Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 10:01 PM

94 posts, read 105,002 times

Advertisements

I honestly can't blame your ex at that age...kudos for finding your true life mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I was with my ex from 22-25 and with my husband since I was 25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 10:02 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
If you give her the ring and get engaged, then you need to very soon set a definite date, otherwise it will not look good. Hopefully you've talked everything over and have agreements on things like children, where to live, goals etc, and you're both clear on these issues. Nothing makes for a worse marriage than starting off married and then finding out your have major differences because you didn't talk about everything ahead of time. Good luck to you.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:02 PM

Nice! Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
BTW we've been together two decades, with a minute amount of crying. ;-)

Old 09-05-2015, 10:03 PM

Thanks! Yes, we are pretty close on all our life plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
If you give her the ring and get engaged, then you need to very soon set a definite date, otherwise it will not look good. Hopefully you've talked everything over and have agreements on things like children, where to live, goals etc, and you're both clear on these issues. Nothing makes for a worse marriage than starting off married and then finding out your have major differences because you didn't talk about everything ahead of time. Good luck to you.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:05 PM

Good advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Just chug down a few shots, take a deep breath and do it man .

Old 09-05-2015, 10:09 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearEyes650 View Post
I honestly can't blame your ex at that age...kudos for finding your true life mate.
He was 3 years older. And honestly, I just don't think he's the marrying type. He's had a girlfriend for years now but I don't think they are married. We just had different things we wanted out of life. And I'm much happier being with someone that is excited to be sharing his life with me.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:11 PM

Yeah, that's about as far apart as you can be if he didn't want to get married. That was more about him than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
He was 3 years older. And honestly, I just don't think he's the marrying type. He's had a girlfriend for years now but I don't think they are married. We just had different things we wanted out of life. And I'm much happier being with someone that is excited to be sharing his life with me.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:50 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
Quote:
Thanks. I guess I'm worried is this how it's going to be all the time? Pressure to do things with crying? Her only flaw is that she is insecure.
Not only insecure, but she seems to suffer from anxiety. It's normal for a woman to want to get married, but crying and panic is not normal. Nor is being "scared of marriage" a "normal guy thing." Sure, some guys are apprehensive about settling down, but fear is not the typical response when you've met the person you want to spend your life with.

Society dictates that marriage is the natural next step for people of a certain age who have been dating for a certain length of time. However, you and she need to do what's right for the two of you. Marriage isn't something to do simply because you're caving in to pressure from all sides. I hope you do some serious self-reflection before you propose. And you and she should have a real heart-to-heart about things.

As for whether this behavior may evolve into a pattern, it wouldn't be surprising if this anxiety surfaces throughout wedding planning, when she is ready to get pregnant and you're not, etc.

Good luck.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:46 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Thanks! Yes, we are pretty close on all our life plans.
That's a nice coincidence.

Do you WANT to marry her????

FWIW, insecurity, as a "flaw," is a HUGE "flaw."

Old 09-06-2015, 05:54 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
Break this off right now. Do you know how many women are there in this world? 3.5 billion. You don't have to deal with this kind of BS, you should be in charge of your own future and destiny, only fools try to please people.Please, end this before you make the biggest mistake of your life!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
Why are you here then? Just do what she wants then and be another yes man out there. One day when she wakes up and decides she is bored with you, she will take you to the cleaners for half of everything you got. Good luck!
I would agree with these quotes. OP-based on what you say, I would not propose. I would just let things ride out and see where they go. A woman should not need to pressure a man for engagement. No hysterical crying fits needed. If a man wants to make the long term commitment, he will. So far, you haven't. Keep it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships