Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 12:00 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,069 times

Advertisements

It seems this way, except if you're under 35, or if you live in a place with good salaries and a below average costs of living. However, on the flip side, most men do not care if a woman doesn't have her own place, no matter what age.
Now if a man owns a house and rents rooms out, that's not a bad thing, seemingly, other than that, if a 35 or over man, doesn't have their own apartment or house yet, most Women out there judge that when it comes to dating.
This is one reason, why, I hope I'm wrong. Perhaps, some of these women, need to learn what's going on it a lot of major and popular, American Cities (look at the chart below)?
I don't see it getting better, before it gets worse, so let's be fairer to each other?
A guy may have a nice place and their own condo or house, but, if he's living paycheck or paycheck or worse, or working 60 hours or more a week, just to do so, how is that impressive in the female mind (even thought that shouldn't matter that much either)?
I know about the privacy thing and maybe having to work around romantic times, but, there's always hotels, if you're really that bent out of shape about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do too many women still look at American Men over 35, who don't have their own place like a scarlet letter?-incomefraction_0.png  

Last edited by beenhereandthere; 02-08-2016 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 12:07 PM

854 posts, read 585,800 times
Roommate okay but living with parents?

Nope nope and nope. There is no excuse for being an adult lacking in independence and even an attempt to provide for and look after oneself. That's not functional adulthood.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:13 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times
Honestly, put me in this category. For men OR women. There are exceptions...temporary situations; for example, my ex-husband was 30 and moved back in with his parents for 6 months following his divorce while looking for an apartment in a safe locale for his son (he had sole custody). He had NO intention of staying in that situation and I have to be honest...if it had been a significantly longer period of time without action, say it had been a year or more and he was still with his parents, I wouldn't have been excusing it any more, not in small part because I too was a single parent and always managed to find a way to live independently. Independence is just part of my lifestyle and I couldn't see getting together with someone for whom it didn't mean much.

35 and living with parents...yeah...I mean...I just don't know.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:15 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
It seems this way, except if you're under 35, or if you live in a place with good salaries and a below average costs of living. However, on the flip side, most men do not care if a woman doesn't have her own place, no matter what age.
Now if a man owns a house and rents rooms out, that's not a bad thing, seemingly, other than that, if a 35 or over man, doesn't have their own apartment or house yet, most Women out there judge that when it comes to dating.
This is one reason, why, I hope I'm wrong. Perhaps, some of these women, need to learn what's going on it a lot of major and popular, American Cities?
I don't see it getting better, before it gets worse, so let's be fairer to each other?
A guy may have a nice place and their own condo or house, but, if he's living paycheck or paycheck or worse, just to do so, how is that impressive in the female mind (even thought that shouldn't matter that much either)?
I know about the privacy thing and maybe having to work around romantic times, but, there's always hotels, if you're really that bent out of shape about it.
Because of traditional gender roles, which women use when it's convenient for them.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:17 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
Roommate okay but living with parents?

Nope nope and nope. There is no excuse for being an adult lacking in independence and even an attempt to provide for and look after oneself. That's not functional adulthood.
Not even sure if that shouldn't get a pass, but, it would depend, on if the person is living with their parents, since they give them part time care, or, do they have their own separate living space.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:22 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
This is one reason, why, I hope I'm wrong. Perhaps, some of these women, need to learn what's going on it a lot of major and popular, American Cities?
A guy may have a nice place and their own condo or house, but, if he's living paycheck or paycheck or worse, just to do so, how is that impressive in the female mind (even thought that shouldn't matter that much either)?
Over 35 year old man or woman living with roommates is no problem, but still living at home is a big fat no.

Coming from a woman - women are attracted to men who have some level of ambition and some promise of being successful either currently or at least in the future because no woman wants to live her married life in her mother-in-law's basement. If by 35 years old a guy can't even support himself to the point of living independently of his parents, how is he going to be able to ever afford to support kids?

Even in an expensive city, most adults will live with multiple roommates rather than in mom's basement. Most well-adjusted adults have no interest in living under their parent's roof unless it's a dire emergency. Living with parents after 35 for either gender is a huge sign that that person is more of a child than an adult - and probably always will be.

Last edited by patches403; 02-08-2016 at 01:35 PM..

Old 02-08-2016, 12:23 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,905,442 times
Women, men... no difference. An independent adult usually wants another independent adult to form a relationship with.

If you are not independent enough to live on your own, either better your circumstances before trying to find a partner or find a partner who also is not independent yet.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:43 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
Because of traditional gender roles, which women use when it's convenient for them.
And you just LOVE those women! Oh...except do you still live at home?

Old 02-08-2016, 12:44 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,720,617 times
The percentage of adults aged 25 to 31 living with parents is a tiny 16%. So I imagine the number of people 35 and over is much smaller even.

Young women living at home with parents aren't as much of a social phenomenon as young men--because they are much more likely to NOT be living at home with parents. Imagine that, they are living in the same economy but the results are different for genders.

So yes, a guy living at home with parents at 35 is going get the side eye every time.

A Rising Share of Young Adults Live in Their Parents

Old 02-08-2016, 12:48 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,137,108 times
I wouldnt mind. I live with my mom and I dont think its a big deal. Its expensive to live out on your own. I would date a guy who lived at home. That doesn't sound to bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships