Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2015, 11:08 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

It's pretty slick how seamlessly things moved from the "backstory" into the full-on launching of the "marriage is bad for men!" soapbox, isn't it? Almost as if...wait for it...that was the whole intent...
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 11:28 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Why would you lose access to your kids, in the case of divorce? Shared custody is the norm, these days.

It's silly to catastrophize like this. If you two love each other, have good communication skills (are able to talk about problems that come up, and work them out), and are on the same page money-management-wise, you have a 60% chance of staying married, and being a contented couple. Better than a 60% chance.

And Wildflower is right; none of that has to come true. It's up to you, and how you choose to handle your marriage and the relationship. Marriage doesn't automatically "make" you take each other for granted. That's a choice, not some kind of inevitable result of marriage.

Frankly, OP, it doesn't sound like you've been talking to real, live married couples. It sounds like you've been reading cliche men's blogs on the internet. Your reasoning isn't mature. So maybe you're just not ready for marriage.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:34 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cradlocke View Post
What responsibility? The responsibility of being forced to hand over half my assets? It's funny how men are painted as being the ones who are afraid of commitment, yet it is men who propose to women. And isn't it funny how some women claim to be all for commitment, yet they support a legal system that allows them to keep half of a man's assets in the event that it doesn't work out. I'm accused of wanting one foot in and one foot out, yet women every day marry men with the peace of mind of knowing that if it ends, she'll get his house, half his assets and pension, the kids, etc etc. If you're not woman enough to love a man for who he is, rather than wanting the security blanket of a biased legal system, then you have no business having a boyfriend in the first place, and no right to be loved.

And men are the ones afraid of commitment? Don't make me laugh.
Who said you'd have to do that (bolded) in case of divorce? Most divorces are settled out of court.

OP, do you even have any assets to hand over? Somehow, I doubt it. This is much ado about nothing. Clearly, either you really don't care for your SO that much, or this is a fictitious scenario you conjured up, just to rehash the same tired old cliches.

If this is how you want to spend your weekend, go for it. Most of us will be out enjoying the summer weather. Have a nice life.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:38 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
What gave it away? The fact that I proposed?
no, the fact that you came up with all those ridiculous excuses.
Be honest and tell her you NEVER want to get married.
Maybe then she can find one (if she's so inclined) who will.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:08 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
there is a 3rd road, prenup.

Can a prenup protect your parent's basement?

Old 07-18-2015, 01:33 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,768,103 times
OP:

Please read this before proposing to anyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Second thoughts about getting married-154066d1437244575-marriage-box-image.jpg  

Old 07-18-2015, 03:58 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,462 times
Quote:
No. I'm not going to make a huge sacrifice and potentially ruin my life just for the sake of making a gesture like so many other men out there. I'm not going to be another statistic, another lemming.

You say that if I love her, I'll do it, but if she loves me, and if she truly wants the real thing, she'll understand and stay with me. If she wants a gesture, she can have a ring. If she leaves, I'll move on.
If you're that cavalier about the possibility of not spending the rest of your life with her, you're probably not ready for marriage. Or not ready for marriage with this particular woman.

I think your reasons are b.s., by the way. Sometimes people have very good reasons to not get married. Your list of concerns are not good reasons.

EDIT: Nevermind, your next couple of responses after that one revealed you. I can't put my finger on which pot-stirring former user you are, but the argument style is very familiar. As the cemetery keeper in John Carpenter's original Halloween says:
"Why do they do it?"

Last edited by Mimidae; 07-18-2015 at 04:08 PM..

Old 07-18-2015, 04:07 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,233,524 times
If this were the right women, its likely you wouldnt have any of these concerns. There must be a reason you are trying very hard to talk yourself out of marriage.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
What responsibility? The responsibility of being forced to hand over half my assets? It's funny how men are painted as being the ones who are afraid of commitment, yet it is men who propose to women. And isn't it funny how some women claim to be all for commitment, yet they support a legal system that allows them to keep half of a man's assets in the event that it doesn't work out. I'm accused of wanting one foot in and one foot out, yet women every day marry men with the peace of mind of knowing that if it ends, she'll get his house, half his assets and pension, the kids, etc etc. If you're not woman enough to love a man for who he is, rather than wanting the security blanket of a biased legal system, then you have no business having a boyfriend in the first place, and no right to be loved.

And men are the ones afraid of commitment? Don't make me laugh.
A man's assets? What about a woman's assets? This thing works two ways.

I think you'll be doing your fiancee a big favor by breaking things off with her now rather than later. She may not ever even know how many of her assets you just saved for her.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:35 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times
If that's how you truly feel about marriage, then you shouldn't get married. And you should tell your girlfriend exactly why so she can decide if she wants to stay with you at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships