Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 10:01 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
He lives in the south. If you get away from the coasts, beers at dive bars can still often be $1 in much of the U.S., especially during happy hours and the like. (Sometimes it's even free at the right times.) You're not going to find a coffee for $1 unless you're at McDonald's or a gas station. Granted, I'm not very likely to go to a rural dive bar for a first date, but if I were on a budget I'd do that before I'd go to McDonald's or a gas station.
Lol!
Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 01:53 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,162,840 times
I love coffee. I go to Starbucks every once in a while, but I find the coffee too sweet at times. I usually get an Iced Mocha and when it is really dark, I know they used too much mocha syrup or whatever syrup they use, then when I drink it, it is like drinking a melted candy bar. I sometimes request 2 pumps only of syrup, but that makes it taste just like milk. Now, I just make my own coffee more. I like the idea of Starbucks, but the reality is different from my fantasy. When I used to drink it every day years ago, I didn't even notice the sweetness, until I started going less and then I really noticed the sugar.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:43 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,372,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
i posted the same thing you did, but people on this thread said alcohol costs no more than coffee.
^Didn't mean to repeat your point-I agree with what you said.

Those who'd say alcohol (at a bar) is cheaper than going to a coffee place are going to different sorts of places, more high-end cafes (or cheaper bars/happy hour).
When I say coffee place, I mean a cheap eatery that does serve coffee (though does not "specialize" in it) and doesn't serve alcohol.

Not to mention, chances are it's harder to see & hear each other (which I'd class as a disadvantage) in a bar compared to a well-lit and not overly noisy coffee place.
I pick somewhere that feels like a safer environment/location than a bar.

And I don't actually order & drink a coffee, that's just a label for the kind of business I mean.
I buy a bottled juice for $3, which I carry home & drink later.
The purchase is just so I don't get shooed out of the cafe as a vagrant/loiterer.

Plus, what if I were driving to & from the place ? I wouldn't want to be intoxicated, that could be hazardous.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:12 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,013,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
I've been out of circulation for quite some time, so I'm out of the loop on something that I've noticed when trying out online dating, or the few times I've been flirted with in person in the past few years:

These days, men seem to ask women out for coffee.
Back in my day, it was usually, if not lunch or dinner, out for cocktails at a bar.

Why has that changed? I know things evolve with time, like fashion and music, and I guess even the dating scene changes. I'm curious to see if anyone knows why. I've never liked coffee. A coffee meeting sounds about as social and sexy as a business meeting. Meeting at a bar for drinks would seem more flirty.

going for coffee is a low investment in time and money to confirm she (and he) measures up to her profile and online personality. if it's good, you could always go someplace else. i did OLD years ago and never appreciated the in-person surprises, sure sucks too when ended up doing dinner and drinks with someone you just discovered isn't going to work out.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:52 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Those who'd say alcohol (at a bar) is cheaper than going to a coffee place are going to different sorts of places, more high-end cafes (or cheaper bars/happy hour).
When I say coffee place, I mean a cheap eatery that does serve coffee (though does not "specialize" in it) and doesn't serve alcohol.
Going to a cheap eatery and only ordering coffee is generally considered poor form, particularly if you're not going to leave a big tip. You're occupying space intended to be occupied by people eating a meal.

I assumed it was understood that "going for coffee" means going to a coffee shop, and "going for a drink" means going to a bar, so that was the price comparison I was making.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:05 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Mall? I think he was talking about a coffee shop, and probably not a Starbucks (hopefully). They are packed in most places. Lots of students studying in them. Often hard to get a place to sit any time of the day IME.
Coffee shops are crowded but still more intimate than a bar IMO.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:50 AM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
One word: microbrewery. Just enough class, but with affordable food options, emphasis on option. What I do is start with 1 round of beers, but after the first 10 minutes or so if I notice things are going well, I ask the waitstaff for a food menu.

Good microbrew is meant to be consumed more slowly, so won't get you too tipsy too quickly, but enough alcohol will be in your system to loosen up a bit.

Granted, I live in the Northwest where these types of establishments are numerous. The cost is only modestly higher compared to coffee unless you buy cheap coffee shop options like the house drip coffee or tea. A latte will run $4.50 while a microbrew pint is $5-7.

I love coffee shops and am completely down for those, but I associate them study or work.

Last edited by redguard57; 11-05-2014 at 05:07 AM..

Old 11-05-2014, 06:05 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker2014 View Post
Coffee shops are crowded but still more intimate than a bar IMO.

I don't see it. They're bright. People are studying. Not intimate at all. A nice tavern/lounge/bar with subdued lighting and people being social, laughing, whispering, flirting, etc is far more intimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
One word: microbrewery. Just enough class, but with affordable food options, emphasis on option. What I do is start with 1 round of beers, but after the first 10 minutes or so if I notice things are going well, I ask the waitstaff for a food menu.

Good microbrew is meant to be consumed more slowly, so won't get you too tipsy too quickly, but enough alcohol will be in your system to loosen up a bit.

Granted, I live in the Northwest where these types of establishments are numerous. The cost is only modestly higher compared to coffee unless you buy cheap coffee shop options like the house drip coffee or tea. A latte will run $4.50 while a microbrew pint is $5-7.

I love coffee shops and am completely down for those, but I associate them study or work.

They are numerous most of the (civilized) country, and going to a brewpub and getting a tasting flight or two is a good start to a date.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:42 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I think it is probably because meeting for coffee is less expensive. Then maybe if they want to see you again they may take you to dinner, etc.

If not, they haven't put out a lot of money.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:01 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't see it. They're bright. People are studying. Not intimate at all. A nice tavern/lounge/bar with subdued lighting and people being social, laughing, whispering, flirting, etc is far more intimate.
Who needs to be intimate with a stranger? All you're doing at a first date from OLD is finding out if the photo matches the live human, and if the live personality matches the online one. And from there, you're waiting to see if you click with each other on some level. First dates happen in restaurants, popular bakeries (coffee/lunch), in bars, or outside in the park. It's premature to seek an intimate atmosphere for a meet-and-greet date.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-05-2014 at 12:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships