Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2014, 06:54 PM

52,280 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I will never understand how money is such a motivator that people will allow someone to move into their home without doing all the necessary back ground checks, have funds in hand in full and then complain when they find out their renter is an axe murderer who is on vacation.

Is money really that important to so many that they forget all about common sense safety issues?
Is money really that important that they just make up some sort of "yeah you can move into my home and if I get around to it I'll see if you are a criminal or looney"?

I just don't get it, I know money is important for paying debts, buying food etc but money is not everything or the most important thing.
It just appears to me that money controls so many humans instead of those humans controlling their money.
I agree.... money seems to turn people's brains into mush..... I'm with you... money is a necessary evil... I mean we have to pay bills, blah blah blah... but beyond that... meh.... I don't have much lust in my heart for a whole lot of material things.

It seems like money/greed seem to be the root of evil in terms of so much negativity... I mean you don't have sayings like "Follow the money" for no reason, as usually is it the culprit behind so many crimes......

I have moments where I lust a bit after that big screen TV or huge RV, but for the most part I don't have much in the way of wanting money... at least money for monies sake.

Mrs. Chow has a SIL that I've talked about on the forum in the past, but this woman is just a greedy money lusting piece of work.... but whatever.....

I find that I'm fine with just simple things... things like good music... a little vino... and TACOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2014, 07:10 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
I want to officially announce that I dislike MOST of the smiley icons available on the forum but not ALL of them but I dislike them most when they are being used to be rude, condescending or to try and make you appear like an idiot who knows nothing.

When they are used in fun (just a few examples) they aren't so bad.

When I worked for child welfare we had a guy in one department that used that damned smiley face on everything and I mean everything. Every note, every memo, every piece of documentation he had to date and sign.
One year we were at the State Fair (family and I as in we) and I came across a T-shirt that I purchased for this guy just for fun.

It was a field of broken in half smiley faces across the entire front and back of the T-shirt and the Tazmanian Devil smiling dead center of them all........he laughed and laughed and laughed when I gave him that T-Shirt.
He also cut down the amount of smiley faces he used and wore that T-Shirt at least once a week to work, he loved it.

Okay, off of my sturdy ladder:

There is a great mis communication that has been around for years in regards to a statement that comes from the Bible (Chow, please bear with me here).

The statement says "Money is the root of all evil" (as mentioned by Chow already above)
however, the proper statement in the bible is:

"The LOVE of money is the root of all evil", these are two completely different statements and meanings and so many never grasp the actual meaning of that phrase.

Mr. CSD and I have had literally nothing before, when I got my second apartment after my divorce I had in the way of furniture. A small kitchen table and 3 chairs which I still have and use daily, one queen sized bed, one very cheap 4 drawer dresser, one computer that I used on the kitchen table, one set of pots and pans, 2 plates, 2 bowls, and one full set of silverware that I had because my Mother gave it to me and I had one spatula, one stirring spoon and one knife.

No chairs, no couch, no computer desk, my living room was completely empty and honestly I didn't care.

Now we have so much crap in our home it disgusts me.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:53 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
Quote:
I will never understand how money is such a motivator that people will allow someone to move into their home without doing all the necessary back ground checks, have funds in hand in full and then complain when they find out their renter is an axe murderer who is on vacation.

Is money really that important to so many that they forget all about common sense safety issues?
Is money really that important that they just make up some sort of "yeah you can move into my home and if I get around to it I'll see if you are a criminal or looney"?

I just don't get it, I know money is important for paying debts, buying food etc but money is not everything or the most important thing.
It just appears to me that money controls so many humans instead of those humans controlling their money.
A lot of people can be very greedy.

Why? I don't know.....like they say..."Money is the root of all evil." It's so hard for people to be satisfied with what they have and live within their means.

Personally. I don't really want much. I spend more money on food more than anything lol.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
A lot of people can be very greedy.

Why? I don't know.....like they say..."Money is the root of all evil." It's so hard for people to be satisfied with what they have and live within their means.

Personally. I don't really want much. I spend more money on food more than anything lol.

You would not believe the amount of money we spend on food for just the two of us and I cook at home often, not all the time but often.
I do make a lot of things from scratch and most of our meals together are very healthy and the ingredients are as fresh as possible but it is shameful what I spend on food.

It wasn't always that way though, we went more than a few years eating a lot of rice a roni, plain hamburgers, eggs, pancakes and peanut butter and jelly on toast for whatever meal we were having and oatmeal, applesauce and cottage cheese have pretty much been staples at dang near every meal the entire time we have been together. One time I think we had oatmeal for breakfast and supper for a week because we could not afford anything else that week and we survived just fine.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:05 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:
You would not believe the amount of money we spend on food for just the two of us and I cook at home often, not all the time but often.
I do make a lot of things from scratch and most of our meals together are very healthy and the ingredients are as fresh as possible but it is shameful what I spend on food.

It wasn't always that way though, we went more than a few years eating a lot of rice a roni, plain hamburgers, eggs, pancakes and peanut butter and jelly on toast for whatever meal we were having and oatmeal, applesauce and cottage cheese have pretty much been staples at dang near every meal the entire time we have been together. One time I think we had oatmeal for breakfast and supper for a week because we could not afford anything else that week and we survived just fine.
That's true, I like to cook, but I can easily survive on the very basics, and for a lot of the time. When I was single and living alone, lol, it could get pretty bad...

Anyway, like I said, I'm pretty easy, but I do like to know that I'll have a good meal coming up sooner or later.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:08 PM

I grew up on the poor side... ate a lot of canned goods growing up..... I come from a modest background.... I always had food and clothes and people had it much worse than I..... But yeah....oatmeal, as CSD said, for a couple of meals at a time wasn't that unheard in my house.

When my friends were at the malls buying clothes and CD's I was at home cause I was broke as a joke....

I'm not complaining but I think money or lack of money has a way of shaping us... good or bad or indifferent... I think it does to a degree.

I think for me, it was an impetus to go to college and get a decent job and step up the next level in terms of financial success... my parents were bartenders and waitresses and things of that ilk and not making disparaging remarks about that, as it's honest work and hard work at times....

I think we as a nation have evolved in to this "I'm college educated and above manual labor" mentality......jobs that others view as menial shouldn't be looked down on... it's honest and it's stuff that has to get done.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I grew up on the poor side... ate a lot of canned goods growing up..... I come from a modest background.... I always had food and clothes and people had it much worse than I..... But yeah....oatmeal, as CSD said, for a couple of meals at a time wasn't that unheard in my house.

When my friends were at the malls buying clothes and CD's I was at home cause I was broke as a joke....

I'm not complaining but I think money or lack of money has a way of shaping us... good or bad or indifferent... I think it does to a degree.

I think for me, it was an impetus to go to college and get a decent job and step up the next level in terms of financial success... my parents were bartenders and waitresses and things of that ilk and not making disparaging remarks about that, as it's honest work and hard work at times....

I think we as a nation have evolved in to this "I'm college educated and above manual labor" mentality......jobs that others view as menial shouldn't be looked down on... it's honest and it's stuff that has to get done.

When my brother and I were children my Mother worked at General Electric in Decatur, Illinois putting the circuit boards (think that is what they were called) together for GE electric products and small appliances.
My sperm donor was in and out of prison until I was about ten and when he was around life was one solid nightmare until he went back to prison.
As sad as it may sound I can honestly tell you the happiest days of my childhood were the days he was sent to prison and the saddest were the days he got released from prison.

She did what she could with what she had and I love her dearly even though the woman drives me crazy.
My Mother and her parents who obviously are my Grandparents are the 3 constant, stable adults throughout my childhood.
I have so many stories from when we were at their home as children and my brother and I were the only grand children until I was 11 and I was the only grand daughter until I was 15.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:33 PM

Chow, did you know you were poor when you were a child? We didn't have a clue and really didn't know until we were much older and out on our own in the real world.
Honestly, if we had to Mr. CSD and I and anyone in our families would go back to being waitresses and bartenders and any of those jobs to feed our families and pay our debts no matter what level of education we had and we would not be ashamed of it either.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
That's true, I like to cook, but I can easily survive on the very basics, and for a lot of the time. When I was single and living alone, lol, it could get pretty bad...

Anyway, like I said, I'm pretty easy, but I do like to know that I'll have a good meal coming up sooner or later.
We choose the best quality we can afford and pay cash for when it comes to everything.
Thank goodness Mr. CSD's parents were who they were and taught him and his 4 brothers what they needed to know about money, finances, being frugal and how to survive and do for yourself when you live alone.

Mr. CSD is one of 5 boys and every one of those boys can cook, do laundry, sew on a button, darn socks, iron, mop the floor, dust, run the sweeper, take out the trash, wash dishes, mow the lawn, repair any number of things, has basic electrical/wiring skills, basic mechanical knowledge.......all before Mom & Pop cut them loose on the rest of society.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Chow, did you know you were poor when you were a child? We didn't have a clue and really didn't know until we were much older and out on our own in the real world.
Honestly, if we had to Mr. CSD and I and anyone in our families would go back to being waitresses and bartenders and any of those jobs to feed our families and pay our debts no matter what level of education we had and we would not be ashamed of it either.
People always talk about growing up poor and not knowing it... I knew full well that we weren't in the money... like I said... people had it worse than I did and I never missed meals, but yeah... everyone else had nicer clothes and things of that order... but like I said.. I don't want to make it sound like I was Oliver Twist.. I just meant that I have pretty humble upbringing compared to others... but like the old saying goes, there are people better off and there are people worse off...... LOL

Bar tenders and waitresses can do ok depending where they work, but even at the end of the day if you're Flo or Alice, you can still put food on the table, but it can be hard work... long hours on your feet dealing with crappy people for pretty modest money....

America is and was built on hard work... like I said.. no shame in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships