Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 03:28 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Do you have a sister? Or any other women in your life who would be in a position to try to set you up? I don't have the specific cites to link but I've read that despite the popularity of online dating, personal connections still result in more relationships. So get the word out to that you are receptive to being set up. It's a rare woman who doesn't have a friend she'd love to introduce to a great guy!
My sister has failed me in this regard.

I can't blame her too much now anyway. My family lives in another state (I moved), and they have no connections where I live now. So unfortunately they can do very little for me. The guy's wife I mentioned had a friend that she tried to set me up with, but admittedly I blew one solid opportunity because I didn't really approach her. My bad.

Meetups and co-ed sports leagues have been the best options for me. As I said earlier in the thread, as long as I'm given the chance, I think I can appeal to a lot of women. It's just a matter of getting the proverbial foot in the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 03:33 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Try a shirtless selfie.

Your inbox will get bombarded with messages.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
No shirtless pics, clean up and take a new photo. Minus the headband!

Old 10-13-2014, 03:44 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
That's a lot better than a lot of dudes get. You're getting dates from half the women who respond to you, and nearly 3/4 are responding to your messages. And you're frustrated with that?! Wow! You don't know how good you have it! Stick around here and read the threads by dudes who get virtually nothing.

Yep, i agree to that!!!

Old 10-13-2014, 03:46 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
About the only site I've heard of people having success meeting similarly relationship-minded people is eHarmony, but you have to pay for that, and a lot of it is out of your control. One of my friends is marrying a man she met through that, actually.
I've been using both Match and eHarmony and have been much more satisfied with eH than Match.

One benefit of eH is that the number of potential connections/matches is limited; it also does seem that the average eH user is more serious about finding a relationship than the average Match user.

Another advantage to eH is that it isn't as time consuming as Match. You get a few matches and potential/what if matches and login to quickly view their profile/snapshot and go from there. Once you've exhausted that day's matches and potentials, that's pretty much the only time you'll devote to the site unless you start messaging someone, going through questions, etc. On Match, you can search profiles indefinitely with no limit to how much time you spend on the site.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:47 PM

331 posts, read 1,052,510 times
I quickly scanned through the thread to see if this was mentioned. I used match a few years ago and you can be a member and have an active profile without paying but you cannot send or read messages sent to you. They will send you an email stating that you have been sent a message but will want you to pay to read it. I'm not sure if it's still like this but I know many people who signed up for match and never bothered to pay or do anything except browse. This may not be the case for all the women you messaged but I bet a few fall in that category.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:00 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I just like the old fashion way of meeting people better. If I met him offline, right off the bat I know it would have never worked because I could have smelled the smoke and seen his mouth.
I agree except I would say "old fashioned way" as in prior to telephones and cars. I want to meet someone in the natural course of my life and develop feelings for them (it has happened several times) and have them reciprocate it (this part hasn't happened at all). Dating, especially OLD, but all dating, seems artificial.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:03 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
I agree except I would say "old fashioned way" as in prior to telephones and cars. I want to meet someone in the natural course of my life and develop feelings for them (it has happened several times) and have them reciprocate it (this part hasn't happened at all). Dating, especially OLD, but all dating, seems artificial.
So, Walnut Grove and Conestoga wagons then?

Old 10-13-2014, 05:09 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I'll be honest. Sweaty-faced from the gym with a headband like 1986 isn't going to impress. Plus, your picture is from 2011. Clean up, post a current, decent headshot in real clothing, and see what happens.
It's the photo. You are a good looking guy, and obviously take care of yourself. Lose the cheesy look. No headband or sweatiness.

Those are all very good looking women. They get messaged a lot online. They probably aren't checking and they are inactive anyways. Most of my single hot girlfriends don't do OLD, they just meet people out.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:11 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
So, Walnut Grove and Conestoga wagons then?
I mean just meeting people in the natural course of your life and having "one thing lead to another", as opposed to having to formally ask people out whom you just met. Like in Princess Bride, Wesley and Buttercup didn't have to go out on formal dates, they just were acquaintances, got to know each other and developed feelings. I've experienced it, but only on my end. The other person never reciprocates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships