Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 11:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question2015 View Post
It benefits our civilization when people pair up. Their kids have a better chance of becoming productive members of society.
I question whether this applies to men who use the phrase "pretty lady." It might be better if they didn't breed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 11:19 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times
I have never been asked that and I've never asked anyone that either.

I think it's a pretty bad idea to ever ask why someone is single. With my experience with dating, it might not hurt to ask IF they are single however.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:25 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times
In the past, I just tell women if you aren't looking to date me don't me ask me that question. I haven't met the right woman and will not waste time with the wrong ones.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:30 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I have never been asked that and I've never asked anyone that either.

This

Old 01-04-2016, 11:37 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,991 times
Oh, you could have SO much fun with this.

"My ex didn't like my pet orangutan. He said it was Charlie or him. Of course I chose Charlie. No one snuggles quite like Charlie!"

"I decided to get rid of 185 pounds of unwanted flab: My ex."

"We didn't share the same vision. Or hear the same voices."

And my favorite: "He had it coming."

Old 01-04-2016, 11:39 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,972,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
I always felt like there are better ways to break the ice so to speak, such as letting the conversation flow naturally, but to me, questions like that sound so rigid and awkward. Who taught people that that pick up line gets them a date???
Then you break the ice every single time then and you won't have issues- simple. You seem to think that you can and will be able to adjust the mindset of a guy that hasn't learned to date or talk to women according to how you want it. A lot of these men are picking up their lines from online geeks just as you are picking up your dates online. You see where I am going with this? You are expecting great line openers while online and passing judgment but do not understand that the reason many people are online is due to their own insecurities and laziness to meet people in the real world- hence 4 pages on what some may or may not consider "cliche". Again, see where I am going with this? So this translates to their approach online and also in the real world- again, 4 pages on a public forum, see what I mean?

So again, stop trying to figure out words and responses for possible cliche openers from men you meet ON LINE and concentrate on follow through/actions or go out in the real world. Not everyone will have your desired look as not everyone will have your desired opener but it doesn't mean there isn't any substance behind that.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:43 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,972,153 times
Online dating can be just as bad as online daters coming into online forums asking why people online ask cliche questions. Then they pick up all these bad advices and cliche responses and bring them back to these online dating sites.

And we wonder what the heck is up with this "feedback loop" (A feedback loop is a term commonly used in economics to refer to a situation where part of the output of a situation is used for new input).

Old 01-04-2016, 11:48 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Then you break the ice every single time then and you won't have issues- simple. You seem to think that you can and will be able to adjust the mindset of a guy that hasn't learned to date or talk to women according to how you want it. A lot of these men are picking up their lines from online geeks just as you are picking up your dates online. You see where I am going with this? You are expecting great line openers while online and passing judgment but do not understand that the reason many people are online is due to their own insecurities and laziness to meet people in the real world- hence 4 pages on what some may or may not consider "cliche". Again, see where I am going with this? So this translates to their approach online and also in the real world- again, 4 pages on a public forum, see what I mean?

So again, stop trying to figure out words and responses for possible cliche openers from men you meet ON LINE and concentrate on follow through/actions or go out in the real world. Not everyone will have your desired look as not everyone will have your desired opener but it doesn't mean there isn't any substance behind that.
Oh, come on. "Why are you single" is an obnoxious, intrusive question, with an undercurrent of, "You seem nice but something must be wrong with you if you're not already taken." It's rude, and a stranger on a dating site has absolutely no business asking such a thing. What if someone divorced after an abusive marriage? What if someone was raped and had to go through 5 years of counseling before dating again? What if someone's spouse died, or was murdered?

Women--or men--don't have to make excuses for boorish questions, bad manners, and social ineptitude. If you want to play on OLD, you need to be at the top of your game, not the bottom and using it as a crutch because you can't handle an actual conversation in real time with another human being.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:48 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Thank you. You can tell a lot by reading some of the responses on here.

The OP is simply trying to understand a man's frame of mind but is getting bombarded by other points of view.
Including from other men, who say it's a lame line that they never use.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:51 AM

583 posts, read 713,574 times
Quote:

Hell, now that I think about it, it's not just OLD, it's in the "real world" too that that question is asked. I'm not trying to change/adjust the midset of a guy. It is obvious that my previous relationship didn't work, which is common sense doesn't suffice, which is why the question is posed in the first place. I am pretty sure he doesn't want to hear about WHY my relationship didn't work so early in the conversation, and if he did, I still wouldn't tell him because it is none of his business, since I don't know him and he doesn't know me. I have made strides, plenty of times to break the ice that wasn't "Why are you single"? and somehow it still leads to that question. The line is tired, point blank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships