Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 06:58 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times

Advertisements

OP says that as far as he knows, she doesn't have a credit card, though. It sounds like she must have one, either that, or her parents are sending her money regularly. The math just doesn't add up, otherwise. Especially when you factor in that she says she's putting $600/month in savings.

But yeah, your point that they're two very different people in some ways is what it boils down to. But also, if he had eventual marriage at the back of his mind, he should think twice, given her spending pattern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 07:01 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP says that as far as he knows, she doesn't have a credit card, though. It sounds like she must have one, either that, or her parents are sending her money regularly. The math just doesn't add up, otherwise.
The money can't add up, we don't know anything about her or her finances.

She may have a smaller mortgage, her car may be paid off....... she may freelance on the side. It doesn't even matter, she is certainly entitled to spend money how she wants, as is the OP.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-09-2015, 07:02 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,119,173 times
I am excited to see interest rates sky rocket, then we get to see where people really stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The money can't add up, we don't know anything about her or her finances.

She may have a smaller mortgage, her car may be paid off....... she may freelance on the side. It doesn't even matter, she is certainly entitled to spend money how she wants, as is the OP.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I am excited to see interest rates sky rocket, then we get to see where people really stand.
Be careful what you wish for. But interest may not be relevant to her, if she doesn't have a credit card or any loans.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:05 PM

864 posts, read 1,455,381 times
As a 20-something Coloradoan who also doesn't ski, I understand how you feel about the cost of that and other entertainment expenses. I'm Ms. Frugal...I'm the girl who will check for coupons and deals before I head to a restaurant. And I'm the girl who will happily offer up a coupon to a date if he insists on paying lol. I couldn't imagine spending that much money per week on having "fun"...but then again I'm like you in that I'm introverted and definitely lean towards the homebody side. A night in with friends or a date cooking a meal together and just talking or playing board games is my idea of fun. As are low cost things like fishing, hiking, and going to zoos/museums where I have a membership. I could not see myself with someone who lived a spendy lifestyle. Frugality and financial responsibility were ingrained in me growing up. I'm not saying your GF can't change, but honestly, it doesn't sound like she'd want to. It doesn't sound like you are compatible with her in that area...and that's a very important area to be compatible in for the long term...

Old 12-09-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubt1993 View Post
As a 20-something Coloradoan who also doesn't ski, I understand how you feel about the cost of that and other entertainment expenses. I'm Ms. Frugal...I'm the girl who will check for coupons and deals before I head to a restaurant. And I'm the girl who will happily offer up a coupon to a date if he insists on paying lol. I couldn't imagine spending that much money per week on having "fun"...but then again I'm like you in that I'm introverted and definitely lean towards the homebody side. A night in with friends or a date cooking a meal together and just talking or playing board games is my idea of fun. As are low cost things like fishing, hiking, and going to zoos/museums where I have a membership. I could not see myself with someone who lived a spendy lifestyle. Frugality and financial responsibility were ingrained in me growing up. I'm not saying your GF can't change, but honestly, it doesn't sound like she'd want to. It doesn't sound like you are compatible with her in that area...and that's a very important area to be compatible in for the long term...
Ladies and Gents, I believe we have a match!

Oh, wait.... are you hot?

JUST KIDDING!

Old 12-09-2015, 07:07 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,119,173 times
No it may not but then you will know. I am also a gambling wisher, I am excited for the economy to tank and interest rates to sky rocket, IF I can keep my job through it houses, goods and other services will be dirt cheap. As it is now even though I make good money the market is so artificially inflated I don't have much buying power anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Be careful what you wish for. But interest may not be relevant to her, if she doesn't have a credit card or any loans.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:27 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
When we've talked about this before, she indicated that she's not, that she's fine with hanging out at home on the weekends. She has insisted in the past that she's totally comfortable not going out, staying in, eating in, watching Netflix.

However, I always feel like there's some other event that she wants me to go to on the weekends. Not to say that I don't also plan things, but I do feel like she's the one that initiates most of our social activities. I'm supposed to go to her tree decorating party at her place tonight, and quite honestly, I just want to go home, eat dinner, and chill out.
Face it - you're incompatible - she likes to socialize more and that frequently involves money you don't want to spend. You also sound a bit jealous in that you can't figure out how she's funding all this "fun". This is good stuff to figure out now - just don't fall into the trap of thinking one of you is better than the other because of your respective choices.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:31 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
My husband and I did a lot of camping. So that was cheap. Plus I used to grill steak for dinner and that was cheap. I like garden and DIY activities that were also cheap. I believe we only had one fancy meal at a nice restaurant. I'm not into fancy restaurants, they do not impress me. But gardening and camping were my things.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 12-09-2015 at 08:25 PM..

Old 12-09-2015, 07:33 PM

121 posts, read 102,267 times
To cut costs maybe just tell her you need to start saving money and that you would prefer to do things at home like watch movies/TV and cook dinner together.

To be honest, until I'm I a relationship with someone I prefer going out, but once it's exclusive I prefer more dates at home than out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships