Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2016, 07:36 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Okay, but are you saying this happens in real life? In real life, people get hostile with you for not doing what they want you to do?

Or just a bunch of random shmos on the internet?

If in real life people are literally hostile toward you for your dating preferences and so on then you need to talk to those people and if necessary, simply disassociate from them. Cut them off. They're toxic.

The internet is a different thing. Nobody here can MAKE you do anything. In fact, here isn't even "here" in any literal sort of way. It's a bunch of people saying a bunch of stuff...why? Because, well...we all came to a forum. IOW, a "place" of discussion. It's that simple. And everyone knows that on the internet, anyone can say anything. If someone is going to "opt out of life" because nobody would cheerlead him/her on some anonymous internet forum then I don't even know what to tell that person, but I suspect s/he already wanted to "opt out" and is just looking for an excuse because...come on. "I'm opting out of life because an internet forum seems hostile to my choices?" Erm yeah.

Sorry to be harsh but, really now.
The opting out comment was in response to Aurealia, basically saying that some people can't handle life. Especially if they have known nothing but pain and failure but have never had success.

Even if it is the internet, is there really any excuse for things to get this ugly though just because a person chooses to date a certain way?

Quote:
Right. Character flaw at 12:00. ^ Yes, we all have them. Nobody can fix them for us. That's something we have to do for ourselves. Supporting any and every dating practice as okey-dokey no matter what our real opinion is on the subject isn't going to stop a person such as you describe above from sitting around waiting for something to bite him/her or light a fire under him/herself to change.
I think we are saying the same thing here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 08:09 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
I don't believe this has to be true.

People change for all sorts of reasons, including, sometimes, simply because they want to be better, to feel better about themselves...to have an accomplishment...to break a pattern...to learn or be something new.

Not because if they don't, they risk something terrible happening and not because someone gave them an ultimatum but simply because the desire to become anew is inside them.

I've had this experience and have changed in many ways literally for me. I am definitely not alone in this.

(Edited out a bunch of stuff that was veering OT )
I will say this I think we are (along with butterfly) are both right. There are people that change of their own fruition without external prodding but there are many people out there who have only changed after they've hit their personal rock bottom whether it is their spouse leaving them or getting locked up in jail or nearly dying from a drug overdose, heart attack or the like.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:47 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Okay, but are you saying this happens in real life? In real life, people get hostile with you for not doing what they want you to do?

Or just a bunch of random shmos on the internet?

If in real life people are literally hostile toward you for your dating preferences and so on then you need to talk to those people and if necessary, simply disassociate from them. Cut them off. They're toxic.

The internet is a different thing. Nobody here can MAKE you do anything. In fact, here isn't even "here" in any literal sort of way. It's a bunch of people saying a bunch of stuff...why? Because, well...we all came to a forum. IOW, a "place" of discussion. It's that simple. And everyone knows that on the internet, anyone can say anything. If someone is going to "opt out of life" because nobody would cheerlead him/her on some anonymous internet forum then I don't even know what to tell that person, but I suspect s/he already wanted to "opt out" and is just looking for an excuse because...come on. "I'm opting out of life because an internet forum seems hostile to my choices?" Erm yeah.

Sorry to be harsh but, really now.

Right. Character flaw at 12:00. ^ Yes, we all have them. Nobody can fix them for us. That's something we have to do for ourselves. Supporting any and every dating practice as okey-dokey no matter what our real opinion is on the subject isn't going to stop a person such as you describe above from sitting around waiting for something to bite him/her or light a fire under him/herself to change.
Exactly. Good post JerZ.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:26 AM

1,185 posts, read 804,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Or, the woman has chosen a relationship that is not egalitarian. (No cult or cultural upbringing necessary.)

So, find someone who thinks like you do.

Just don't expect that all will, or "should".

I'm all about empowerment of women and that is why I said some women are ok being 'traditional' .

I don't think you read well and you should not assume I'm looking, if by 'you' you meant me.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:28 AM

1,185 posts, read 804,539 times
48 pages of thread about something too simple as commonsense and personal choice.

Now I understand why dating can suck big time lol.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:09 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgardian View Post
I'm all about empowerment of women and that is why I said some women are ok being 'traditional' .

I don't think you read well and you should not assume I'm looking, if by 'you' you meant me.
Nope, it was the general "you".

Old 03-17-2016, 07:19 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:
48 pages of thread about something too simple as commonsense and personal choice.

Its a none issue for 99% of people dating.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:42 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Its a none issue for 99% of people dating.
More like 99.9%

Old 03-17-2016, 07:42 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:

That is the key word in your post. "Can."

It doesn't for most people. But, some folks could **** up free ice cream, so...

Old 03-17-2016, 10:51 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
That is the key word in your post. "Can."

It doesn't for most people. But, some folks could **** up free ice cream, so...
And there you have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships