Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 11:23 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,341,120 times

Advertisements

Kill your career, and (possibly) kill yourself!

Affair discovered: end of job! Hubby, ex-cop, most likely still packs a heater....you do the math.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:27 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
And...HELLO PEOPLE...what about the kid he is supposed to be mentoring? What a crap coach you are, OP. ****ing around with a family like that.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:37 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
OP yes playing with fire is fun but F THIS!, it has too much potential for aggravation to seriously consider it.

Avoid like the plague as its not worth the hassle mate

Old 02-08-2016, 01:29 PM

454 posts, read 310,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboarded View Post
I coach after-school sports among the top 5% in a large cosmopolitan American city. One of the mother's of an athlete (hs senior) I have been coaching for two years and I have gotten to be friends. We see each other during and after games and we talk about school, grades, traffic, the presidential race, college admissions, climate change--the usual medley of modern American upper middle class life topics.

I like her a lot as a person. She's intelligent, funny and still cute at 46. I am 35, single/not dating seriously, very fit, straight, and not unattracted to older woman.

Said mother is noticeably friendly with me. Hands on my arms and shoulder when making a point, close-taking, the occasional stepping on my toe. These are not isolated instances. There have been a half dozen conversations like this at least.

Once she just dropped into conversation a casual "I like you." It didn't sound with any romantic intention though, just a statement of fact. I think I dumbly said "thanks" not really knowing what else to say.

She totally has her life--house, husband, Honda Passport, two kids in private high school. She works an insane amount. This is a family of strivers.

When I'm with her, my internal conversation is something like "Jesus, J--- can't actually be flirting with me this blatantly." The thought of having an affair is like so far beyond my comprehension. I can't even conceive of what the logistics would be.

Am I right in seeing this as flirting or is this just an older (perhaps sexually unhappy) mom who enjoys feeling like she still has some game?
Let it go. Even if she was this can't end well. There are too many other amazing, available single women to bother with this kind of drama.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:32 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
OP, what do you mean by "top 5%"? Top 5% of what? That seems relevant to you somehow but I don't get it.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:37 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
She might be looking for a little side action. I personally would avoid having anything to do with her, her being married and also you're supposed to be a coach to the kids, not macking on the moms. Too much happening here to let it go any further.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:38 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboarded View Post
I coach after-school sports among the top 5% in a large cosmopolitan American city. One of the mother's of an athlete (hs senior) I have been coaching for two years and I have gotten to be friends. We see each other during and after games and we talk about school, grades, traffic, the presidential race, college admissions, climate change--the usual medley of modern American upper middle class life topics.

I like her a lot as a person. She's intelligent, funny and still cute at 46. I am 35, single/not dating seriously, very fit, straight, and not unattracted to older woman.

Said mother is noticeably friendly with me. Hands on my arms and shoulder when making a point, close-taking, the occasional stepping on my toe. These are not isolated instances. There have been a half dozen conversations like this at least.

Once she just dropped into conversation a casual "I like you." It didn't sound with any romantic intention though, just a statement of fact. I think I dumbly said "thanks" not really knowing what else to say.

She totally has her life--house, husband, Honda Passport, two kids in private high school. She works an insane amount. This is a family of strivers.

When I'm with her, my internal conversation is something like "Jesus, J--- can't actually be flirting with me this blatantly." The thought of having an affair is like so far beyond my comprehension. I can't even conceive of what the logistics would be.

Am I right in seeing this as flirting or is this just an older (perhaps sexually unhappy) mom who enjoys feeling like she still has some game?
Leave taken women alone period because it can end badly.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:30 PM

107 posts, read 198,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Hm. Ex-cop current GC is scarier than say software engineer or chef, so.
There's that, if he found out. Police even ex police can make your life hell if mad at you.

If she gets all emotionally into you, she may give herself away at home.

I'm too risk aversive to take on that sort of spouse. Were he a corporate goon or dentist or somesuch the fear factor would be far less.

I'd want more data on hubs before moving forward. See how emotionally invested in him she is. She may adore him and he ignore HER, and she wants to make him jealous. That could be scary AF for you if that's her game.
Yes, much scarier than corporate goon or dentist.. He could crush me in the palm of his hand.

I think it is a case of her adoring him (or at least feeling beholden to him) and he ignoring her or just being so narcissistic that he can't connect. They married in college. I think they do love each other on some foundational level but whatever flame there was died long, long ago. I feel real bad for the kids.

So, ok, I think I get it. Her flirting with me is some temporary release from her pain of a stagnant marriage.

God, this kind of thing makes me NEVER want to get married.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:54 PM

107 posts, read 198,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
OP, it would be the height of douchery and selfishness to even flirt with the married parent of a child you are coaching/mentoring.

Interestingly, nothing in your posts shows you have given that child and the future of his intact family any consideration at all.

What a world
FYI, I care an infinite amount for the child I coach.....another reason to close this case.

Done. I'm convinced. Nothing will come of this but badness. If she continues to flirt, I will act aloof and play the fool.

Thanks all.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:27 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Where the heck do you find the time to discuss climate change and politics before and after games?!? How do you two even get into topics like that? I could see college admissions, schooling and grades, but the other conversations baffle me.

And she drives a Honda Pilot. Doesn't that turn you off right there????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships