Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 04:42 PM

409 posts, read 498,444 times

Advertisements

I dunno, I guess with OLD you know people there are romantically inclined? I mean, I don't think I could ever ask a girl out IRL since it just never seems appropriate IMO (at least the places I go). Work? Don't **** where you eat. Gym? People go there to exercise, not to get hit on. Service Workers? I'm not going to exploit the fact that they are obligated to be nice to me to put them in an awkward position. Public Transport? People aren't there for your amusement or to talk. Library? Self-explanatory, people are there to study/read, not socialize loudly.

Last edited by ByronicCoward; 12-08-2014 at 05:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 07:26 PM

957 posts, read 1,061,523 times
I think real life is the easiest. It feels like there's way less pressure so I don't get as nervous.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:04 PM

607 posts, read 1,031,336 times
The majority of people that I know met their significant other online. I don't know anyone who actually goes out and meets people the old fashioned way.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:59 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,096,913 times
The issue with online dating is that people never delete their profiles and continue talking to other people while you can be dating someone.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:02 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,959,670 times
I've done really well with online dating, I like it.

My brother thinks it's ridiculous.

To each their own, although he does seem to pick up more women than I do(did) lol. Then again, he's single and deals with women he meets at the bar and I have a long term girlfriend.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:13 AM

103 posts, read 124,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMartialArtist View Post
you seem like a cool person, I would definitely talk to you in a public place. It is hard to find non main stream people ^ ^, and it is way harder to find someone that you wanna date + wanna date you.
I am a young East Asian guy, who has long hair, wears bright colors clothes, I would talk to most people who look at me and smile. I like to go out and meet new people, I am friends with young black males who like martial art, elder white lady who like meditation, yet, it is still very hard for me to find a girl in her 20s or early 30 who find me interesting.

I am really into girls who have some kind of talents that I can relate too, such as singing or playing an instruments, sustainability. So far, I have met 2, 1 at a friend pot luck and 1 on okc.
Where do you cool, non-mainstream girls hang out, I wanna know!
There's never any guarantee that who you meet is interested more than just socializing. However, meeting those of similar values and like minded is a good start (albeit difficult).

Given what you talked about, I think if you volunteer for groups or organizations that match your interest/values like sustainability, you'd meet someone similar to you, make friends, and even meet your future SO.

I volunteered at some organizations and met a lot of cool people. I didn't date anyone nor was there any interest but I made several great friends who are still friends with me now. It's really just another avenue of meeting people in person without the internet hassle.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:53 AM

103 posts, read 124,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post
Great post! Agree all the way.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I disagree to a certain extent. I think guys psyche themselves most of the time based on unreasonable and imagined assumptions that creates a fear of rejection and good excuse for not approaching someone. The often cited excuses start from a woman's looks (she's too hot, gets approached so much that she doesn't want to be bothered, or she looks like a *****), to other excuses such as she's busy, wants to be left alone, etc. At the end of the day it is the fear of rejection that stands as a barrier to making an approach, and this fear is typically unreasonable.

It is an unreasonable fear because most of the time, a rejection is hardly ever as bad as imagined. A rejection is usually never worse than a private embarrassment for the guy. Unless you do something really stupid, a woman is not going to lash out or publicly humiliate you. I have met many many women in my time through cold approaches and I have never been publicly humiliated or scolded by any of them. Logic tells me that there should have been a percentage of them that wanted to be left alone at the time. But even the anti-social, "leave me alone" types usually reject in a rather friendly manner or, at worst, by ignoring you.

To answer the OPs question: while I do think online dating is going to gain in popularity, I'm pretty certain that at some point it is going to become over saturated with guys to the point where it's going to be a hassle for these guys to deal with. By the way some posters talk about online dating today, that is already happening. Traditional dating will never be outdated as there will always be real men that approach women that they are attracted to (yes, I'm refering to these guys as real men) and don't have to defer to the cheaper alternative of finding a mate.
Finally a guy who gets it!! Thanks!!!

That's what a lot of females mean when they see a guy as being weak. I mean, think about it. If you were a female, would you want a guy who's afraid to talk to females for fear of "rejection"? Or would you wonder what else in normal, everyday life that he's afraid of? Is he going to be a whiny because he can't get what he wants simply because he refuses to put in the work? Mod cut. Why would I or any other female for that matter, want to deal with a guy who's so WEAK, sensitive, whiny, and overly fearful of NOTHING?! The point of having a man for a woman is that he can do his job, and part of that is being a leader/initiator, fearless protector.

I used the word guy(s) because MEN aren't going to weak and psych themselves out to be as scared as to even saying Hi to a female. Guys nowadays are. They expect females to "show" interest and give them some signals and make the first moves. If I, as a female, have to assume ROLE REVERSAL and have to take on masculine traits in order to get a guy who's not even strong enough to be a MAN, that would be idiotic and inappropriate to take on more baggages and I'd rather be alone (which I am).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QvJ3dXqmvw&spfreload=10

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-09-2014 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:37 PM

323 posts, read 308,721 times
Dating is outdated. Period, full stop.

Thanks to the hookup culture, you can hang out with a girl, have lots of sex, call her your gf if you want, and never go on one 'date'.

Or you can be the guy buying dinner, paying for movies, spending time trying to figure out WHAT you're going to do on a date, and be 'rewarded' with a hug or a kiss on the cheek. And as soon as she closes the door and you walk away, she's texting the local drug dealer and on her way to his place for sex. I have buddies that have had girls call them for sex BEFORE she went out with a guy who did the whole date thing.

I find the idea of paying for ANYTHING to spend time with a girl who serviced another guy minutes before I picked her up to be absolutely disgusting and extremely insulting. Even not paying anything other than my time is objectionable.

I'll be the guy she's calling for sex or I won't bother.

Dating is dead. Good riddance to bad rubbish

Old 12-09-2014, 03:02 PM

409 posts, read 498,444 times
WHoa.....the 1950s called...they want some of your mores back kittycat.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:18 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,959,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXXXI View Post
Dating is outdated. Period, full stop.

Thanks to the hookup culture, you can hang out with a girl, have lots of sex, call her your gf if you want, and never go on one 'date'.

Or you can be the guy buying dinner, paying for movies, spending time trying to figure out WHAT you're going to do on a date, and be 'rewarded' with a hug or a kiss on the cheek. And as soon as she closes the door and you walk away, she's texting the local drug dealer and on her way to his place for sex. I have buddies that have had girls call them for sex BEFORE she went out with a guy who did the whole date thing.

I find the idea of paying for ANYTHING to spend time with a girl who serviced another guy minutes before I picked her up to be absolutely disgusting and extremely insulting. Even not paying anything other than my time is objectionable.

I'll be the guy she's calling for sex or I won't bother.

Dating is dead. Good riddance to bad rubbish

If that's the type of crowd you roll with, all the power to ya.

There's plenty of decent women out there, I prefer to go for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships