Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 10:10 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You can't accept that people live lives that are different from each other? That some people like to go out more than others do? That some of us who live alone are extroverts and enjoy the frequent company of other people?

Nothing about this is particularly "amazing" or anything to be envious of. Except for maybe the slacker neckbeards and social misfits who have zero human relationships to compare to.
You're missing the point entirely, but that point has gone off topic, so it really doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 10:11 AM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Speak for yourself. What is your real problem?
Reread the entire thread, it's not so much just one thing such as dating multiple people, its the dating multiple people working 60 hrs a week going out 5 to 7 nights a week staying out til 2, and then spinning it like that's the norm across the board, when everyone is clearing saying that is not the norm, most educated professionals with lots of responsibilities and over 35 aren't living that lifestyle, he's clinging on to it like its the norm.. if he simple said it was the norm for him and his social circle and not the cultural norm across the board he wouldn't be getting this much grief, at least from me anyways..

Old 11-04-2015, 10:11 AM

252 posts, read 188,051 times
Quote:
You can't accept that people live lives that are different from each other? That some people like to go out more than others do? That some of us who live alone are extroverts and enjoy the frequent company of other people?

Nothing about this is particularly "amazing" or anything to be envious of. Except for maybe the slacker neckbeards and social misfits who have zero human relationships to compare to.
Sure

Old 11-04-2015, 10:12 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Exactly. I live a pretty basic urban single person life. Go see some bands. Have some dates. Work. Have my hobbies. Save a bit of money to travel occasionally. Etc. Nothing out of the ordinary at all.

I'm not even an extrovert. This is all pretty normal stuff.
Yes it is. That people imagine you are bragging about some exotic improbable life is just astounding to me.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:14 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
To me, it's completely bizarre to go away with someone for several days and assume that because there hasn't been explicit "exclusivity talk", it's normal to go out with another person the day after.

I can understand if both people are on the same page as to the casual nature of the relationship. However IMO, if someone wants to continue to play the field, they should be up front about it. That, to me, is the "norm".

Old 11-04-2015, 10:14 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Reread the entire thread, it's not so much just one thing such as dating multiple people, its the dating multiple people working 60 hrs a week going out 5 to 7 nights a week staying out til 2, and then spinning it like that's the norm across the board, when everyone is clearing saying that is not the norm, most educated professions like lots of responsibilities and over 35 aren't living that lifestyle, he's clinging on to it like its the norm.. if he simple said it was the norm for him and his social circle and not the cultural norm across the board he wouldn't be getting this much grief, at least from me anyways..

I never said it was the norm for me. Please don't make things up.

I said it was the norm for the people I worked with in the tech start up community and many, if not most, of my friends. I said having worked at an incubator/accelerator, that this type of lifestyle seems pretty common in the tech start up community. It sure seemed that way in SF, and it does in Boston. And where I live, a large portion of the people work in tech, often start ups.

But hey, people are reading not what I wrote, but what they want to read.

Quote:
Yes it is. That people imagine you are bragging about some exotic improbable life is just astounding to me.

My life is pretty dull actually. I'd love to fit more travel in. And not the travel for training crap that I have coming up.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:18 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
No one believes that you have this little online life that you've painted for yourself, nor do they care. You're just mad because people finally called you out on it.
Not sure why people have made this thread about one person whose lifestyle and experience, TBH, is not all that uncommon. He'd educated, single, lives in an urban area, and over 40. What he describes is pretty standard among people who share his demographics from what I can see. That's my dating pool, actually, and if I were out there dating, I would go about it the same way.

I do think there are differences between urban and suburban or rural settings in terms of dating. The suburban life and its dating culture are not for me. If it is for other people, great. But it's not my thing, and that's okay. It doesn't make me elitist. It just makes me happier in the environment that's right for me, which is a flaming liberal city known for a population that is highly educated, well-traveled, careerist, and sometimes a bit schmoozy and boozy. Your tax dollars, hard at work!

Old 11-04-2015, 10:19 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Yes I think there is some apple/oranges arguments playing out here. I take offense that timberline is being accused of lying about his own lifestyle and experiences, which I find entirely believable and reflected by people in my own circle.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:20 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Not sure why people have made this thread about one person whose lifestyle and experience, TBH, is not all that uncommon. He'd educated, single, lives in an urban area, and over 40. What he describes is pretty standard among people who share his demographics from what I can see. That's my dating pool, actually, and if I were out there dating, I would go about it the same way.

I do think there are differences between urban and suburban or rural settings in terms of dating. The suburban life and its dating culture are not for me. If it is for other people, great. But it's not my thing, and that's okay. It doesn't make me elitist. It just makes me happier in the environment that's right for me, which is a flaming liberal city known for a population that is highly educated, well-traveled, careerist, and sometimes a bit schmoozy and boozy. Your tax dollars, hard at work!

Seriously. You get it.

Quote:
Yes I think there is some apple/oranges arguments playing out here. I take offense that timberline is being accused of lying about his own lifestyle and experiences, which I find entirely believable and reflected by people in my own circle.
My offense is that people are saying I said I do XYZ and calling me a liar about it, when I actually never said I do XYZ at all. That's just loony.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:22 AM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I never said it was the norm for me. Please don't make things up.

I didn't say you, I explicitly didn't mention your name, but you did mention people you 'know' and what you said such about 60 workweek hours and going out 5 nights a week and you came back and said some you know do it 7 times a week.

So no... I not making up things, I just recited what you wrote, never said you I said what you wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships