Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 12:17 PM

52 posts, read 43,778 times

Advertisements

I find this positively destructive. As a good partner, one dassn't say such things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 12:45 PM

291 posts, read 390,832 times
Brother, I once went through the same exact thing. In the beginning, I was flattered that she was so in to me. That was in my early 20's. Today, it would be a major red flag. Get out. I wasted several years and a lot of stress.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:39 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
I dont blame you for handling it the way you are. Cuts her right off. After 6 months with you, if she's still acting like this, she will always act like this. Just agreeing with her diffuses her. No argument, yes dear, you're right. Whatever you say.

There will come a time she will have to grow up and stop acting like that. With you not giving her what she wants, ie reassurance that she is the perfect girl, that you will never look at anyone else, blah blah blah, then she will stop looking for that reinforcement. Because the last thing she wants to hear is her say..oh you are looking at that beautiful girl on TV...and you saying .....yep, who wouldnt!

She is very childish. Good luck.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:53 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourdaywillcome View Post
Maybe she's cheating on YOU and throwing it in your lap so she doesn't feel so guilty.
I've heard more than one story of an extremely suspicious and jealous boy/girlfriend who turned out to be the real cheater.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:54 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
Tell her when you stop looking at women on TV and start looking at the guys, then she can worry.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:00 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,773,203 times
So maybe she does have abandonment issues? Was her father a stable figure in her life? Did he not have a relationship with her? I'm going to guess no. Based upon that do you really blame her for not trusting men entirely? She will become more trustworthy over time. But your role to getting her there is A. loving her like she should be loved with respect to her insecurities and B. addressing her concerns- perhaps something like, "what makes you think I would do something like that?"

We all have our issues and when committing to a relationship of any kid, we decide it's either worth it or not.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:30 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
He's already done that plenty of times, one or two hours at a time, according to the OP, for six months now, and she persists.

That puts it in the "emotional disorder" category for me.

It doesn't have to be this hard.
He isn't a trained professional who can get her to look at her behavior from a different light. He likely talked on a loop with her, replaying some trauma from both of their lives.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:33 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Nope...wrong. Abuse issue don't just go away if someone in "on board".
Not so. I agree this is emotionally abusive. But people can be abusive, be shown what they are doing and why and quickly change. We aren't talking about her beating the crap out of him. She likely doesn't see her behavior yet.

I stand by it, if the OP loves her and she is willing to accept she has a problem, then there is a chance (not promising) that things can get much better, and quickly. She might need more work on other issues like trust and self esteem. But...it's up to the OP and his gf to decide if changing is worth it.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:43 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
This is the girl that doesn't want you to have a job. Lose her.

How can i comfort my gf

Old 12-06-2015, 03:51 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
This is the girl that doesn't want you to have a job. Lose her.

How can i comfort my gf
Oh my. OP, what is wrong with you? Do you need an anvil to drop on your head?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships