Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 06:45 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I'm in the opposite camp...I'm so tired of this whole twitterized jargon in which people speak and write nowadays. It's pathetic. I could see if an adult is writing to a child or something...then, yeah, you would want to consider your audience and simplify your statement. But you have grown men and women who have so dumbed down their grammar nowadays, that if you write a statement in any kind of a creative-writing style with more than 140 characters, or one that isnt chock full of abbreviations, acronyms and/or ebonics, people start accusing you of trying to sound "fancy" (let them tell it).

I definitely get the whole economy of language thing, but our short snippet/sound bite, twitterized, ADD society has gotten to where it can't stand having to pay attention to anything for more than a few seconds. So when you write in the creative writing style that most were taught as children, people act like you're doing the most, just for trying to communicate thoroughly. And then they hit you with some lame cliche about trying to "sound smart". But yeah, count me in the camp of people who like it when people at least make the effort to write both clearly (doesn't have to be "fancy") and thoroughly.
Agree. Whole I seldom find it useful or important to use $5 words, I am getting pretty tired of everyone sounding like a stupid idiot.

Look, no one who sees me or meets me galavanting around town and shorts and a t-shirt or a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt is going to think that I had gone to school till 29, banked my first mil by 35, and just sold my companies at 39. I'm jolly, down to earth, unassuming, and sometimes self-effacingly goofy. But I am insanely overeducated and obviously doing well independently.

Eventually it would wear on me if you felt it necessary to constantly act like you had zero education or zero command of the English language just so you didn't feel like you were putting on airs. Actually, that's just a different way of putting on airs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 06:52 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,001,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Well, I responded to post that I'm not 'self-proclaimed' educated...I have a master's degree that proves it.

However, I don't feel a need to go around proclaiming it to anyone.
"Intelligence is like underwear. It's important to have it, but not necessary to show it off."

Old 11-19-2015, 07:19 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,771,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
You might find the sentiment off-putting, but there's a reason for it. You mentioned that she was black. American black women are the least likely to find a man suitable for marriage, so why express a need for something that you likely won't ever have? Black women have to depend on themselves a lot more than others, and that's just the way it is.
What you are saying is true, BUT black women (or any women) can't complain if it puts off potential suitors. Men would like to think they can provide something to a woman, if not financially, then emotionally. That attitude just says you stupid men we don't need you, you all are sorry.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:28 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Men would like to think they can provide something to a woman, if not financially, then emotionally. That attitude just says you stupid men we don't need you, you all are sorry.
You can always look at it that way. You can always look at someone saying they don't need you as some kind of an insult. However, you could also look at it is they don't need you, but they really really want you.

And I'd much rather be wanted then needed. People who need to be needed are extremely insecure at the core.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:45 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,275,403 times
I'm confused.... Where is the corporate jargon?? I don't see any in that post...

I'm assuming you don't like the vocabulary she used to express herself? That's the only take away I could gather from your op.

I agree with others if you don't like women that are educated then don't date them. I don't know what joke you made with her, so honestly it is hard for me to comment on her response to you. It seems like you want a woman that can adjust the way she talks across different environments and situations. There are educated women that do this. She is one woman. I'm lost at how your using that experience to generalize educated women. Also not sure why it's a problem that she wants a man that is passionate and educated as well.

I just feel like you've given us snippets of the interaction and her profile--how can we determine that her (possible) attitude is a problem stemming from being an educated woman versus her just being straight to the point or b**** or a host of other factors that may be more in line with her personality rather than the result of her valuing her education? I also don't see how her response was over the top, without understanding what joke you made and how it came across to her.

This is your second thread where you've implied that the modern educated career woman is a problem for men. It's clear that you either feel intimidated, have had many negative experiences or you dislike them collectively for some other reason. If you find these types of women too difficult to date or be around then don't. There are plenty of women that are not educated or "career woman" that may be more compatible with you. It's okay if you prefer a woman that is not educated or very successful.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:48 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
I'm going to suspect that she isn't interested in a relationship where she has to pretend to be stupid just to protect the man's ego.

Right off the starting line, she is screening for a partner who can understand basic English. There's no point in continuing a conversation with anyone who can't hold a conversation. You, OP, don't want a woman who can speak and she doesn't want a man who can't speak, so there is no reason to continue past the first few notes.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:59 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,609,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm going to suspect that she isn't interested in a relationship where she has to pretend to be stupid just to protect the man's ego.

Right off the starting line, she is screening for a partner who can understand basic English. There's no point in continuing a conversation with anyone who can't hold a conversation. You, OP, don't want a woman who can speak and she doesn't want a man who can't speak, so there is no reason to continue past the first few notes.
Bingo.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:06 AM

37,644 posts, read 46,052,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I'm in the opposite camp...I'm so tired of this whole twitterized jargon in which people speak and write nowadays. It's pathetic. I could see if an adult is writing to a child or something...then, yeah, you would want to consider your audience and simplify your statement. But you have grown men and women who have so dumbed down their grammar nowadays, that if you write a statement in any kind of a creative-writing style with more than 140 characters, or one that isnt chock full of abbreviations, acronyms and/or ebonics, people start accusing you of trying to sound "fancy" (let them tell it).

I definitely get the whole economy of language thing, but our short snippet/sound bite, twitterized, ADD society has gotten to where it can't stand having to pay attention to anything for more than a few seconds. So when you write in the creative writing style that most were taught as children, people act like you're doing the most, just for trying to communicate thoroughly. And then they hit you with some lame cliche about trying to "sound smart". But yeah, count me in the camp of people who like it when people at least make the effort to write both clearly (doesn't have to be "fancy") and thoroughly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Agree. Whole I seldom find it useful or important to use $5 words, I am getting pretty tired of everyone sounding like a stupid idiot.

Agree 100 percent.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:17 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,705,895 times
OP, I get your frustration in a way. I've never liked pretentious people (and a woman can be well educated and not be pretentious). I am dating someone who is highly successful and educated with what I suspect is an IQ that goes out the roof, but is still fun and down to Earth.

But it all boils down to that you and this woman aren't a good match. Personality is part of attraction and her personality isn't for you. There are men out there just like her with whom she's may be a great match (and what she's looking for)... and same for you with women.

Maybe you are just venting, but the reality is you aren't the type of man she's looking for from the sounds of it, and she's definitely not the type of woman you are looking for. So don't let it bother you too much, move on, and keep searching.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:22 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,826,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
And for the men that date self-proclaimed "successful" women. One of my pet-peeves is ....
Pet peeves are about you.

Stick to women to whom you don't respond with peevishness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships