Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 10:42 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleFever View Post
"What is such a pretty lady like yourself doing single" is a way of complimenting you by saying that you're pretty enough to get the attention of any guy. He's basically asking if it's ok for him to flirt with you.
Appropriate answers would be "right back at you!".
Thank you. You can tell a lot by reading some of the responses on here.

The OP is simply trying to understand a man's frame of mind but is getting bombarded by other points of view. A woman can give a man's point of view but it has to be accurate and from a male's perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 10:45 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
I always thought that was pretty much a line, LOL. Kind of like a more believable version of "Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?" or "Do you believe in love at first sight or should I walk past you again?"

I can't remember how I answered this...I know I must have heard it once or twice. Probably just mumbled something equally lame, LOL. Because really it IS just an icebreaker and something to indicate interest. And if you're both interested you forgive one another your mutual lame lines.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Guys really need to think twice before blurting out a cliché compliment that may make the other person feel awkward. For example, as an alternative, he could say, "Oh, lucky me that I found you during what I assume is a rare relationship break!" or something in that vein.
Women should think twice before imposing their own insecurities. It is said all the time and it comes up in all conversations by men. This happens when a woman is really good looking and a man is overwhelmed to the point of "I hit the jack pot". The OP must obviously be very good looking.

The problem when you get so psychologically deep into surface matters, it stunts true growth.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Because really it IS just an icebreaker and something to indicate interest. And if you're both interested you forgive one another your mutual lame lines.
Yes, a simple lame line. When people start going so deep and thinking it can be some insult on the back end is when you start filling your head with non-sense. This is why so many psychologists live on paper rather than the real world.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:54 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,950 times
I used to ask that question to weed out bad first dates when I had a string of bad first dates and I could see why the person was single.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:00 AM

583 posts, read 713,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Women should think twice before imposing their own insecurities. It is said all the time and it comes up in all conversations by men. This happens when a woman is really good looking and a man is overwhelmed to the point of "I hit the jack pot". The OP must obviously be very good looking.

The problem when you get so psychologically deep into surface matters, it stunts true growth.
I don't think it's insecurity as much as that line is tired by now. It's been used so many times. The obvious answer is like anyone else "the previous relationship didn't work out" Other than that, no one wants to get all personal in the beginning of a conversation especially when you barely know them. Someone on here posted that I am just trying to gain better understanding, and they are absolutely right. I always felt like there are better ways to break the ice so to speak, such as letting the conversation flow naturally, but to me, questions like that sound so rigid and awkward. Who taught people that that pick up line gets them a date???

Old 01-04-2016, 11:01 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
I have been on OLD sites and I always run into that cliche question especially when it is the very first thing they ask you aside from what your name is, "What is such a pretty lady like yourself doing single"? I wonder what are some good answers to say without sounding lame about it.
I have always thought this was the dumbest question out there.

When I was single, if anyone was stupid enough to ask me this question, my stock response - with a smile - was always "I haven't met the right guy, and I'm not gonna marry the wrong one."

Old 01-04-2016, 11:03 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Thank you. You can tell a lot by reading some of the responses on here.

The OP is simply trying to understand a man's frame of mind but is getting bombarded by other points of view. A woman can give a man's point of view but it has to be accurate and from a male's perspective.
Um, but by the same token a man can only give his own personal view, not the view of all men...n'cest c'est pas?

I mean since not all men are the same person marching an exactly matching line with the guy in front of and behind him?

Men aren't all cut from one cookie-cutter, you know. And it's unlikely that no women have any insight at all into the motives and thoughts their mates (or at least dates) have had. I mean we do pick up on things (and often, have asked ).

Old 01-04-2016, 11:04 AM

583 posts, read 713,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
I have always thought this was the dumbest question out there.

When I was single, if anyone was stupid enough to ask me this question, my stock response - with a smile - was always "I haven't met the right guy, and I'm not gonna marry the wrong one."
Wow. Nice one. I'm writing this stuff down. I'm loving these ideas! lbvs (laughing but very serious)

Old 01-04-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
Wow. Nice one. I'm writing this stuff down. I'm loving these ideas! lbvs (laughing but very serious)
Do yourself and other men a favor, don't come here to get advice from miserable people and bring back to possible dudes that just don't have the best openers. Stop trying to figure out words and focus on follow through and actions.

You are doing the same as these men seeking pick-up advice and getting bad advice from miserable men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships