Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 11:54 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Julia would you or someone else define " catfished " please if you don't mind?.

I'm sorry if I've missed it on the thread but have seen it mentioned before on here and am at a loss as its not a term we use here.

Thank you
The first line of the post you quoted. It's when a person makes up a fake persona on the Internet so people will fall in love, have sex, offer pity, be friends, etc. Like "Sarah" from my online group, pretending she had cancer. She wasn't a real person. We see it on this very board all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
I kind of understand "catfishing" as a term. But there isn't evidence that this guy was a "catfish" or had a real profile, but was trying to sucker the OP in for a hookup or something. What could have started out as something potentially serious, turned into a game for whatever reason.
You believe that Mateo truly was a Portuguese MMA fighter recruited by Google but couldn't keep the number and genders of his siblings straight, but just messing with the OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
They are using an auto-dialer to call me on a cell phone, which is illegal to do so. So yeah, I'll dick with them, and record the call to submit it to the FCC. I have zero sympathy for scams like that nor the people working for them.
My husband used to put my toddler on the phone with telemarketers.

2,249 posts, read 2,824,885 times
Quote:
I kind of understand "catfishing" as a term. But there isn't evidence that this guy was a "catfish" or had a real profile, but was trying to sucker the OP in for a hookup or something. What could have started out as something potentially serious, turned into a game for whatever reason.
Don't take offense to this, but I get the impression you have catfished before. You seem awfully protective of the behavior and that it's ok to play with people's emotions (since you admitted doing it yourself).....

Old 02-15-2016, 11:56 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
But he was lying about so much, and there was proof of that. He is an MMA champion but he is nowhere to be found on Google? The guy was lying and pretending to be someone else, maybe those were his pics, but his name was not Portuguese, he made up how many siblings he has, he made up his age, so obviously there is some catfishing going on. What he presented as himself was not true. That's pretty clear.
And one of my friends met her boyfriend at a bar. The guy used the line that his uncle was the owner of the Chicago Cubs (same last name) because she was a huge cubs fan. He kept that up for a few days, came clean that it was his way of meeting girls and they've been dating for almost a hear and a half now.

Its not that uncommon for people to lie like that. I saw it happen all the time with people pretending to be doctors or lawyers or whatever

Old 02-15-2016, 11:57 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,022,183 times
I am not understanding caverunner's position here. It is obvious that the person or persons communicating with the OP was/were engaged in catfishing.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Don't take offense to this, but I get the impression you have catfished before. You seem awfully protective of the behavior and that it's ok to play with people's emotions (since you admitted doing it yourself).....
Lol. I dont have time to create a fake persona. If me dicking around with telemarketers who illegally call me for some scam company makes me a catfish, then so be it.

All I said is that it's pretty normal online. Have had plenty of experience with girls doing that before to guys when I was into online dating, but didn't get upset, make a thread or anything. Just moved to the next one who seemed real enough.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:01 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
The first line of the post you quoted. It's when a person makes up a fake persona on the Internet so people will fall in love, have sex, offer pity, be friends, etc. Like "Sarah" from my online group, pretending she had cancer. She wasn't a real person. We see it on this very board all the time.

You believe that Mateo truly was a Portuguese MMA fighter recruited by Google but couldn't keep the number and genders of his siblings straight, but just messing with the OP?
I apologise Julia I missed that and it's as obvious as sin

Thank you for the answer

Old 02-15-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
I am not understanding caverunner's position here. It is obvious that the person or persons communicating with the OP was/were engaged in catfishing.
Carfishing, lying, playing, whatever you want to call it. It's all the same.

My position? It's not uncommon online. Happens quite frequently. Whether the person is real and making stuff up as they go or has an entirely different persona. Same outcome, really.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:04 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,824,885 times
Quote:
And one of my friends met her boyfriend at a bar. The guy used the line that his uncle was the owner of the Chicago Cubs (same last name) because she was a huge cubs fan. He kept that up for a few days, came clean that it was his way of meeting girls and they've been dating for almost a hear and a half now.

Its not that uncommon for people to lie like that. I saw it happen all the time with people pretending to be doctors or lawyers or whatever
Ok that was one lie. But did your friend also lie to her about what his name is? Did he lie about how many siblings he has? Did he also lie to her about his age? It's one thing for one white lie, it's a whole other when it's a ton of lies, and lies that don't make sense. It makes sense why he was lying to her about the Cubs and his uncle, because you are trying to impress. But why would you lie about your name, number of siblings, etc. Makes no sense.

Also, she met him at a BAR. She saw him in real life and knew he existed, so your example does not compare, not the same thing.

I think you are confusing playing a game for a hookup, and telling white lies to impress someone to bed them, with, someone creating a fake identity and history, to build a relationship for weeks on end.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:05 PM

684 posts, read 514,833 times
Quote:
Well, Madison was ranked as the "5th gayest city in the US" Magazine tabs Madison as "fifth-gayest" city in U.S. | Local News | host.madison.com so it's still relevant.

WTF How does a city get rated for its gay factor? .. does it have to have a certain number of dildos affixed to park benches
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships