Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 07:05 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
Perhaps. But I think it's more the realization that it takes more than love to have a long term relationship. Without love there can be no real relationship for certain. But relationships are not Disney simple where love is all it takes. Love is needed to form a romantic relationship, but love can not sustain a relationship long-term. It takes compromise, tolerance, common ground, trust, respect, safety, partnership, communication, and happiness to sustain a relationship.

That is why the relationships of our youth, while full of love, don't last. We don't look to these other aspects which are the glue to hold things together.
Wise words.

Sure, being willing to commit is great, being responsible is great, having a job, blah blah... but what good is any of that if you're not in love with the person? And are you going to fall in love with someone you don't like being with and having fun with?

And what good is being in love with them (except for the butterflies, which are great) if their life is a wreck?

Personally I don't get the dating was better in my 20s. It was so random meeting a cute woman I hit it off with in my 20s at a party or a show. Yeah, it happened a few times and we ended up dating, but nothing like late 30s and 40s where you can date whenever you want by turning on an app and exchanging some messages, but I guess I live in a good area for it, or so I'm told.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 07:05 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
No, it's not going to get easier the older you get for two reasons:

- Reduction in available partners. By their late 20's, most people have paired up and are either married, heading for marriage, or at least happy in various forms of long-term relationships. By the time you get to your 30's and 40's, your options are vastly reduced. To give you an idea of how bad it gets, there are only 2 single women in my social circle, and there's a reason they are single (not married, not in any relationships, and have not been in any relationship for years). Both are miserable people that drain the fun out of any gathering, both are angry, judgmental bible-thumpers, and one is a single mother who smokes like a chimney and the other is horrifically obese. So, yeah... I'm not saying ALL long-time available women at that age are not relationship material, but for many of them there's a self-inflicted reason for their situation.

- Lack of experience counts heavily against men. Just as society looks down upon women who have too many partners, it looks down upon men with too few. If you're a guy who's not actively "chasing the ladies," it is assumed there's something horribly wrong with you. This gets worse the older you get, so it doesn't matter if you're actually a good person with a stable career who'd make a fine husband or boyfriend - you're not in a relationship and you're old, so clearly you're some sort of "weirdo" with some horrible flaw that nobody can actually define and thus deserve to live alone. Most men in this situation end up that way from a lack of self-confidence or because they bought into the nonsense that focusing on your studies and career early on to the exclusion of seriously looking for a mate would pay off later - it doesn't. Don't fall for that nonsense.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:25 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
The difference is that I've been married, so it "should" be less of a stigma since it shows I'm willing to commit. Also, the divorce wasn't caused by me cheating, being abusive, or having an addiction. I'm not someone who fears commitment or ever had a problem getting dates until I moved where I am now.
If I recall correctly, you were having an awful time dating in Atlanta and couldn't wait to move. And now dating hasn't worked out in OK. How much of it really is location?

Old 08-03-2016, 08:33 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

- Reduction in available partners. By their late 20's, most people have paired up and are either married, heading for marriage, or at least happy in various forms of long-term relationships. By the time you get to your 30's and 40's, your options are vastly reduced. To give you an idea of how bad it gets, there are only 2 single women in my social circle, and there's a reason they are single (not married, not in any relationships, and have not been in any relationship for years). Both are miserable people that drain the fun out of any gathering, both are angry, judgmental bible-thumpers, and one is a single mother who smokes like a chimney and the other is horrifically obese. So, yeah... I'm not saying ALL long-time available women at that age are not relationship material, but for many of them there's a self-inflicted reason for their situation.

- Lack of experience counts heavily against men. Just as society looks down upon women who have too many partners, it looks down upon men with too few. If you're a guy who's not actively "chasing the ladies," it is assumed there's something horribly wrong with you. This gets worse the older you get, so it doesn't matter if you're actually a good person with a stable career who'd make a fine husband or boyfriend - you're not in a relationship and you're old, so clearly you're some sort of "weirdo" with some horrible flaw that nobody can actually define and thus deserve to live alone. Most men in this situation end up that way from a lack of self-confidence or because they bought into the nonsense that focusing on your studies and career early on to the exclusion of seriously looking for a mate would pay off later - it doesn't. Don't fall for that nonsense.
Very good post! Dating to find a long-term partner is more difficult as you get older no doubt.

For those that are single in their 30s or 40s though, really it's no big deal. There's no failure on your part to do anything. There's nothing necessarily 'wrong' with you. There is tremendous freedom in being single.

So just count the blessings and enjoy single life if this is something that has past you by.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:58 PM

352 posts, read 234,131 times
Quote:

Disagree.

Not sure what your circumstances are, and I'm not judging anything you mentioned. You have a couple of specific examples in your post that don't reflect a lot of what I see. Might be a geographical thing.

What I'm seeing is a lot of gals who were married in their 20s-30s getting divorced and newly single in their 40s. Most of 'em have some life experience and don't play games. Quite a few will gravitate towards someone their age who is both in good shape and has a well established career.

Further, most men have much, much more relationship experience then and make better choices.

In this day, divorce is all too common and the huge legal and financial risk that goes along with a sudden (or early) marraige can ruin a family for an entire generation.

So no, the sky isn't falling suddenly at age 40, and yes....it's very good common sense to have your act and career together before rushing into anything.....or in this young mans case, overthinking future romance.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:01 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
Quote:

I feel that dating apps/sites have helped with the 1st one. Maybe back before the internet and what not, you would have been correct with this assumption.

As for the 2nd one, meh, I don't buy it that much. A woman can easily lie and say she's had a few partners, and a guy can lie about his lack of experience (or act in a way that a woman won't think he lacks experience). Doesn't mean anything, in my opinion. As for focusing on your studies and career, it is a smart move. What's the point of looking for a mate if you're career and studies are in the toilet? Obviously and ideally, there should be a balance if you want a mate to marry/have a long term relationship with.

And sometimes, some people (men and women) just have bad luck with dating, or don't want to date in a particular timeframe. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them.

Last edited by NewYorker11356; 08-03-2016 at 02:18 PM..

Old 08-03-2016, 02:03 PM

311 posts, read 292,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck-67 View Post
Disagree.

Not sure what your circumstances are, and I'm not judging anything you mentioned. You have a couple of specific examples in your post that don't reflect a lot of what I see. Might be a geographical thing.

What I'm seeing is a lot of gals who were married in their 20s-30s getting divorced and newly single in their 40s. Most of 'em have some life experience and don't play games. Quite a few will gravitate towards someone their age who is both in good shape and has a well established career.

Further, most men have much, much more relationship experience then and make better choices.

In this day, divorce is all too common and the huge legal and financial risk that goes along with a sudden (or early) marraige can ruin a family for an entire generation.

So no, the sky isn't falling suddenly at age 40, and yes....it's very good common sense to have your act and career together before rushing into anything.....or in this young mans case, overthinking future romance.
The problem is that most of these women are done having kids, or don't plan to have any.
Many guys in the 32-38 range are still trying to have their first child.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:30 PM

352 posts, read 234,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboi View Post
The problem is that most of these women are done having kids, or don't plan to have any.
Many guys in the 32-38 range are still trying to have their first child.
Good point......I wasn't thinking of kids.

Still.....not worth a rush. Slow and pick well I say....

Old 08-03-2016, 08:45 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
If I recall correctly, you were having an awful time dating in Atlanta and couldn't wait to move. And now dating hasn't worked out in OK. How much of it really is location?
Good Lord, do you really track all my old posts? That was 4 years ago and I needed a change. I was still living in the house I was married in and not working after the Great Recession. Thats why I couldn't date in Atlanta. Things have changed and I'm over my divorce and successful now. Hopefully, that makes a difference, but I do admit I'm not overly optimistic, primarily because of my age now.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:46 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times
I can't answer that, but women are now starting to "notice me" since I have my house and **** together. Maybe it goes hand and hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships