Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 11:15 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,508,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Can someone provide an example of corporate speak? I'm trying to picture how it would be used outside the work/corporate context.
I'm imagining something like, "let's unpack that idea to create more synergy, otherwise we'll be in the weeds with our action items" but I doubt that's what the OP meant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 11:16 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,977,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm going to suspect that she isn't interested in a relationship where she has to pretend to be stupid just to protect the man's ego.

Right off the starting line, she is screening for a partner who can understand basic English. There's no point in continuing a conversation with anyone who can't hold a conversation. You, OP, don't want a woman who can speak and she doesn't want a man who can't speak, so there is no reason to continue past the first few notes.
Wow, you know I also have a problem with salty peope like you that offer nothing positive to threads.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:16 AM

20,429 posts, read 14,752,677 times
Quote:
Ha! Yes! Stickler with an "L." A sticker... bahahaha.

I gotta love the multiple commas. I mean, really, it's creative. I have to wonder why or how it became a thing, though. I've only seen it used here.
Multiple commas are weird. I knew a really crazy drug addict who used to use them, along with random caps-lock, all the time. Now they just make me think of him. He was really nuts. Died in a car wreck a few years ago, poor guy. I actually had made him a friendship bracelet one year for Christmas to encourage him in his rehab.

Anyways.

I like ellipses though... But then I'm also prone to pauses when I speak, so it's part of my thought/speech pattern and it makes sense for me. I do try to mix up my use of hypens, ellipses, commas, and occasionally even semicolons (which I know how to properly use) so as not to be tiresome and repetitive in my punctuation efforts. Wouldn't want that.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:17 AM

252 posts, read 188,716 times
Quote:
Can someone provide an example of corporate speak? I'm trying to picture how it would be used outside the work/corporate context.
Do you talk the same way when you're out drinking as you do in a meeting with superiors?

Old 11-19-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
Bingo.
You must feel really good all over your body.. I should of known "Missclutterbuck".

See, there is absolutely no need for it. We should be having a conversation rather than trying to undermine each other. You can take that as advice.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:19 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,508,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
You must feel really good all over your body.. I should of known "Missclutterbuck".

See, there is absolutely no need for it. We should be having a conversation rather than trying to undermine each other. You can take that as advice.
Do you normally consider having your opinion questioned by a woman to be undermining and hostile?

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 11-19-2015 at 11:29 AM..

Old 11-19-2015, 11:20 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,772,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoninternetguy View Post
Do you talk the same way when you're out drinking as you do in a meeting with superiors?
I do, and I work with a few people who talk to their supervisors as if they'd been out drinking.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
No advice here, but I'll tell you how I see it.

First off, there are women, and then there are resentful women who just have a chip on their shoulder because "my penis is bigger than any man's", and then there are women who really have learned the hard way to be a bit defensive.

With regard to that -- hey, people are people so whatcha gonna do? There's NO SUCH THING as good men or good women, there's only good and bad people, period. When you find good ones, stick around. When you find bad ones, don't get bent out of shape, just move on. Not everybody likes everybody else and that's a fact. Life is too short to waste time with them.

As for the "corporate talk" in the DC area...

Some people put on a show.

Some people really just talk that way, it's habitual and it's part of who they really are.

Once more, whatcha gonna do?

As for the woman herself and her questions regarding whether you've ever dated a black woman...

In this case I cannot make any judgment call which is do-all, be-all, end-all; but I will say that black women who are successful in the business or corporate world have a LOT to deal with, and in my experience it quite understandably takes some time for them to lower their guard. Some of them never do, not ever. Others get past it.

One thing you've got to understand with a lot of black women who are educated and who pursue success is that they're actually fighting an uphill battle which consists not only of vying for success (an uphill battle for anyone) but doing so against the grain of general black culture.

I just know someone will leap on that, suggesting I'm saying black culture is generally unsuccessful. I'm not saying that -- BUT...

When a black man pursues success, he is to be admired per the social purview. It is wrong and silly to say he is "rising above his culture", when in fact he's just a good man trying to do a good job, and that should be the end of it. So he's both insulted and admired, all at once, sort of a back-handed compliment.

When a black woman pursues success in most regions -- and believe me, regionality DOES come into play heavily -- she is seen as more "pragmatic to the point of ruthlessness". Black women have been assigned this sort of televised, pre-scripted larger-than-life embodiment. They are supposed to be overtly-voluptuous, filled with head-twirling-on-neck attitude, hyper-sexualized yet bluntly discerning even to the point of a callous meanness -- and that's just ridiculous!

Unfortunately, even many black men have assigned this quality. It's accepted among lower economic classes, put on as a ready display; and the moment a black woman wants to rise above it, she's "CHASING MONEY", not just a good woman trying to do a good job.

When a black man pursues an interracial relationship, he's assigned the ridiculous status of either "achieving status" OR (dear God, shaking my head) "preying on white women". For all that, it's still not only more accepted but gaining ground as a "norm".

When a black woman shows interest in an interracial relationship she's assigned these AND lambasted by other blacks as a "self-hater" and a "race-hater" and "betraying her own". And these never seem to go away for her.

Black women who have experienced this have also generally experienced something which comes to seem to them less men of other races being genuinely interested in them AS A PERSON, AS A COMPANION, but more "ooooo, the darker the berry the sweeter the juice". They find men interested in them sexually, and NO ONE intelligent wants to be "the forbidden fruit" instead of a beloved partner or companion.

So they have a LOT of crap to deal with, and when a man of another race shows interest then while it's presumptive on the part of the black woman to believe that man is showing misguided interest rather than genuine, experience has often taught them to approach with caution.

Why?

Because they may catch disappointment from the man; they likely WILL catch some hell from their friends and family, and they're already coping with an assigned image from society that tries to pigeon-hole who they are as a person in a very graphic way.

I'd be cautious too, and if I'd seen enough of it I'd be pretty tight-lipped and blunt in my wariness.
I really appreciate this! Really good read, thank you.

Makes a brother feel good!

2,013 posts, read 1,612,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Multiple commas are weird. I knew a really crazy drug addict who used to use them, along with random caps-lock, all the time. Now they just make me think of him. He was really nuts. Died in a car wreck a few years ago, poor guy. I actually had made him a friendship bracelet one year for Christmas to encourage him in his rehab.

Anyways.

I like ellipses though... But then I'm also prone to pauses when I speak, so it's part of my thought/speech pattern and it makes sense for me. I do try to mix up my use of hypens, ellipses, commas, and occasionally even semicolons (which I know how to properly use) so as not to be tiresome and repetitive in my punctuation efforts. Wouldn't want that.
But you use ellipses correctly.

You don't type like this... And end every clause with them... Because you probably realize that makes the reader wonder if you are Jeff Goldblum... Lol... Rofl... Qwertyuiop

Everyone makes mistakes. There are days when I splice the **** out of my sentences, and days when I use no commas at all. Most of it isn't a big deal. Just don't write like you are about to fly over the cuckoo's nest.

6,304 posts, read 9,030,401 times
Quote:
In the case of the guy I mentioned, it was saying things like "this seems like a good idea unless the wheels come off". Or using the word "takeaway" with reckless abandon. I knew we were done though when he actually used the phrase "tapping my resources" in casual conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships