Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 04:24 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmorangie View Post
Yeah, the meat color is probably closer to ham than anything else. But duck, like any other bird or ham, is only as good as it's prepared. If you have an authentic Chinese or Cantonese restaurant by you, go there for Peking duck with heavenly crispy skin. A good Korean BBQ place should also have some solid duck dishes.
When my husband goes to China there's a place he frequents for the duck. His supplier always makes the reservation for him, knowing that's exactly where he's headed. He's always been very predictable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Now I am going to have to make tacos, darn the luck
We had tacos two nights ago, but with ground turkey. I didn't eat them that night but I had a taco salad the next day for lunch...YUM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I also want to work turkey into a more frequent rotation. Next decent day I'd also want to light the charcoal grill and grill a bird.
We eat turkey pretty frequently. I actually don't buy beef anymore unless it's for meatloaf...can't sub ground turkey for that one.

Quote:
Car crashes scare me more than anything.
ME TOO! My kids driving is making me nervous. They are scheduled to take Driver's Ed in January, however I've already told them if they don't have A's and B's on their report cards, they can kiss it goodbye (and I'm PRAYING they both each get a C!)

Quote:
The last crash I had was four years ago when I totaled my pickup. I K/O'd a deer. That thud is not fun. I went for about fifteen years without a crash. I've scraped paint and cracked bumpers.
I saw a deer get hit the other day. It's something I wish I could unsee. It was horrible.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:28 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
ME TOO! My kids driving is making me nervous. They are scheduled to take Driver's Ed in January, however I've already told them if they don't have A's and B's on their report cards, they can kiss it goodbye (and I'm PRAYING they both each get a C!)
Wow, that's vile. Why would you want them to get a C . My parents always wanted me to get Straight A's. Of course that didn't happen every semester of undergrad, but the one time it did, I was presented with a brand new car .

Old 11-20-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Wow, that's vile. Why would you want them to get a C . My parents always wanted me to get Straight A's. Of course that didn't happen every semester of undergrad, but the one time it did, I was presented with a brand new car .
So that I can rightfully pull them out of Driver's Ed.

Sheesh...I'm not overly concerned about a C. In our Ef'ed up school system...we grade on the 7 point scale. They can have an overall average of 84 and be a C student.

You got a car for straight A's? Yeah, my kids got a pat on the back, and a "great job"!

I don't put much stock into grades, being a teacher I know how entirely flawed that system is.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
So that I can rightfully pull them out of Driver's Ed.

Sheesh...I'm not overly concerned about a C. In our Ef'ed up school system...we grade on the 7 point scale. They can have an overall average of 84 and be a C student.

You got a car for straight A's? Yeah, my kids got a pat on the back, and a "great job"!

I don't put much stock into grades, being a teacher I know how entirely flawed that system is.
Well, that semester I got an award for being among the top 5 % of university students. That also helped me get a summer session scholarship for courses (one of the few awards I actually worked very hard to earn).

I'm very sorry for boasting in the previous comment. I had a bad day today and cant really meet my daily progress requirements.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Well, that semester I got an award for being among the top 5 % of university students. That also helped me get a summer session scholarship for courses.
Congrats!

My kids do well in school, they don't need the added pressure from me to get straight A's. I expect that they do their best. If they can honestly say they did their best on an assessment and the best they could do was a C, then I'm fine with that.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:56 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
I was rolling into my old town in February in the aforementioned pickup. Dropping down the hill I clipped a deer. I knocked him over. I stopped looked. The effing deer walked away and it knocked some of the dirt off the pickup.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
My kids do well in school, they don't need the added pressure from me to get straight A's. I expect that they do their best. If they can honestly say they did their best on an assessment and the best they could do was a C, then I'm fine with that.
I kinda like your approach. But you know the deal with most indian parents, right. They push you for everything. Till a point, its OK, but especially at this age, when dad starts talking to me about the arranged marriage prospects, I get offended.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I really wish my parents were like that. I was hollered at and slapped if my grade was any lower than a B .
And what did that accomplish?

Old 11-20-2014, 05:01 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Sixy, I have a teacher story for you that you will appreciate since I am sure you have encountered and endured "literal" children.

My good friend/neighbor/landlord retired in 2006, she was the 2nd teacher for the same school for 35 years.
She continues to volunteer in the classroom one or two days a week and she will give extra help to students who need it.

A new to the area student is from Eqypt, he is 8 years old and we will call him "K". Recently K and his family lost a favorite Auntie who passed away and K is not real sure how to deal with his emotions. So our friend was trying to chat with K and she asked him this question:

"So K, how did you and your family get to Our city and state?"

K looked at her as serious as can be and said: "Well, airplane of course"

Old 11-20-2014, 05:03 PM

837 posts, read 960,925 times
Quote:
And what did that accomplish?
I was also raised by parents who told me they expected me to do the best I could (which meant doing what needed to be done to get the highest mark possible).

What did that accomplish? I guess I subconsciously got so turned off from academics that I went to art school to pursue a passion in a creative field!

I joke with them now that if they had made science and math more fun, I would've gone to school to be a rocket scientist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships