Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 10:07 PM

372 posts, read 599,246 times

Advertisements

Is it bad that I'm still unsure of my sexual orientation? It seems like most people have it figured out by middle school or high school, but I'm a 19 year old female starting college this week, and I'm really starting to think about girls a lot, like as in dating them or being in a relationship with them.

I never really dated before, because I used to be really shy and insecure. I'm past that now and have a lot of self confidence. The couple people I have dated were guys, but neither lasted long, and nothing happened. Seriously most of the "relationship" consisted of texting.

I have realized most guys considered "attractive" I really don't see them as attractive. Guys like Channing Tatum, etc aren't really cute to me. I seem to notice cute girls more than I notice cute guys.

There is this girl I went to high school with who I keep thinking about. Thinking about what it'd be like to be in a relationship with her. We are friends, not super close, but she's my friend on facebook. She is gay/bi, but has a girlfriend.

I've just really been questioning myself lately... asking myself who I want to date.. guys or girls. I don't know guys. What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 10:20 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,775,709 times
You can go to gay events, clubs, etc. Try to make gay friends so you can eventually meet a woman you want to explore with. Check out the L Word on Showtime OnDemand and see if anything sparks an interest. Good luck, doll.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:46 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
No, it's not weird to be unsure at 19.

I went through a bunch of angst as a teenager, trying to decide if I was straight or gay. Then, my first year in college, I learned the word bisexual and realised I did not have to choose!

I recommend taking a gender studies class .

Old 08-24-2014, 11:20 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
I did not know I was gay, I am a male, till I was 21 so its common to be questioning at 19. If you have any specific questions about it feel free to ask.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:32 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,012,074 times
you gotta sample the goods before you decide to commit, and even then practice makes perfect. go explore the unknown, many ppl have experimented even if only to confirm their initial inclinations.

i don't think any guy would have an issue with you being bi. but a guy being bi or having a prior gay relationship, umm, most women would be cautious i think...

Last edited by Dr. Clean; 08-25-2014 at 12:08 AM..

Old 08-25-2014, 02:19 AM

372 posts, read 599,246 times
Yeah it's all just happening so fast, it's making me nervous.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:41 AM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
When it's fun time with the happy button who are you thinking of??? Brad Pitt or Katy Perry???? That's probably the litmus test I'd imagine for a young confused person......

Old 08-25-2014, 05:31 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
I'm an old straight lady who's never felt otherwise, but maybe you could resist the urge to label yourself and simply spend time with people you enjoy, regardless of gender. Be open to all possibilities and see what happens.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:07 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
Yeah it's all just happening so fast, it's making me nervous.
Yes . But it will be ok. Does your college have a lgbtq support group? I think pretty much everywhere does... It can help so much to talk to other people who are going through the same thing, and know you are not alone.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:07 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
Is it bad that I'm still unsure of my sexual orientation? It seems like most people have it figured out by middle school or high school, but I'm a 19 year old female starting college this week, and I'm really starting to think about girls a lot, like as in dating them or being in a relationship with them.

I never really dated before, because I used to be really shy and insecure. I'm past that now and have a lot of self confidence. The couple people I have dated were guys, but neither lasted long, and nothing happened. Seriously most of the "relationship" consisted of texting.

I have realized most guys considered "attractive" I really don't see them as attractive. Guys like Channing Tatum, etc aren't really cute to me. I seem to notice cute girls more than I notice cute guys.

There is this girl I went to high school with who I keep thinking about. Thinking about what it'd be like to be in a relationship with her. We are friends, not super close, but she's my friend on facebook. She is gay/bi, but has a girlfriend.

I've just really been questioning myself lately... asking myself who I want to date.. guys or girls. I don't know guys. What should I do?
Are you sexually attracted to a women's figure? Are you sexually attracted to the female persona? Do you love the quality of your relationships with other girls/women, perhaps more so than a straight women would? Are you sexually attracted to women considered beautiful, like certain female celebrities, or athletes? You mention that you are not attracted to a man's looks or his physique. Does the masculine persona appeal to you at all? Do you only feel lust for women, and never for a guy? From what you've indicated, it sounds like men do not appeal to you, and women do. Denial can be a big part of the coming out process. Don't be afraid of it, embrace who you are, and love yourself no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships