Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 08:52 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times

Advertisements

She can't like you if she's never met you or had any contact with you. She may be amenbale to a date, but that's really not the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 09:15 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
I think it's important to note that this will be the OP's first date ever. So of course he wants it to be perfect in every single way.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:18 AM
SF

286 posts, read 324,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
A couple months ago my brother set me up with a woman who was attractive and supposedly liked me (based on his description of me to her). I cancelled because I found out she is 2 years older than me and divorced. Now I'm rethininking because, well, I don't have other options. What can it hurt? Worst-case scenario is we have a boring dinner conversation and part ways. Right?

How old are you? I am asking because if you are an adult then why do you let other people set up dates for you. I don't think it works that way.I don't understand this? How can your brother know what you want in a woman, how can he be so sure about your needs?

The entire logic behind this seems nonsense, at least to me.

Anyway,

I would suggest to be sure what you want in a woman and then look for or wait for such a woman and then take it forward. Why must you accept dates set up by other people? So what if they are your well wishers?

It good to know that at least you didn't take it forward for the sake of it and that you cancelled. In future I hope you will find a woman yourself and take things forwards

Old 12-03-2014, 09:21 AM

11,794 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF View Post
How old are you? I am asking because if you are an adult then why do you let other people set up dates for you. I don't think it works that way.I don't understand this? How can your brother know what you want in a woman, how can he be so sure about your needs?
It DOES work that way! A date is merely an opportunity for two people to meet. What is so difficult to understand? It doesn't matter what each of their needs are, that is for them to find out. The brother, or any other person offering to set up a date with someone is just creating an opportunity to meet someone you otherwise wouldn't have.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:31 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF View Post

The entire logic behind this seems nonsense, at least to me.

Anyway,

I would suggest to be sure what you want in a woman and then look for or wait for such a woman and then take it forward. Why must you accept dates set up by other people? So what if they are your well wishers?

It good to know that at least you didn't take it forward for the sake of it and that you cancelled. In future I hope you will find a woman yourself and take things forwards
Not really. Adults introduce single friends/acquaintances/coworkers to other single friends/acquaintances/coworkers and it can go so far as setting up a "date."

Of course, since you admitted in the other threads you have not dated, are likely never to, and do not have interest in a woman in your life, I guess you would not be an expert on how people get dates anyway.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:21 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,220,578 times
I disagree with the posters here. A friend recently set me up on a date. She approached me saying "I have the perfect girl for you". And she was right. This girl was exactly my type physically, had the right profession that I'm looking for, and is very intelligent. Unfortunately, I'm not her type (according to her friend), but I'm passable, I suppose, since we're still talking and we're setting up our third date.

I think getting set up by friends is a great idea.

And, OP, just go out on the date. You don't have to marry her.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:50 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,425,022 times
Quote:
A couple months ago my brother set me up with a woman who was attractive and supposedly liked me (based on his description of me to her). I cancelled because I found out she is 2 years older than me and divorced. Now I'm rethininking because, well, I don't have other options. What can it hurt? Worst-case scenario is we have a boring dinner conversation and part ways. Right?

Dude, stop sweating all the small stuff. Become a do-er not a person that talks about doing stuff. And your life will be much better.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:59 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,862,808 times
Quote:
Right. Who knows? You might get along. 2 years older is negligible as far as an age difference goes. You really do sound like a greehorn, lol! If you have concerns about her, why don't you find out more about her from your brother? Stuff like general personality and character traits? Possible interests you might have in common. That sort of thing.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:01 PM

11,794 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Right. Who knows? You might get along. 2 years older is negligible as far as an age difference goes. You really do sound like a greehorn, lol! If you have concerns about her, why don't you find out more about her from your brother? Stuff like general personality and character traits? Possible interests you might have in common. That sort of thing.
See, for something that is just a first meeting/date, I'd rather form my own first impression instead of having it filtered through my sibling's opinion. That way you don't have any expectations built up based on what someone else said and end up feeling let down if you don't perceive it the same way.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:08 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,862,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
See, for something that is just a first meeting/date, I'd rather form my own first impression instead of having it filtered through my sibling's opinion. That way you don't have any expectations built up based on what someone else said and end up feeling let down if you don't perceive it the same way.
Maybe. That makes sense. But the OP was seriously considering backing out, just based on the fact the woman was 2 years older and divorced. It seemed like a little persuasion was called for, in order to get him back on track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships