects of your relationship. Cut the cord and move on.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:13 AM

102,302 posts, read 108,429,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave0966 View Post
I find these types of situations interesting. Why is it that the status of a man's relationship with his mother always used as a litmus to how he will treat other women. Yet how women treat their father is never usually even brought up. If a woman were to say to me that she is not close with her father, I would not question her and/or pressure her to have some type of relationship with her father. I would just assume she has good reason for that and leave it at that. She is an adult and her relationship with her father has no bearing on me. Why can't women just accept this from men? To the OP, I would break it off with her and move on. This is likely just a preview of things to come, she more than likely would try to control other aspects of your relationship. Cut the cord and move on.
Because fathers often are absent from their kids' lives. This may be the case less than it used to be, but mothers are still the primary parent in kids' lives when the kids are small.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:19 AM

38 posts, read 33,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Because fathers often are absent from their kids' lives. This may be the case less than it used to be, but mothers are still the primary parent in kids' lives when the kids are small.
Sorry, that's a lame excuse. Even if parents are divorced, more often than not the father still has visitation. Again I say this should not matter. If a person says that are not close with their mother/father I assume there is a very good reason for that and I do not question it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships