Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 05:42 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
In the movies, things work out for the good. In real life, REASONABLE people either move on with a divorce or cheat. They don't just stick around helplessly unless they have issues. Not doing anything regarding a serious situation means it is not normal and you have issues.

My statement still stands.
And your statement is still incomplete.

"Cheat" or "leave" are NOT the only options in a situation like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 06:35 AM

321 posts, read 292,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

True, there are many many other solutions.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:50 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,972,661 times
Quote:

Ok, you got me! I see where you are coming from.

The bottom line is action must be taken and usually is- even if it results in counseling or otherwise. Most normal and or reasonable people just don't stick it out and accept it at face value and remain in state- reason for the high divorce rates.

We can discuss the ins and outs of people sticking it out but why? Why even leave that option on the table? We shouldn't even be discussing "sticking it out".

Old 10-30-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustelid1971 View Post
True, there are many many other solutions.
You are right. I am not the and all be all but sticking it out SHOULD NOT BE PART OF THIS DISCUSSION nor is saying that people do. We should be moving away from this.

But the OP's SO has had this issue with her ex. It's been 5 years and he knew all along. The question is, why now? Is he really committed to action? I suspect he may have issues of his own.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:05 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
You are right. I am not the and all be all but sticking it out SHOULD NOT BE PART OF THIS DISCUSSION nor is saying that people do. We should be moving away from this.

But the OP's SO has had this issue with her ex. It's been 5 years and he knew all along. The question is, why now? Is he really committed to action? I suspect he may have issues of his own.
He is definitely part of the problem. It's just easier and less painful to make it "her problem with low libido."

I don't recommend "sticking it out." Life is too long for that. He can do something about it, but what needs to be done is not (immediately) as fun as fantasizing. It's one of those situations where it could be better in the long run ... if he is willing to have some vulnerable, difficult conversations in the short run.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
He is definitely part of the problem. It's just easier and less painful to make it "her problem with low libido."

I don't recommend "sticking it out." Life is too long for that. He can do something about it, but what needs to be done is not (immediately) as fun as fantasizing. It's one of those situations where it could be better in the long run ... if he is willing to have some vulnerable, difficult conversations in the short run.
Fair enough!

Old 10-30-2014, 07:58 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,631,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Long story short....I've been in a 5yr relationship where I am a very sexual man while she has a very low sex drive. She tells me that she's always been this way and doesnt know why. She's been to doctors and they tell her the reason for it is due to work related stress. She tells me that she's deeply in love with me and it has nothing to do with me, but instead with her libido.

Sex with us (or for me at least) is just a physical act. There's no passion in it. It's sad because everthing in our relationship is just about perfect. I've sat her down several times to speak about this issue. She'll make an attempt to be sexual in the following days but it actually turns me OFF because I know she's doing so as a result of our conversation and not because its who she is by nature. It just feels fake and forced.

I'm at a point where I'm thinking, do I just tell her this isnt working and we need to go our own ways before I cheat and hurt her? She's a wonderful woman and hurting her is the last thing I want to do but I dont know how much longer I can deal with being in a relationship where there is just no sexual chemistry between us.
If she had a low sex drive before you married her then perhaps you shouldn't have married her in the first place.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:18 AM

17,538 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Here is the same issue from my (a woman) point of view. I have been married for 30 years to my husband, who I do love and relationship is good in every way EXCEPT for sex. We have never been sexually compatible and without going into detail about the whys, I will only say that when I married him I had had several sexual partners (boyfriends) and knew what to compare to. There have always been intimacy issues with DH, and over time I just "tolerated" sex with him. He was NEVER interested in making it good for me. Now for the past 15 years he hasn't even wanted to at all. At first I was relieved, but now at age 65 I have a higher drive than ever and am lamenting that I let so much of my life go by without this important part of my life. Remember it is NOT just "sex" but the intimate and sensual aspect that most women crave. Are you giving that to her?

Anyway, at this point I have never cheated but I have been tempted. Yes, I do relieve myself. If someone is the way they are you cannot change them. Are you prepared to go the rest of your life with little to no sex, or really unsatisfactory sex? These are hard and important questions. I will say it is very difficult to find someone with whom you are truly compatible in every way, just read the answers here - usually you get one or the other. Which is more important? Also, sometimes sex might be really amazing at first but over time you become familiar with that partner, it gets boring, or daily life gets in the way and affects the libido.

There have been some good suggestions here. At this point you are not married, so the commitment is not that large. In my case, I won't be leaving or cheating; I will be content with my fantasies and my many hobbies. I usually don't talk about this stuff on public forums, but it comes up time and again, and I think it is something very important to discuss, so many of us have similar issues.

Good luck OP, I hope you find a satisfactory answer for your situation.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
If she had a low sex drive before you married her then perhaps you shouldn't have married her in the first place.
1orlando, it's not to put the OP down or anthing of that nature but it would be too easy.

But you are totally correct and like I said, he needs to take responsibility cause he knew it before.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:28 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,767 times
I doubt the OP came here for judgement - or metaphorical tutting - or questioning of his original choices. I think it would be more on topic to the thread - and helpful to the OP - to realise that the OP is here asking where to go from here - not to be made feel bad about how he got here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships