Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:49 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,965,351 times

Advertisements

I read a lot of CD posters talking a lot about online dating site disasters and difficulty of finding someone and all the horror stories etc. But, people I know in real life, all seem to have had GREAT success with just using Match.com.

My question is - CD'ers, why not just use Match.com and forget about all those other questionable dating sites?

I know 13 married couples who met on Match. I know several more people who are in serious relationships with people they also met on Match. It seems to me that this is really the only way to go for those who want to meet someone. Of all these people, they all say that the other sites are not good (except a couple said e-harmony is okay).

Just curious as to why no one here uses it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 08:54 AM

896 posts, read 1,476,928 times
Here, let me explain it to you.

The problem with dating in bars and night clubs is simple. 90% of the women are there hoping to meet their future husband. And 90% of the men are there hoping to get boinked that night. And hopefully not with that chick they boinked last night.

Online dating? See above.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
My question is - CD'ers, why not just use Match.com and forget about all those other questionable dating sites?

i subscribed to match.com for a month about 3 or 4 years ago. i thought it was like a $40/month version of plenty of fish, only it is filled with fake and nonpaying profiles.

so you have two issues in my mind -- one is that online dating in general is not a good way for me to meet people. two, is that i found match.com to be the worst site that I tried.

Last edited by le roi; 12-28-2010 at 10:36 AM..

Old 12-28-2010, 09:44 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times
Quote:
I read a lot of CD posters talking a lot about online dating site disasters and difficulty of finding someone and all the horror stories etc. But, people I know in real life, all seem to have had GREAT success with just using Match.com.

I know 13 married couples who met on Match. I know several more people who are in serious relationships with people they also met on Match. It seems to me that this is really the only way to go for those who want to meet someone. Of all these people, they all say that the other sites are not good (except a couple said e-harmony is okay).

I don't think this is the only way to go, but I do think Match is better than POF or Craigslist. I like the premise behind eHarmony, but I realize a lot of people need to feel like they're in control and not just waiting for someone else to pick their matches for them. In general, success at online dating really depends on what you put into it. I've gone on sites like Match and seen women write really short profiles, like just a few sentences. They'll say something along the lines of "I hate writing about myself so if there's anything you wanna know, just ask." Really? So out of all the women on here, you expect me to contact you based just on that little blurb and your pictures? If you think that, then you must have a pretty high opinion of yourself. Men are expected to pursue and women rarely make the first move. Fine. I get it. But is it too much to ask that they give us something to work with? If all I know about you is your age, height, etc. and what you look like, how does that make you stand out from the crowd?

Old 12-28-2010, 09:51 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,659,477 times
I've been on match.com since October of 2009. I've sent probably 2-3 hundred emails out, but I have yet to have one single follow through on a match, although yesterday I received my first "no thanks" email response. I paid for the profile review service, and for the email tracking service. Come to find out that most of the emails are never even opened. I really, I guess naively thought, that most members on match.com were looking for someone in their area, and would be willing to at least try one or two face-to-face meetups before deciding if someone is a match or not. I'll be cancelling my account on Jan. 1st.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:12 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times
One of the problems with Match and most dating sites is that they present women with too many choices. Isn't it like a 10:1 ratio of men to women? Or something pretty lopsided. So women can afford to be picky. If you met her out in public, she might at least talk to you. But since she has SO many other men to choose from, there's little risk in her rejecting you. I think eHarmony is the only site where the women actually outnumber the men.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:25 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,689,127 times
If anyone I know has met anyone on that site, they've kept it a secret. Don't know a soul who's had any luck with online dating and I have a pretty big social circle. Like someone else said, seems those sites are 100:1 male to female ratio, with many of the female profiles being "fake". So much easier to meet people in real life.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:29 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
One of the problems with Match and most dating sites is that they present women with too many choices.

Isn't it like a 10:1 ratio of men to women? Or something pretty lopsided. So women can afford to be picky. If you met her out in public, she might at least talk to you. But since she has SO many other men to choose from, there's little risk in her rejecting you. I think eHarmony is the only site where the women actually outnumber the men.
if you're a male younger than 30, this is the long and short of it. The gender odds are something like 2:1 or 3:1, but once you start correcting for single, childless people with active profiles, who are looking to date, you are easily looking at 5 or 10 males for every 1 female, sure. I find that this is a nice, symmetrical contrast to the fraternity parties we threw in college, where you had 2 or 3 good looking girls for every guy at the party. To me it is no secret where to find single girls, and it isn't on the internet.

as a comparison, my mother is 57, and she had her pick of successful men willing to drive from different states. for her, spending the money makes sense as long as she is adept at sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Last edited by le roi; 12-28-2010 at 10:39 AM..

Old 12-28-2010, 10:29 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,646,674 times
Quote:

I encouraged my daughter to sign up on it. She did a month of it last year, it was okay but to be honest she was quite busy and didn't really take any of it too seriously. Now she moved out of state, is ready to start a relationship but due to her situation she isn't working outside of the home (she's a nanny for her best friends) and to be honest her odds of meeting someone really shrank.
So, I suggested she try it again, whole new state, new men, new attitude and she did sign up. So far so good, just in the initial stages of talking and learning about new men but it's okay!

I don't have any gripes with online dating, I think that match is one of the better sites just because there does seem to be a lot of success with it but I've also used it in the past and had a lot of fun with it.

Like I say to her, dating is what you make of it, if you're a hard to please person and you have a list of expectations a mile long, no man will ever be good enough. The only way to know if you like someone is to meet them, talk get to know them, etc...

I think people should try online dating and have an open mind about it.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:30 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,696,091 times
Yeah, my mom and her boyfriend met online, either Match or Chemistry. They get along very well. She also had another relationship with a guy she'd met online, but it didn't work out because of the distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships