Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 01:04 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,199,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
It does not necessarily mean that, one can't be certain of someone's thought process or judgment in such situations, but I think that sometimes it does mean exactly that, that they think their target is attainable to them because of some reason, the most common reason being that they are "ugly/average enough for me to have a shot"
But it varies. In some cases, people will approach anyone they have interest in, regardless of looks or status, simply because they're bold, and rejection may not be a big deal to them.

Others, it is the "ugly/average" thing

And in some cases, they recognize the other party is fine as hell, but they think the same of themselves. Basically, arrogant, and overestimating their looks and charm-depending on the type of person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 01:08 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,870,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
It's bad when they don't get the hint you aren't interested though. I have a few women in their 50's & 60's that just won't quit bothering me.
Dude, how old are you? What's up with that?

Old 10-03-2014, 01:09 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,199,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
It's not always age lol When I was around 12. I had on a skirt and spaghetti strap shirt-no bra. And my mother and I were shopping, she commented we needed to leave because I was attracting attention of old men. lol

So, some just go for younger

Old 10-03-2014, 01:11 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,717,144 times
It doesn't make me mad or upset at all. I just politely decline. There is never any reason to be rude, as others have stated.

If I ask a man out, I would hate it if he acted like a tool and was rude. Then I would want to punch him in the esophagus.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:43 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,653,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Ever? yes, when I was young and immature.
Recently?, no. But it should be a moment for self reflection if that is the only type of person of the opposite sex that shows interest in you. e.g. maybe you are not such hot stuff if the only guys approaching you are 'dorks' and 'losers'
It should be a moment of reflection, but not a reason to take it out on the other person. Rejection is part of dating. You're not supposed to take it personally if someone rejects you nor should you take it personally if the person who shows interest isn't the person you wanted. Sadly, there are people who can't handle this type of feedback. When the world tells them "you're not as hot as you think you are", they react badly.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:52 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,243,174 times
Quote:
I'm 38 & I don't know what's up with that other than these women tell me they don't want men their own age lol.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:00 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,021,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
It doesn't make me mad or upset at all. I just politely decline. There is never any reason to be rude, as others have stated.

If I ask a man out, I would hate it if he acted like a tool and was rude. Then I would want to punch him in the esophagus.
Right in the esophagus? That's a precision punch.

On the larger topic of this thread, I definitely think it is a waste of energy to get offended at such a thing. If someone is attracted to you and puts himself/herself out there chances are that was a challenge for that person. They are opening themselves up and showing a vulnerability. The least you can do is react in a way that preserves their dignity. It is entirely possible to decline without being an a$$hat about it.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:03 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,870,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
I'm 38 & I don't know what's up with that other than these women tell me they don't want men their own age lol.
Do they look old (= are they delusional), or do some of 'em look younger than their age? I've had my mind blown by women who I thought were my age, but they turned out to be 40's--early 50's.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:05 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,210,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
If someone shows interest in you, but it's someone you don't find desirable, how do you react? I've noticed that some people actually get offended. It's something you expect to see in high school, but it's kind of sad to see it among adults. OK, so the ugly guy or the fat girl dared to ask you out. Why get upset about it? Why not just be flattered by the attention, assuming they showed that attention in a classy way? IMO, the people who get offended are the people who think being asked out by an undesirable person is a reflection of their own desirability. Did you ever get offended because someone you found undesirable or "out of your league" asked you out or showed interest?

Absolutely not. I find all compliments a compliment. A simple "I'm sorry I'm just not connecting with you" or "I'm sorry I just don't feel the same way," is pretty simple to relay.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:37 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,243,174 times
Quote:
Do they look old (= are they delusional), or do some of 'em look younger than their age? I've had my mind blown by women who I thought were my age, but they turned out to be 40's--early 50's.
They look their age pretty much. Attractive for their age & all for the most part, but beyond my preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships