Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 11:32 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,743 times

Advertisements

Can one give up what one never takes up? I looked around me and saw and the heartache, confusion and drama of my friends' dating or coupled up lives and thought 'I ain't gon' be doin' that.' I didn't and I won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 11:46 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
You guys say you give up on women.... until that hottie shows interest in you, Lol
Then my default response would be to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86URGgqONvA

I know me, and I also know anyone who'd be willing to put up with all the physical and psychological baggage that goes with being me would have a few dozen hefty suitcases of her own. Thanks but no thanks.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:55 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
I never gave up on women even after a divorce that I was basically burned alive in by my ex. I found my dream woman because of all that pain, but have now lost her to serious medical issues. I will never be in another relationship beyond being friends ever again, but I haven't really "given up on women." I like women. Very much. But my heart goes with the lady I have lost. There's just nothing left for me to give another that way. I'm not cold or standoffish with women, and most of my friends are women. My lady's close women friend have sort of adopted me, knowing the grief state I am in. They're great and are very supportive and understanding. Much more so than my male friends who are not understanding of how I feel at all. Telling me to just move on and don't look back. Since I knew this time was coming that I should have bailed long hence. It truly mystifies them why I stayed with her to the end instead of just finding someone else.

No, I certainly haven't given up on women, just on having intimate relationships that involve my heart. I have no heart to give. Not in that way, not anymore. And it's my women friends that understand me, and support how I feel. They know how much I loved my lady, and always will. Excluding all others. How I feel about this makes perfect sense to me. 20 years in a miserable marriage, then I find real, true honest love only to lose her after a short five years is just to much for me to be willing to take a chance again. I just have nothing left that way. In that sense I've "given up." I have two close personal woman friends I have known since high school, plus the new ones who were friends of my lady. I only have two men friends. When I hear men saying they have given up on women altogether I feel sorry for them. Women and men CAN be very good friends without romantic involvements. So from where I'm sitting just tossing women out of my life altogether doesn't make sense.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:53 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
Then my default response would be to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86URGgqONvA

I know me, and I also know anyone who'd be willing to put up with all the physical and psychological baggage that goes with being me would have a few dozen hefty suitcases of her own. Thanks but no thanks.
You can spout all your hatred about how atrocious relationships are, but you're not fooling me, or anyone else on these boards, LOl.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:04 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I will never be in another relationship beyond being friends ever again, but I haven't really "given up on women." I like women. Very much.

...I certainly haven't given up on women, just on having intimate relationships that involve my heart.

...When I hear men saying they have given up on women altogether I feel sorry for them. Women and men CAN be very good friends without romantic involvements. So from where I'm sitting just tossing women out of my life altogether doesn't make sense.
So sorry for your loss, brother.

My situation is very different from yours, but my feelings are the same.

I've been lucky to have had a few significant relationships and one long marriage to some amazing women. I still have some wonderful lady friends, love and admire women and am attracted to them. I'm not bitter about this.

But I have developed some physical disabilities over the past few years and I know that no woman is ever going to look at me in a romantic way again. My days of that kind of love and intimacy are over.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:24 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
I gave up on one as she was moody. I never knew what to expect.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:10 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
I haven't given up exactly, just not bending over backwards anymore because no woman appreciates it anymore. So I won't spend a lot of $$$, especially in the beginning, and I refuse to do any over the top romantic gestures. Its just not worth it. Times have changed and women no longer appreciate a good old fashioned man. I've never been a doormat "nice guy", BUT I'm also not overly assertive/aggressive with women. Not my style. Not passive, just don't over pursue and not a smooth talker. AT this point I'm exhausted from trying so hard so I'm just doing my own thing.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:03 AM

358 posts, read 208,243 times
I could never give up on women, unfortunately.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:10 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
Most of the "can take it or leave it" types I know just prefer to live or have a lifestyle that most others wouldn't really follow or have no interest in.

Their enjoyment of life simply lost the majority of its need to have a companion along the way with.

It's not that hey have given up so much as it is life was moving in a direction that really didn't need it to remain happy or fulfilled.

I understand it, the older I age the more the sentiments ring with me as well.
Life becomes less about wants and more about needs.

EDIT: old ass thread that I already answered years ago...

Old 06-12-2017, 11:30 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
So sorry for your loss, brother.

My situation is very different from yours, but my feelings are the same.

I've been lucky to have had a few significant relationships and one long marriage to some amazing women. I still have some wonderful lady friends, love and admire women and am attracted to them. I'm not bitter about this.

But I have developed some physical disabilities over the past few years and I know that no woman is ever going to look at me in a romantic way again. My days of that kind of love and intimacy are over.

Regrets expressed for your situation as well. I'm not bitter either. Many who know me on here have read my ravings bout how much I loved that little lady. It is a pretty devastating loss, especially to lose her that way. Even knowing the outcome going in I would still choose to be in the relationship. I can now say with certainty I have experienced True Love. THE one. Being with her has been the highest point of my life, right up there with when my son was born.

I am fortunate in having my lady friends. They have been a Godsend through this. Having been her friend and seeing us together they know all to well how I'm feeling and where I'm at. Truly, one of my two male friends is perilously close to not being a friend anymore. Perhaps my best friends being women sees my Man Card revoked with him and within certain circles, but I wouldn't change a thing. Things re as I need them to be that way. I don't feel one bit diminished as a man for having loved the way I have and for feeling extremely fortunate to have such wonderful lady friends.

Lemme check ...Yep! All maleness intact. One former friend of mine, a man, is extremely bitter and harsh in his attitude toward women. This jading has made him a serious control freak and that outlook seriously tainted our friendship. We had been friends since grammar school, but people change, and not always for the better. He was another who would have seen me bail when my precious lady got sick. There was no way I could have even considered it. Sticking through did gain me a couple new friends.

It's a rather ...odd...feeling isn't it. Just knowing with such certainty inside that you're done. The march is over. Taking such an entirely different outlook on life. I believe you know what I mean. Best of luck to you. One Lone Ranger on High Lonesome to another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships