Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 09:36 PM

94 posts, read 105,002 times

Advertisements

I guess I was curious how normal this is. I've never proposed or been engaged before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
Why are you here then? Just do what she wants then and be another yes man out there. One day when she wakes up and decides she is bored with you, she will take you to the cleaners for half of everything you got. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 09:44 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
I was like this with my ex. Why? Because he kept saying that he loved me and wanted to marry me - but then every time we had a serious discussion about it, he would drag his feet. It made me very insecure. And because of that insecurity, I would start trying to get him to propose. And then we almost broke up. And then we decided to stay together. And then he proposed. And then I met my husband and called off my wedding. The truth is, my ex and I just weren't right for each other. That's probably why he was dragging his feet. Or maybe we weren't right because he dragged his feet. Well, no - there were a myriad of other issues. But point being, I wasn't nearly as insecure with my husband because he was really excited to marry me. It was a totally different feeling.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:46 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearEyes650 View Post
I guess I was curious how normal this is. I've never proposed or been engaged before.
At your age after 2 yrs of dating, most women are expecting to get engaged. So if you haven't hinted around to it then the conversations/pressure will start. Since you don't want to break things off, then the next step would naturally be to marry her.

Now grow some and do it!

Old 09-05-2015, 09:54 PM

Haha. Well, I did just buy the ring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
At your age after 2 yrs of dating, most women are expecting to get engaged. So if you haven't hinted around to it then the conversations/pressure will start. Since you don't want to break things off, then the next step would naturally be to marry her.

Now grow some and do it!

Old 09-05-2015, 09:54 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Do you want to marry her? If the answer is no, don't do it. Even if it hurts you both in the short term, it will save years of agony.

If you do want to marry her, have a frank conversation with her and let her know what you are feeling. Tell her that you love her and want to commit, but are worried that there will be pressure and crying during the marriage. That you want to be able to discuss all of your issues together and be true partners. (Or whatever you feel like discussing)

My husband and I were under pressure to marry, and I felt insecure sometimes. That all went away after we got engaged, because we were right for each other. We are very well matched so we are happy. Marriage won't fix a relationship or make someone happy.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:55 PM

How old were you in each relationship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I was like this with my ex. Why? Because he kept saying that he loved me and wanted to marry me - but then every time we had a serious discussion about it, he would drag his feet. It made me very insecure. And because of that insecurity, I would start trying to get him to propose. And then we almost broke up. And then we decided to stay together. And then he proposed. And then I met my husband and called off my wedding. The truth is, my ex and I just weren't right for each other. That's probably why he was dragging his feet. Or maybe we weren't right because he dragged his feet. Well, no - there were a myriad of other issues. But point being, I wasn't nearly as insecure with my husband because he was really excited to marry me. It was a totally different feeling.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the response. I hope that's how it will work out with us as well. We are a good match, I just don't want this to continue during marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Do you want to marry her? If the answer is no, don't do it. Even if it hurts you both in the short term, it will save years of agony.

If you do want to marry her, have a frank conversation with her and let her know what you are feeling. Tell her that you love her and want to commit, but are worried that there will be pressure and crying during the marriage. That you want to be able to discuss all of your issues together and be true partners. (Or whatever you feel like discussing)

My husband and I were under pressure to marry, and I felt insecure sometimes. That all went away after we got engaged, because we were right for each other. We are very well matched so we are happy. Marriage won't fix a relationship or make someone happy.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:57 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearEyes650 View Post
How old were you in each relationship?
I was with my ex from 22-25 and with my husband since I was 25.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:59 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Just chug down a few shots, take a deep breath and do it man .

Old 09-05-2015, 09:59 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
BTW we've been together two decades, with a minute amount of crying. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships