Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 09:50 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What kind of person allows another to drive one hour to fill up their car with gas?!!
The kind that had already told the guy 25 times that I had no interest in meeting him but he would not let it go. One of the guys still trys to contact me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 09:54 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
The kind that had already told the guy 25 times that I had no interest in meeting him but he would not let it go. One of the guys still trys to contact me.
I'm not sure how that fact led to you allowing someone to drive an hour to fill your tank (you know, when it's really not a euphemism).

That's just tacky, for both of you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-16-2015, 11:58 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
136 men dodged a bullet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
She does have tenacity. I'll give that to her. I would have burned out after the 60th first date.
I don't date much and I sincerely doubt I could date six women who flamed out before I went back to the drawing board...and tossed it out the window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Always look for the common denominator.

The end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I guess. Maybe she thought it was going to demonstrate how there are "no good men left" or something.
Sounds very much like the Christian single mother fresh off of a divorce who goes on an OLD site wanting a great never married/no kids Christian guy...and scratches her head in wonderment as to the total lack of really great Christian guys coming her way. I remember seeing an ex-high school classmate on Match back when. She's divorced and has a kid, but wants a guy who's unmarried with no kids. Really. No joke. Needless to say, she's still on there. You know, because any devout Christian guy who believes the Bible's view about divorce will jump right on that! Aye!

Quote:
On average:

Wiser
More worldly
More likely to have shared experiences and be at a similar place in life (a big one)
Far less uptight in bed
Less drama
Less a slave to materialism and image
Maybe, but that last depends on the upbringing in a younger gal's case--my niece, for example, is four years old and already has an iPad. Nice--she should be a blast for a guy to date when she's old enough. I really don't give a flip about "wordly" nor do I care about shared experiences that an older woman might bring. I'd rather make my own experiences with a gal. It sure beats the 40-something mother of four from three babydaddies that a coworker tried to set me up with once. If that's a "good woman" as he claimed...shoot me. You can cram that load of experience elsewhere. She wasn't "wiser" that I could tell, either, which means that a dumb woman won't become a rocket scientist overnight--or ever. That's fine. I don't want a wife solely for her smarts if she's not instinctively cut out for raising a family as it does no good in the grand scheme of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I have a very hard time believing there wasn't one single guy worth a second date. Other than a blind date when I was 21, I've always gone one more than one date before determining it wasn't a good fit.
You are right not to believe that. She's looking for a Tom Brady that will bend over backwards for her. Problem? Yeah. Tom Brady doesn't have to do that to marry an actual model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
After 136 dates, the problem is her, not the platform of meeting someone from online. Nearly a third of marriages now are between couples who met online.

The end.
I doubt that, but I am feeling swell right now. In any case, aside from that study being funded by EHarmony to drum up business, that means a lot of folks leave their basement and marry the first person they meet. Yikes. Then again, maybe EHarmony does sucker that many folks into paying about $200 to partake in online emailing! If you're one of the rare folks who does indeed do that, then you would at least have that much in common and you best make the most of that investment on the site.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:28 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,638,768 times
I'm not surprised by that as quantity does not equate to quality and online dating seemingly often has guys misrepresenting themselves.

Old 05-17-2015, 02:45 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
She's a trainwreck.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:05 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Nearly a third of marriages now are between couples who met online.
Depends on what study you believe. That was what was being touted in 2013, by eHarmony. I could be wrong, but I believe Match changed their slogan to be one in five. According to this study: 5 facts about online dating | Pew Research Center from last month, only 5% of marriages are the result of OLD and 1/3 of those online never go on dates.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:16 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Inspired by this thread, I just did a search for fun on my old Match account this weekend. I set distance at 50 miles, was pretty open on criteria such as ethnicity, age and educational background, more picky on habits likes smoking and drinking. Came up with close to 1,000 matches. Page after page of profile pictures that look like mugshots. The profiles I read were the same kind I remembered from the last time I was on there, bland, overly serious with little humor or personality.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:22 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
Depends on what study you believe. That was what was being touted in 2013, by eHarmony. I could be wrong, but I believe Match changed their slogan to be one in five. According to this study: 5 facts about online dating | Pew Research Center from last month, only 5% of marriages are the result of OLD and 1/3 of those online never go on dates.

Only 5%? That seems absurdly low.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:44 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,768 times
Quote:
Only 5%? That seems absurdly low.
Well, if you are looking at all people who married, I don't think that sounds low. After all, most people don't use online dating in the first place. According to that Pew link (which I think is more credible than the marketing material from online dating companies), only 1 in 5 people have used online dating. So you are already starting with only 20% of the population in the first place so it makes sense that you'd get a low number of people who met a spouse online (since not everyone uses online dating to find a serious relationship, let alone a spouse).

Old 05-18-2015, 10:51 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
I only know a few people who met their spouse through OLD. Most people I know met their spouse at school or work-related, sometimes through friends of long-time friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships