Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it considered an approach?
Yes 3 6.67%
No 42 93.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:56 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times

Advertisements

No it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 10:30 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,208,300 times
a stare is not an approach but rather a sign.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:08 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Somehow this got derailed in recent threads from from initiating to approaching. It's not an approach, but a woman displaying non-verbal clues of interest is initiating, and many men are able to pick up on that and from there, approach her. But it started with her showing signals of interest.
Exactly!

I don't know why some men here are so obsessed with this idea. I do know why they don't get dates, though.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:13 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Exactly!

I don't know why some men here are so obsessed with this idea. I do know why they don't get dates, though.
A woman talking to a man and vice versa is an approach. Sending subtle signs by body language and smiling is not an approach.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:30 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
Quote:
Exactly!

I don't understand it either Nila. Seems like there is no point in trying to convince and talk to them other wise. Seems like their ways are set.

Trying to prove other wise by making statements isn't going to get us anywhere unfortunately. *sigh*

Old 08-18-2014, 12:37 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
Did anyone ever say a smile was an approach? Talking to someone is an approach, and it's not gender-specific activity. Someone mentioned "orbiting" as something women do. Whether they thought that was "approaching" or just signaling, I don't know.

(The things you learn on this forum! I though orbiting was something planets and satellites do, but ok, women do it, too. )

Old 08-18-2014, 12:41 PM

663 posts, read 778,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Did anyone ever say a smile was an approach? Talking to someone is an approach, and it's not gender-specific activity. Someone mentioned "orbiting" as something women do. Whether they thought that was "approaching" or just signaling, I don't know.

(The things you learn on this forum! I though orbiting was something planets and satellites do, but ok, women do it, too. )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I don't understand it either Nila. Seems like there is no point in trying to convince and talk to them other wise. Seems like their ways are set.

Trying to prove other wise by making statements isn't going to get us anywhere unfortunately. *sigh*
Quote:
Exactly!

1. Since there is a consensus in the polls that smiling and looking at someone is NOT an approach,

2. Can we all agree that women rarely, if ever, approach men?
Since after all, we all agreed that smiling/looking at someone is NOT an approach.

3. Since we agree on #2, that women RARELY approach men; can we all agree that women RARELY get rejected since after all, they rarely APPROACH?

This is basic ABC logic here.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:42 PM

564 posts, read 747,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
When my friend and I are out, and we catch guys staring at us, I usually just keep walking (I get uncomfortable) she will actually wave and say hey.
From this and other posts I can tell you have a problem with men. Your friend on the other hand seems like a nice and friendly girl.

Regarding the original question, it all depends on the context and the situation. Some people are just genuinely nice and just because they smile it doesn't mean anything more than they're being friendly, but other times it's an obvious invitation for the other person to come over and talk. There are lots of nuances in human communication, it's not all black and white.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:44 PM

326 posts, read 348,871 times
Quote:
Exactly!

They don't get dates because when women smiled and they approached they got rejected and if this happens enough a smile isn't going to mean anything to those guys. This happened to me and I said I will let women approach from now on that was four years ago so I moved on.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:45 PM

326 posts, read 348,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
1. Since there is a consensus in the polls that smiling and looking at someone is not an approach,

2. Can we all agree that women rarely, if ever, approach men?
Since after all, we all agreed that smiling/looking at someone is not an approach.

3. Since we agree on #2, that women rarely approach men; can we all agree that women rarely get rejected since after all, they rarely approach?

This is basic abc logic here.
eight ball corner pocket!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships