Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 01:13 PM

20,397 posts, read 14,673,179 times

Advertisements

I was 14 and he was 19. I was very impressed with the fact that he had a job and his very own pickup truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 05:05 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,421,873 times
It was 1971 I was 17 she 15. First date was a Sly and the Family Stone concert at Madison Square Garden in NYC. We dated on and off through college and a bit after. Moved in different directions. My sister went to the church for her wedding and the Mom said at her own daughters wedding that it should have been me! She had a child and divorced after 7 years of marriage. Somehow she got my number years ago and called me at my office. Pleasant conversation that has continued to this day once a year. I have passed on any face to face “reunion”.

I have heard that Facebook has lead to numerous divorces. I have kept my innocent phone conversations in check. If anything ever happened to my wife it’s nice to know I have one in the “bullpen”.

Old 03-02-2020, 05:29 PM

101 posts, read 49,620 times
late 20s I believe.
much later than I wanted.

Old 03-02-2020, 05:42 PM

374 posts, read 146,556 times
4th grade. A man in uniform (boy scout) approached me and said, "I think I like you, but I'm not sure." How cute is that? Wishy washy from the start. lol.

Real boyfriend was at 15, almost 16. Dated 2 years in high school. He was 2 years older and broke up with me before he left for college.

Last edited by PerditaPanthera; 03-02-2020 at 05:52 PM..

Old 03-02-2020, 08:32 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,878,931 times
I was 18, freshman year of college. So was she.

I got together with her for the wrong reasons. I didn't have a girlfriend in high school, so when I started college, I was desperate. Plus, there were on-campus events coming up, like a midnight movie, and I wanted to have a date for those. So when a girl showed interest in me, I rushed into it headstrong. I wasn't physically attracted to her, but I was too happy to care.

I went to the movie with her like I wanted, and got my first kiss. Other than that, the relationship was meh. She avoided public transit like the plague, in Chicago of all places, and insisted on me driving everywhere, even downtown. I also later found out I had virtually nothing in common with her; finding date places she liked was like pulling teeth.

If I had met her today, with my current age, mindset, and beliefs (yes, that one too ), I'd just be casual friends with her, if that.

Old 03-03-2020, 06:43 AM

100 posts, read 48,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I was 14 and he was 19. I was very impressed with the fact that he had a job and his very own pickup truck.
Grew up in the country, rural town? Serious question, and not just because of the truck.

I'm not trying to be offensive with it either. I grew up in a suburban area close to a major city, but I spent about 8 years living in a very very rural area. I noticed that teen relationships with age gaps like that (19 and 14, 20 and 15, 18 and 14, etc) were more common than when I lived in a more population dense area. A 19 year old dating a 14 year old where I grew up would be scandalous and only a matter of time before the police were involved. But I saw it a whole bunch of times in the country and while some folks might say "Yeah, that's a little weird, he better be careful..." the general reaction was pretty much "Meh...". But I'm curious if that was only my experience.

Old 03-03-2020, 06:59 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Not counting Middle School dance style dating...

Senior year of high school. We were each other's first. Friends to this day.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:09 AM

20,397 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadskeptic View Post
Grew up in the country, rural town? Serious question, and not just because of the truck.

I'm not trying to be offensive with it either. I grew up in a suburban area close to a major city, but I spent about 8 years living in a very very rural area. I noticed that teen relationships with age gaps like that (19 and 14, 20 and 15, 18 and 14, etc) were more common than when I lived in a more population dense area. A 19 year old dating a 14 year old where I grew up would be scandalous and only a matter of time before the police were involved. But I saw it a whole bunch of times in the country and while some folks might say "Yeah, that's a little weird, he better be careful..." the general reaction was pretty much "Meh...". But I'm curious if that was only my experience.
Not really. Though the redneckery was never far from the surface. Northern Virginia, DC sprawl.

(But my extended family are more North Carolina rural people. I uh...don't spend much time around them.)

So at that point I'd just moved in with my Mom (parents divorced) and in order to "increase my confidence" because I was just coming off the horrid awkward years of middle school and the puberty ugly stick, and my stepmom had previously insisted I wear unfashionable and childish attire, so I was down about my looks... What did my Mother do but gave me all of her sexy clothes she'd bought immediately after the divorce that weren't fitting her anymore since she'd put on some weight. And we were living in Quantico Town which is a run down strip of sketchy on a Marine base, and my Grandparents had opened an ice cream shop. During the summer of my 14th year, newly armed with sexy attire, I was alone working the ice cream shop.

I had SO MANY grown men (Marines, and others) after me. So many.

The boy I ended up with...I mean, 19 is technically an adult and he seemed like a "man" to me then, but now my sons are that age, and I look back and yeah, he was a kid. Anyhow, he lived across the street and I was quite taken with him (for a minute.) My Mom would issue toothless threats against him taking my virginity, so we just "messed around" for a few months...fortunately right after my first sexual experience, my Mom got me on the pill so I didn't get pregnant. But as soon as I started high school, my Freshman year, I started meeting older high school boys who caught my interest and I dropped him.

Though later I took up with him again for a couple of months and he actually moved in with us...until I got bored with him and tired of him and pushed him out of my life for good.

He was a "country boy" (actually taught line dancing classes, no joke!) and that became very incompatible with the person I was becoming as a gothy teenager. Not to mention I didn't really want a serious boyfriend then. I found him on social media a year or two ago, out of curiosity like ya do, didn't reach out, but I was curious where life had taken him. He's got a family, seems happy. I'm glad.

He definitely was not taking advantage of me or being predatory. I was, if anything, doing that to him somewhat. I was no "innocent" as a teenager, anyone who knew me then would tell you how laughable that is.

Old 03-03-2020, 03:40 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,712,863 times
4th grade - 1st kiss and 1st "boyfriend".

Old 03-03-2020, 03:59 PM

102 posts, read 47,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk4894 View Post
i was 13.
Uh huh! This post is really old, 5yrs back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships