Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 04:30 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by girleylips View Post
Would you ever go back, if you could, in time up to your wedding day and call off the wedding? ( i mean knowing what you know now) ? Whether you are divorced or are still married. Would you say that you were in love back then or we you just infatuated with the person? are you more in love then ever now? what would you do differently? i would love to know everyones opinions. It might help me or someone else in the long run.

Basically, are you happy with your marriage...would you change what happened? please explain....

YES!!!!

Yes!!!

With all my heart and soul

with every breath that I take

Yes er e bubba or bubbette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 07:56 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Quote:
yes i understand that but if the children were not a factor, would you have still married him? were you in this so called "LOVE" when you married him? or was it lust/infatuation?
We were engaged for four years. So, it was not lust or infatuation. I did love him.

The thing was... he wanted so badly to get married, and I did not. When are we gonna get married...I guess I was 18 when we got engaged. Barely.

Dec 23, 91. Engaged for four years and didn't want to get married.

Someone was trying to tell me something, but I didn't listen. I married him.

If the children were not a factor, if they were never a part of my life to begin with.....

No. I would not have married him. If I got a peek into the future on my wedding day I would have ran the other way. As fast as I could, never to ever turn around.

Alas, I cannot think that, because the children are a factor, and we cannot see the future.

I can tell you this, besides my kids, my future is far greater than my past.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:16 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
I love my husband but I would have to go with the "run the other way and don't look back" theory. It was me who wanted to tie the knot after so many years of living together and having a child together. I just thought it was the right thing to do and both our families and the kids (I also have one from a previous marriage) wanted us to be married. I would do things very differently if I could do it all over again. This is in no way a bad reflection on my husband, as he is a wonderful man. I am just super independent. I do what I want, when I want and don't like anyone questioning me about what I do, how much I spend, etc.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:57 AM

My last post on this thread was done under the influence...and, as always, did not read it correctly, as I was skimming and had taken a pain pill for a root canal that went bad.....anyway,

when I married my first hubby,we were both, exceptionally young, selfish, immature.

I had mistaken love for the love of a, lets say brother....we were best friends...and probably still would be....

He came from a good family, but had a problem....and he admitted this to the counselor....he said, it was nothing I did, that it was him....everytime he saw a popular girl in school, and even thereafter, he had to ask her out, just to see if she would go out with him. He and the counselor worked it out...but the marriage had already dis shelved and I no longer had felt the same way towards him....he hurt me to much. But after the divorce, we were best of friends...and it was terrific for my sons sake. He had even met a women, whom I would have been proud to call my friend and have her be the stepmother of my son. Actually, I grew to admire her for her fairness and personality. She would have been a gem of a wife and mother and she was young enough to still have children with him.

But...her best friend, who is now my son's stepmother...evil woman and set her hooks into my son's father for the money...he was very well to do.

I saw that really nice woman right after this happened...and, saddly, she was a mess....but, I told her, it's better you know now...and since then....my ex, had adopted his now wife's children, therefore, he had way to much to loose, and he, and his wife, straightened him out....Lost contact with her as I moved away and oft times wonder about her, where she is, who she's with, and I hope she found a man who showers her with what she deserves. Her best friend who took her boyfriend away from her (my ex) is not a happy woman...

She set out to destroy the friendship between my ex and myself...she was very jealous...others saw it...and she hated my son...hit him and battered him mentally, took away self esteem, etc.

Would I go back...no, but...I always am greatful that we had our son....he was a magnificant gift. Fair, gentle, a joy to be around, with a positive attitude and a gift for attracting friends...everyone loved him. He was the best child and we had a great life. I miss that boy/now man, dearly...

My ex is now a dear sweet man, and I believe he has never ever cheated on his wife...and there is still a charism between us...always will be, b/c we had a child together, and there is always a bond...but....I wouldn't go back.

Creme

Old 01-12-2008, 07:00 AM

672 posts, read 2,125,614 times
Well, I believe I would call mine off if I could go back in time, and know what I know now. We were just too young to be married then. Plus, we met and married all within the same year. Then, I stayed single for two decades. But engaged to one now that I've been with for four years. I'm a little older now, (and wiser?) I guess. I believe it will work this time though!

Old 01-12-2008, 08:31 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,607,550 times
Quote:
Would you ever go back, if you could, in time up to your wedding day and call off the wedding? ( i mean knowing what you know now) ? Whether you are divorced or are still married. Would you say that you were in love back then or we you just infatuated with the person? are you more in love then ever now? what would you do differently? i would love to know everyones opinions. It might help me or someone else in the long run.

Basically, are you happy with your marriage...would you change what happened? please explain....
No, absolutely not, I would still do it all over again. I was in LOVE before my wedding, on my wedding and still am today.

Sure there are a few things I could of done differently, but if changing those things would change the way things are today, I'm not sure I would change them.

I am completely happy with my husband, my KIDS, my own family, my in-laws and my Life! I have really been blessed.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
No, absolutely not, I would still do it all over again. I was in LOVE before my wedding, on my wedding and still am today.

Sure there are a few things I could of done differently, but if changing those things would change the way things are today, I'm not sure I would change them.

I am completely happy with my husband, my KIDS, my own family, my in-laws and my Life! I have really been blessed.

Kudos and great to read....brings a smile to the soul....thank you for sharing this....

Hugs Creme

Old 01-12-2008, 11:06 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
NO
YES
YES

I would NEVER go thru with the first one again......

The second one was great.....right up til the time she wanted a divorce so I would do it again.

The third times a charm and I would do it all over again anytime.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:17 AM

320 posts, read 954,809 times
thank you all for your stories they were pretty touching i enjoyed reading them, even if you wouldn't do it all over again...thank you much!!!

Old 01-15-2008, 09:41 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
We married young. Me-19, him 20. And we were immature etc. The first few years we fought like cats and dogs! But we really loved each other and we both had very strong convictions about them permanency of marriage.

So with God's grace, we have made it 32 years together now. I would change some decisions in our lives, but never the marriage. Still in love!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships