Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 06:37 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustelid1971 View Post
I don't know about Match anymore, but on OKC I have well over half respond to me. Try OKC, you should be able to get a couple of dates a week easy, and it is free.
I had the exact opposite problem. Match worked for me/I got a lot more replies/found someone in the end to date. It's regional I think (and maybe age-based too). But I do 100% agree the poster you quoted should just try another site, maybe Match isn't "good" in his area.

Oh, I would add I don't recommend Eharmony. I don't like waiting for it to match you with people (and it never seemed to make good matches. I rather do my own searching and figure out who I think I might like, etc). I honestly think the was Eharmony "trickles" matches to you is an attempt to keep you on their site longer. I met someone on Match within 2 weeks... never had to do more than a one month subscription (although it was my fourth attempt on Match I think... I tried for just one month at a time in the past as well as trying other sites. I never stayed on any site long.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 06:50 AM

321 posts, read 292,797 times
I never heard of anyone liking eharmony. They were never attracted to the people they were matched with, and they usually got matched with religious people.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:15 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,711 times
I liked the yahoo personals back in the day. It was much more user friendly, and free. Then they went to being Match.com. I hadn't touched match, or eharmony.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:43 AM

90 posts, read 89,218 times
OLD should supplement, but not replace real-human interaction. Meeting someone in real life, wow; there's nothing like it. However, when making an online connection that works; don't squander it.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:33 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
One thing I can't emphasize enough, is to take into account the way the person writes (from their profile) when considering how to construct your first messages with them. If they are like me, and write novels full of snark and 50 cent words and the spelling, punctuation, capitalization and grammar are like 99% correct, then you should try to write something clever and substantial. Men who try to contact me with "ur so pretty" are instantly ignored. I'm sure some women are on that reading level, but it should be obvious that I'm beyond that.

Even if a man's photo doesn't really impress me, if he writes well I am likely to give him a chance.

I also hate it when, consistently, I write longish texts/messages, and only get back a single brief sentence or a few words. Especially if the talk has turned to sex, I'm going to quickly feel like I'm writing erotica for an audience instead of pre-negotiating something that I might want to actually do.

If a man can't convince me in writing that he's got a brain and he's not boring, then I'm not going to want to waste my time meeting him.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:45 AM

90 posts, read 89,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
One thing I can't emphasize enough, is to take into account the way the person writes (from their profile) when considering how to construct your first messages with them. If they are like me, and write novels full of snark and 50 cent words and the spelling, punctuation, capitalization and grammar are like 99% correct, then you should try to write something clever and substantial. Men who try to contact me with "ur so pretty" are instantly ignored. I'm sure some women are on that reading level, but it should be obvious that I'm beyond that.

Even if a man's photo doesn't really impress me, if he writes well I am likely to give him a chance.

I also hate it when, consistently, I write longish texts/messages, and only get back a single brief sentence or a few words. Especially if the talk has turned to sex, I'm going to quickly feel like I'm writing erotica for an audience instead of pre-negotiating something that I might want to actually do.

If a man can't convince me in writing that he's got a brain and he's not boring, then I'm not going to want to waste my time meeting him.
To play devil's advocate here, there are those who better-communicate verbally than in the written word. Not to mention, in today's short-cutting and fast-tracking times; people resort to shorthand and internet slang in daily communication.

Then there are those who have had their profiles ghost written; either by friends or other entities. Which may not be a true interpretation of who they are. Remember, we can be whomever we want... (or think we are) online.

Nothing trumps real-life interaction...

Old 07-30-2015, 08:14 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,067,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I may try Match. I canceled a meet tonight, politely, and just let her know I am spent between family duties and my own things.
Are you not concerned you will make a bad impression on her and she won't want a second date? (a second first date?)

Old 08-01-2015, 07:11 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Online dating is like gambling. ...if you play you are more than likely to lose....however unless you play you may never win.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:19 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastwomanstanding View Post
Are you not concerned you will make a bad impression on her and she won't want a second date? (a second first date?)
Not so much, as I look closer I don't think we fit that well. She wants serious relationship I told her I don't just having ended my marriage and she still wants to meet and suggest a bit of a pricey place for 1st meet happy hour...........having challenges finding someone that wants to date, but not serial date, and doesn't want to jump to serious relationship right away.

I am dating 1, may not be a good enough fit, and meeting another new one tomorrow for coffee. We'll see

Old 08-01-2015, 07:20 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Online dating is like gambling. ...if you play you are more than likely to lose....however unless you play you may never win.
I would agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships