Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 10:20 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,279,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I think, theres certain preferences that shouldn't be open. Whats wrong with just not replying to Asian, fat, ugly, old, short, bald men? Must one really need to state those preferences on their profile?

Online dating seems like a joke and a waste of time. I was open to trying it out, but I doubt I ever will.
I agree with this. Also, even when you state your preferences, that doesn't mean people are going to listen. Most men don't read the profiles and just look at the picture anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 10:22 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
I agree with this. Also, even when you state your preferences, that doesn't mean people are going to listen. Most men don't read the profiles and just look at the picture anyway.
Lol, how many times you women state an age preference on your profile, yet, you get these much older and really young men bombarding your inbox?

Old 09-05-2014, 10:43 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times
Quote:
Lol, how many times you women state an age preference on your profile, yet, you get these much older and really young men bombarding your inbox?
Lolyes. When I was doing OLD at 40, 98% of my email was from guys under 25 and the rest was from ones over 60.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:46 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,279,740 times
Quote:
Constantly! In the short time I was on OLD, I found that it was more the rule than the exception.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:53 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,198 times
Too many people approach OLD like going to Subway for a sandwich LOL.

"Uhh yeah I'd like a blonde over 5'8" and size 4 or smaller, green eyes, non smoker, college degree, etc." Haha

Old 09-05-2014, 10:58 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
I think, theres certain preferences that shouldn't be open. Whats wrong with just not replying to Asian, fat, ugly, old, short, bald men? Must one really need to state those preferences on their profile?

Online dating seems like a joke and a waste of time. I was open to trying it out, but I doubt I ever will.
You should try it at least once. It works for some people! Just don't go in with high expectations and it'll be fine.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:15 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,589 times
Your main beef is people are not castigated and shamed for expressing what you feel is offensive and racist.

I think people have preferences, what they are attracted to, what turns them on, what makes them excited, hot and motivated.

I think some people are racist, prejudiced, and not open to some things. For you it might be kids & ex'es, for them it's ethnic group x y or z, or others it's education, income level or body type/BMI.

I want them to disclose who they are, to show me without a PC filter, what they think. It's like getting someone DRUNK and then playing 20 questions. But they are doing it for you, for free - in advance! You should mentally thank them for not wasting your time.

If I do a search on an OLD site for the barest criteria "female, age 25-35 within 50 miles" I'll get 7,641 hits. That's too many to process. This is how people cut and filter down to ~100 profiles that they can actually read & respond to.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:53 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Too many people approach OLD like going to Subway for a sandwich LOL.
You can do that when YOU browse/search looking for that ideal purple unicorn.

The conflict is when it's laid out in those inelegant terms within the profile itself.
You'll never be contacted by the purple zebra or the chartreuse unicorn.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:23 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Tooo many!

Old 09-05-2014, 05:36 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
Anyone should be able to express preferences. Sure sometimes it's shallow and will eliminate all kinds of people who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships