Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 10:21 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,683,923 times

Advertisements

Nope. My phone, my business. Maybe I have perfectly innocent texts between friends that are meant to be private. I cannot be a 100% open book to anyone. I don't work that way. Something in my life has to be private, and for me that thing is my phone. It's not always about hiding things. Sometimes it's just needing something that is yours and only yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 10:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Hovering over kids and policing their every move doesn't create healthy, independent adults, either. Emotionally healthy adolescents are ones that have been given an appropriate ratio of guidance, monitoring, and freedom to make a degree of independent choice and learn from their actions.

There is a middle ground. Not allowing adolescents a developmentally appropriate level of privacy is indicative of an authoritarian parenting style, which has all kinds of negative ramifications and unintended consequences, developmentally. Allowing them free, unchecked reign is indicative of a permissive parenting style, which also comes with its fair share of negative consequences and behavior. In the middle lies authoritative parenting, which is generally acknowledged as the parenting style predictive of the healthiest of outcomes in raising independent, responsible children.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:26 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I couldn't imagine going through another person's phone. I'm shocked at how often posters here mention it. If something untoward is going on, I'll find out about it soon enough.
this is my take on it... I've never, ever, had the urge to go through someone's phone, internet browsing, diary or whatever.....

Old 07-26-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
Nope. My phone, my business. Maybe I have perfectly innocent texts between friends that are meant to be private. I cannot be a 100% open book to anyone. I don't work that way. Something in my life has to be private, and for me that thing is my phone. It's not always about hiding things. Sometimes it's just needing something that is yours and only yours.
Oh, I have plenty of things that are mine and only mine and that remain private.

None of it resides on my phone or laptop, though.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:30 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,683,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Oh, I have plenty of things that are mine and only mine and that remain private.

None of it resides on my phone or laptop, though.
And that's fine but when you grow up in a family with six siblings and have seven children yourself, private anything is hard to come by, even a computer or laptop when it's literally your livelihood and remains on at all times. For me, it's a fingerprint password-protected phone. Easiest thing.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
And that's fine but when you grow up in a family with six siblings and have seven children yourself, private anything is hard to come by, even a computer or laptop when it's literally your livelihood and remains on at all times. For me, it's a fingerprint password-protected phone. Easiest thing.
I actually grew up in a very large family, sharing a bedroom with four siblings for most of my upbringing.

It's a big reason I'm not especially private and have minimal personal space needs relative to most.

Not everyone reacts in the same way to such things, personalities and priorities are obviously all different.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:48 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Hovering over kids and policing their every move doesn't create healthy, independent adults, either. Emotionally healthy adolescents are ones that have been given an appropriate ratio of guidance, monitoring, and freedom to make a degree of independent choice and learn from their actions.

There is a middle ground. Not allowing adolescents a developmentally appropriate level of privacy is indicative of an authoritarian parenting style, which has all kinds of negative ramifications and unintended consequences, developmentally. Allowing them free, unchecked reign is indicative of a permissive parenting style, which also comes with its fair share of negative consequences and behavior. In the middle lies authoritative parenting, which is generally acknowledged as the parenting style predictive of the healthiest of outcomes in raising independent, responsible children.
Agreed. The kids I know with the most overbearing parents are the sneakiest, wildest kids out there.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:01 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Here's the thing...

My husband and I don't have anything to hide and we do NOT have access to one another's private electronics.

And it doesn't bother me. At all. Doesn't bother him, either.

The truth is, if people are gonna pull a fast one, they can do it way easier if they have someone lulled into a sense of false security by being a supposed "open book."

People who are really up to something on the side, as has already been pointed out more than one time on here, will just go out and buy another phone. Damn, didn't any of you watch Breaking Bad?

LOL.

I can tell you the fact that I knew my husband's phone password helped when he unexpectedly went to the hospital a few months ago. It made it easier for me to call his work people and let them know.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-27-2015, 11:04 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
This giving kids their "right" to privacy is a joke as far as I'm concerned..... you don't have any rights til your 18 and as far as I'm concerned you're a subjected citizen with no rights... LOL.... j/k..... sort of.....
My husband to 13 year old: you have no rights, you own nothing......
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-27-2015, 01:35 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
After thinking about this subject more I could see married couples keeping them more open......we shared when we were married.........dating no way my phone..........still can't get over that nasty biatch texting about naked on ground while holding hubby at Braves' game just sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships