Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 11:30 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,553,330 times

Advertisements

Nowadays, with birth control, more work opportunities and more equality for women, etc, etc, there are more and more couples who decide to stay childless.

However, reading many testimonies online and taking in count how society reacts i wonder how difficult it really is for those couples to cope with the social pressure to have kids.

I know at least 4 couples (all in their early 40s) who decide to stay childless by choice,and i wonder how they cope. In this case, all this people are from literary circuits, are either writers or university proffesors involved with the art scene in where a lot of people are like this, so they definitely arent judged or pressured by their peers and friends. But im sure they are pressured by their parents (that grew up in a different time with different values) and by other people with not so progressive views. Others outside the intelectual/arty circuit have it much worse.

I think it might be very difficult to cope with this in a more conservative place like the US, in where tradition seems to be more prominent. And, outside of big cities, it must be really very hard to cope with the constant social pressure.

I would like to read opinions of couples or single people that are childfree by choice, and other people that know this couples and see how they are mistreated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 11:34 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,382,058 times
Why would anyone feel the need to "cope" with any pressure from society?
What a silly waste of time, no one is obligated to make any part of "society" happy and honestly who the hades cares what
"society" deems appropriate or acceptable when it comes to children.

None of "society's" business and they should stay out of everyone's bedroom but their own.
We have friends who never had children and no one mistreats them and never has.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:36 PM

14,845 posts, read 8,178,035 times
I am a Mother, we had one child, but I would never think to look down upon someone who decided not to have children. That is a very personal decision, and a decision no one else has any business sticking their noses into imo.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:39 PM

291 posts, read 274,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I think it might be very difficult to cope with this in a more conservative place like the US, in where tradition seems to be more prominent.
If you think the United States is conservative... well... then I guess I need to start devoting more of my time to studying space travel

Old 07-16-2015, 11:44 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,210,338 times
It's a totally personal choice. And why anyone would get up-in-arms about that is beyond me.

Me personally, I want no children at all. I don't care for kids. I don't even want pets. I like animals. I have just had my feel of pet deaths over the years.

But I wouldn't hate on couples who do want kids. A couple's children, or lack thereof, only effects them. I could understand parents being disappointed with having no grandchildren. But in the end, still it's not their call.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:51 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,990,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justThis View Post
If you think the United States is conservative... well... then I guess I need to start devoting more of my time to studying space travel

Actually, United States is pretty conservative compared to a lot of other places.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:52 PM

There are millons and millons of articles and even forums and movements of the "childfree by choice" when the pressure by society and being mistreated and judged is the #1 topic. So its clearly an issue and it takes courage and bravery and would love to hear some stories.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:54 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,990,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
There are millons and millons of articles and even forums and movements of the "childfree by choice" when the pressure by society and being mistreated and judged is the #1 topic. So its clearly an issue and it takes courage and bravery and would love to hear some stories.
I've got to be honest though, I don't really think it's that big of a deal to not have kids. I've never seen too many people ever make a fuss about it.. or ever talk about someone they knew who didn't have kids.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justThis View Post
Usa is very very conservative. You must not know many places.

But this isnt the topic of discussion. I think childfree people are judged EVERYWHERE in the world, and its a relarively new thing thats been growing a lot and an interesting topic to discuss.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:08 AM

21,608 posts, read 8,776,380 times
My husband and I, age 66 and 74, are child free. Neither of us got any pressure or judgmental remarks from our parents or other people. The closest I got to "pressure" was one time when my mother remarked that she wished I'd had kids so I could have to put up with all the stuff she had to deal with! She was joking, but just barely.

The biggest issue I've had is that couples with children find it harder to relate to us, and vice-versa. After my classmates, friends and first cousins started having families, we just didn't seem to have as much in common any more and drifted apart. People with children seem to feel most comfortable socializing with other parents because they have more in common. Kids (or at our age, grandkids) are a never-ending source of conversational topics. Choosing not to have children does tend to limit your social circle to other non-parents since the majority of folks do procreate.

Parental status also has an impact on where you live. As a child free couple, we would feel very much out of place living in the suburbs, where every house has four bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths and a family room, every driveway has an SUV with baby seats in the back, and every yard has pedal cars, swing sets, kiddie pools or trampolines in the yard. We don't belong to that tribe and would feel like outsiders. City living is a better fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships