Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 05:17 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,245,468 times

Advertisements

That's pretty lousy advice, especially if you happen to be dating an equally passive man (or if he's trying to follow the "mirroring" technique, too). Then again, I don't buy into the notion of men needing to be the pursuers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirl10000 View Post
Have you heard of "mirroring?" I admit I read dating articles and go on dating advice sites, and a lot of dating experts advice women to mirror men's actions when a relationship is new. They say to let the man do all the initiating in the beginning. When he calls, you call. When he doesn't, you don't. When he texts, respond. When he doesn't, you don't. You get the idea. Dating experts recommend that women take on a passive role in the beginning, until it is established that the relationship is serious.

I am new to dating after the breakup of my marriage. So I have nothing to turn to but dating advice on the internet. My friends are married and haven't been in the dating scene for years, so they're not a good source of advice either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 07:11 PM

179 posts, read 296,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
That's pretty lousy advice, especially if you happen to be dating an equally passive man (or if he's trying to follow the "mirroring" technique, too). Then again, I don't buy into the notion of men needing to be the pursuers.
According to the articles, the advice is based on the idea that men are born hunters, as a result of evolution.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,652,264 times
I would skip the dating website advice and read up on basic general psych.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:18 PM

9 posts, read 25,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Texting is not communication. This is a cop out for actually talking to the person.

If you guys are not talking on the phone or skyping at the end of the day then he is just not that into you.
That's silly. You don't know anything about their relationship. And you don't know anything about his life. Maybe he's a writer than comes home from work and writes during the evening. Or maybe he works nights. Or takes his work home with him. Or maybe he likes to any number of things that don't involve talking on the phone all night.

They see each other every weekend. If he's not into her why does he do that?

Old 05-14-2015, 07:24 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,920,002 times
Wait a min.....he's your boyfriend? And you don't just text/talk him up?

Old 05-14-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Wait a min.....he's your boyfriend? And you don't just text/talk him up?
Well, we've only been boyfriend/girlfriend for a month. We started out going out on friendly dates, with him not knowing if I liked him and me not sure how I felt about him either. It was only towards the end of January that we started dating with the understanding that we were attracted to each other. And last month, we decided to become official. But the point is, I am not yet 100% comfortable with him, and he said he's not 100% comfortable with me yet.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:59 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,920,002 times
Quote:
Well, we've only been boyfriend/girlfriend for a month. We started out going out on friendly dates, with him not knowing if I liked him and me not sure how I felt about him either. It was only towards the end of January that we started dating with the understanding that we were attracted to each other. And last month, we decided to become official. But the point is, I am not yet 100% comfortable with him, and he said he's not 100% comfortable with me yet.
Wow you guys should make up your mind by now?

Old 05-14-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Wow you guys should make up your mind by now?
We've made up our minds that we're going to be in a relationship. It takes time to be comfortable with someone, though. You have to know what makes them tick, and I'm still in the process of learning that about him.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:26 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,245,468 times
Which is fine if you're a springbok or wildebeest being preyed upon. But it doesn't play out quite so neatly in the dating world, where some women can be assertive and some men can be passive. If you're both passive, you'll get nowhere.
Quote:
According to the articles, the advice is based on the idea that men are born hunters, as a result of evolution.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:43 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,119,496 times
I always liked to let the guy initiate the first few dates. I found when dating that if I had a date with a guy and then I was always the one setting up the dates/doing the asking that he just wasn't that into me, or he would go along but wasn't interested in a relationship (which was my goal). I think if you sit back at the beginning and let the guy set the pace, you can get a good feel for how interested he is. However, once you're actually in a relationship there is NO reason not to initiate dates and conversation. At that point it should be 50/50. Yes, you might get hurt by putting yourself out there, but if you don't fully put yourself out there, then you will never know a really good relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships