Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 01:57 AM

38 posts, read 45,143 times

Advertisements

When did your SO and yourself discuss and disclose all your financials?
At what point in the relationship were you?

If your partner had debt, was there a plan that both set up or was it on the person that accumulated the debt to pay it off?

I would like to know how couples have handled these issues successfully and your advice. Especially those that have done it before marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 02:02 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Mr. CSD and I discussed that before we ever dated and have been discussing it from that point on.
We both had debt for different reasons and we worked together to get all of the debt paid off for both of us.
It took 8 years but we did it and remain debt free and just yesterday made an offer on a home, the offer was accepted and in 3 weeks we will be writing them a check for the purchase of that home. Our own check, not from a bank because there is no mortgage or financing. When that check is handed over our home belongs to us and we won't be sending a bank payments each month.

The dynamics for each couple is different and nothing will work unless you both are on the same page financially and in agreement to how things will be done and both of you remain true to that agreement.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:19 AM

70 posts, read 57,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch8489 View Post
I would like to know how couples have handled these issues successfully and your advice. Especially those that have done it before marriage.

I think that the right time to discuss things will vary by couple, but in my opinion it should absolutely be done before marriage. Unless you have a prenup, I believe any debt brought into the marriage becomes a liability for both parties. I think that it would be terrible to marry someone, only to learn that they are deeply in debt, especially if it was due to some unknown reason, like a gambling addiction or drugs or a secret family.

I currently have no debt, but I have had a mortgage and student loan in the past. If I had been married at that time, I would have felt that both were mine to manage, though I guess I also would expected to come to some kind of agreement with my partner regarding the mortgage. E.g., if I paid the mortgage and he lived with me, then he might pay for groceries and utilities, or for vacations, or for kids' tuition, etc. Alternatively, if he were to share the mortgage with me (i.e., and get added to the title), then do we become equal partners on the house or does he make payments until we have paid in the same amount, etc.

But that's just me and I am not a part of a couple. I will be honest and say that while it isn't a hard and fast dealbreaker, I would probably not marry (or even date) someone with excessive debt, particularly if it was due to feeding vices.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:21 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,458,244 times
We mildly discussed it while dating as nothing was serious and a future together was only an option and not a for sure deal. As soon as it was clear where the relationship was headed and where we both wanted it to go it it took full affect

Golden rule: it can never be too early but can always be too late.

Last edited by rego00123; 07-24-2015 at 02:46 AM..

Old 07-24-2015, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Mr. CSD and I discussed that before we ever dated and have been discussing it from that point on.
We both had debt for different reasons and we worked together to get all of the debt paid off for both of us.
It took 8 years but we did it and remain debt free and just yesterday made an offer on a home, the offer was accepted and in 3 weeks we will be writing them a check for the purchase of that home. Our own check, not from a bank because there is no mortgage or financing. When that check is handed over our home belongs to us and we won't be sending a bank payments each month.

The dynamics for each couple is different and nothing will work unless you both are on the same page financially and in agreement to how things will be done and both of you remain true to that agreement.
First of all congratulations on your new home! And thank you for your input.
We have talked about what we want etc.., but now it's coming forth slightly his debt.
I'm not sure how much I should get involved into it in regards to helping him pay it off

Old 07-24-2015, 02:26 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch8489 View Post
First of all congratulations on your new home! And thank you for your input.
We have talked about what we want etc.., but now it's coming forth slightly his debt.
I'm not sure how much I should get involved into it.

Thank you and that decision is purely up to you.
This might be something that wants some advice/opinion from you on how to proceed to get the debt paid off.

You might let it flow for a bit and see if he tells you what he is looking for.

For us we talked about debts before we even dated because we were friends for 5 years and we discussed financial planning, debt payment programs etc.

*If he asks you for a loan......run.....LOL*

Old 07-24-2015, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Thank you and that decision is purely up to you.
This might be something that wants some advice/opinion from you on how to proceed to get the debt paid off.

You might let it flow for a bit and see if he tells you what he is looking for.

For us we talked about debts before we even dated because we were friends for 5 years and we discussed financial planning, debt payment programs etc.

*If he asks you for a loan......run.....LOL*
Thank you for the advice very much appreciated, and no , no loan from me lol.
I just don't know if I'm pushing too much in saying I want to see all of it to pay it off. I know he's very conscious about it

Old 07-24-2015, 02:39 AM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times
This was a problem that became known early after marriage. I was a bit angry at first but we moved on passed it. She was apologetic and ashamed to reveal. We had been friends so long beforehand and i never knew. She had college loans and sizeable debt with a lower prospects for pay. I had no debt, paid for college myself, savings, a house, and a good paying job. It was clear that it would be a long difficult and stressful process for hr to dig out of debt.

After a bit of consideration (and a few drinks), I asked her for all the accounts and paid off almost all her debts. What remained were student loans which were not that much and low interest. She pays that herself. I pretty much cleared my entire savings. It was stressful but it was clear that we didnt need that type of stress in our new life together. We would never be "equals" in our marriage and financial decisions would always be overly complex as long as one had a sizeable debt while the other had sizeable savings.

That was 14 years ago... my savings and investments has yet to recover. However it was still the best choice. My wife is now quite the frugal person and we are still debt free sans mortgage. Setting fincancial expectations in a LTR as early as possible. We live modestly....

Old 07-24-2015, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
This was a problem that became known early after marriage. I was a bit angry at first but we moved on passed it. She was apologetic and ashamed to reveal. We had been friends so long beforehand and i never knew. She had college loans and sizeable debt with a lower prospects for pay. I had no debt, paid for college myself, savings, a house, and a good paying job. It was clear that it would be a long difficult and stressful process for hr to dig out of debt.

After a bit of consideration (and a few drinks), I asked her for all the accounts and paid off almost all her debts. What remained were student loans which were not that much and low interest. She pays that herself. I pretty much cleared my entire savings. It was stressful but it was clear that we didnt need that type of stress in our new life together. We would never be "equals" in our marriage and financial decisions would always be overly complex as long as one had a sizeable debt while the other had sizeable savings.

That was 14 years ago... my savings and investments has yet to recover. However it was still the best choice. My wife is now quite the frugal person and we are still debt free sans mortgage. Setting fincancial expectations in a LTR as early as possible. We live modestly....
That's amazing you did that, I'm sure your wife is ever so grateful.
There's a mortgage, which is not bad, my concern are the cc.
I would like to see all the statements and plan how much to pay each month, but again Im worrying if Im not overstepping too much

Old 07-24-2015, 04:25 AM

2,704 posts, read 1,832,433 times
It should be discussed upon engagement in my opinion. In our case, we were both open about everything and there was complete transparency.

Our financial lives were complicated on both sides with multiple properties, children, businesses and earning potential. We discussed a prenup for a moment but never got around to it. We rolled the dice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships