Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 08:25 AM

37,754 posts, read 46,228,888 times

Advertisements

This had been covered here already. SEVERAL times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 09:20 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,099,558 times
Well...because they want you to be attracted to them.

And yes, I believe many people think, "Well, once s/he meets me, s/he will fall for my personality anyway." What the person isn't taking into account is the fact that if part of his/her personality is lying/deception/catfishing, then that's an internal turnoff right off the bat. What else is the person hiding?

What I found way back when I was still dating and dabbled with OLD for a few months was that with men, it was "younger." Sometimes you could just...tell. There was an 80s haircut or whatever, LOL. Or the picture literally looked like a picture of a physical picture...grainy or off-color and the whole bit. Other times, it was harder to tell.

The one dude I dated who was 10 years older than I was (kind of "old" for me to begin with, I don't prefer that much of an age difference at all) described himself as "salt and pepper." Indeed, in his online photo, he was very very dark-haired, with streaks of gray. I met him and he was ALL GRAY, like steel gray, 100%. It was on the tip of my tongue to say, "Where's the pepper part?"

The excuse back then was usually "my camera broke and this is the only picture I have"...I wonder if that one still flies...I doubt it, due to cell phones... I wonder what excuse people make now.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:51 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,391,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
OP: You know why. I mean, in practice, it's silly and misleading, but you know exactly why.
This.

I've had it happen twice. Both men were 50+ lbs heavier than their photos suggested. I know it happens far more often to men.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:57 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,795,379 times
Yeah it happens more to men which is why I'm so surprised when a man does it.

What's worse is the guy I went out with knew he had gained weight since his pics and even said something about not going to lose the weight because he "can't". So he knew what he was doing...

I mean I have cut my hair, not upload a new photo, and hoped the person wouldn't think I was catfishing them.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:00 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,218,543 times
I think this goes in the same line of thinking as selfies taken while holding the phone above your head while looking up. They're only fooling themselves.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:32 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,298,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well...because they want you to be attracted to them.

And yes, I believe many people think, "Well, once s/he meets me, s/he will fall for my personality anyway." What the person isn't taking into account is the fact that if part of his/her personality is lying/deception/catfishing, then that's an internal turnoff right off the bat. What else is the person hiding?

What I found way back when I was still dating and dabbled with OLD for a few months was that with men, it was "younger." Sometimes you could just...tell. There was an 80s haircut or whatever, LOL. Or the picture literally looked like a picture of a physical picture...grainy or off-color and the whole bit. Other times, it was harder to tell.

The one dude I dated who was 10 years older than I was (kind of "old" for me to begin with, I don't prefer that much of an age difference at all) described himself as "salt and pepper." Indeed, in his online photo, he was very very dark-haired, with streaks of gray. I met him and he was ALL GRAY, like steel gray, 100%. It was on the tip of my tongue to say, "Where's the pepper part?"

The excuse back then was usually "my camera broke and this is the only picture I have"...I wonder if that one still flies...I doubt it, due to cell phones... I wonder what excuse people make now.
Deep down, we all know why people use older photos or photos that don't accurately represent who they are now. It's because deep down that person doesn't like who they've become. Whether they've put on weight, stress of life has caused their hair to become more gray, stress of life has caused crows feet, and so on and so on. The picture of them is generally of the person they like. Whether that picture was taken 5 minutes ago or 5 years ago. That moment in time, that person felt that their picture was a good representation of themselves and who they are or who they want to be.

I'm friends with a woman on facebook who became recently engaged, yet her TBT picture is usually of her when she was between the ages of 17-21. It was back when she felt most pretty and when her mother was still alive. Granted she's engaged to a man that loves her the way she is, yet she's struggling to love herself. She's also the type of person who post at least 5 selfies a day to feel better about herself. When you don't like the image staring back at you in the mirror, sometimes you want to seek validation from a 3rd party. Like with weight gain, you didn't gain it overnight so you're not going to lose it overnight. Typically when you gain weight though you tend to enjoy doing that activity, so you really don't even notice the gains till it's too late.

Online dating is just an easier way to blur reality to hope someone will overlook the person staring back at you in the mirror, because you already don't like the person staring back at you in the mirror. Plus, online dating still carries a lot of vanity and women can be competitive with other women at the same time.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:06 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,673,934 times
lol we all know why. Most people are judgmental and are quick to dismiss someone as a potential partner based off of physical looks; especially on dating sites.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:13 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,709,951 times
lol... Look the amount of photoshop today.. Also, why do people make plastic surgery because under that they still have bad genes and they are old..

Old 03-22-2016, 12:17 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,482,142 times
Once you have them in the door you can attempt to sell them your wares, but until they walk in you're just another store on the block.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:28 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,218,543 times
They should use supermodel pics. Give them a real shock when they finally meet in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships