Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 04:00 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It's still none of your business.
I strongly believe the problem with this world is that we treat EVERYTHING like is "none of your business".

If a friend of yours is getting wasted a word of advice given one time and one time only...is not so improper, specially if you consider him or her A FRIEND.

I speak my mind often...that's my thing. If a total stranger gets wasted anywhere...I wouldn't say anything....

But somebody whom I care well, I dunno, I think we are all going to be judged by a superior entity for the "good that we didn't do" and often that involves telling people the truth they don't want to hear.

If that cost you a friendship...so be it. I think that's better than to live an "hypocrital" friendship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 04:36 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker2014 View Post
I strongly believe the problem with this world is that we treat EVERYTHING like is "none of your business".

A much bigger problem is people butting into other people's business.

There is a time and place, such as if said drunk person was about to get behind the wheel of a car. And no, her health is in no way, shape or form the same thing.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
A much bigger problem is people butting into other people's business.

There is a time and place, such as if said drunk person was about to get behind the wheel of a car. And no, her health is in no way, shape or form the same thing.
It's the same thing for a friend that smokes. You know it's bad for your health. You mention that one time and one time only.

If you care (read that carefully) about that person...you are entitled to let them know. If you appreciate them you HAVE to tell them how you feel.

If they don't want to listen...fine! You did what you can.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:46 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
No, I don't, because they're not idiots and they know that smoking is bad for them already.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:03 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
But you are meeting this girl for the 2nd time. She is not your friend, at best, an acquaintance.

She's home, she's safe... this could be a once a year thing. She's not doing anything wrong, and their is nothing for you to comment on.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-08-2015, 11:24 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,865,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
But you are meeting this girl for the 2nd time. She is not your friend, at best, an acquaintance.

She's home, she's safe... this could be a once a year thing. She's not doing anything wrong, and their is nothing for you to comment on.
Yeah, I don't get the concept of going out with someone twice, then thinking it's ok to tell them what to do. If you don't like what they do, stop going out with them. Easy.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:57 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:

If a friend of yours is getting wasted a word of advice given one time and one time only...is not so improper, specially if you consider him or her A FRIEND.

I speak my mind often...that's my thing. If a total stranger gets wasted anywhere...I wouldn't say anything....
Somebody you've met up with with twice is closer to a total stranger than a friend, though. That's barely a casual acquaintance. I don't see myself commenting on casual acquaintance's life choices, personally.

That said, I also wouldn't see myself continuing to develop a relationship with an acquaintances who, in my few interactions with her, has shown this type of behavior 100% of the time.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:37 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:

But somebody whom I care well, I dunno, I think we are all going to be judged by a superior entity for the "good that we didn't do" and often that involves telling people the truth they don't want to hear.

If that cost you a friendship...so be it. I think that's better than to live an "hypocrital" friendship.
Friendship is about loving the person for who they are, not telling them to drop certain habits because you deem it as bad behavior. THAT is what being a hypocrite is. Either you are their friend, or you aren't. If you feel it necessary to tell people that what they are doing is whatever you think...then expect to not have as many friends.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:39 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
It's the same thing for a friend that smokes. You know it's bad for your health. You mention that one time and one time only.

If you care (read that carefully) about that person...you are entitled to let them know. If you appreciate them you HAVE to tell them how you feel.

If they don't want to listen...fine! You did what you can.
Ah...the entitlement is strong is this one.

Good luck with that.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Friendship is about loving the person for who they are, not telling them to drop certain habits because you deem it as bad behavior. THAT is what being a hypocrite is. Either you are their friend, or you aren't. If you feel it necessary to tell people that what they are doing is whatever you think...then expect to not have as many friends.

In the recent case I got it...we are not friends, just acquaintances I agree.

On the second case, we know each other for quite a while. 20 years or so to be precise.

I think a hypocrite is the one who knows you are doing something wrong and not tell you about it. And even calls yourself a friend.

Hey if I'm doing something leading to my destruction, I wish a friend had the guts to tell me that.

The easy way out is not often the "right way".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships