Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 07:06 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,984,722 times

Advertisements

Who wants to see my buda?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 07:37 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,657,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Yea we all want to look good online, we'll use pics of our good sides/angles/whatever, but I never understood why someone would use photos of themselves when they were much lighter. Do they think that if they can get the person to meet them, they might fall for their personality and not mind their weight? Are they just trying to get as many first dates as possible? It happened to me maybe once or twice, and it just annoyed me that they did that. I felt lied to and didn't want to see them again. Does anybody end up liking someone who did this to them? It feels like a waste of time for both parties.
Agreed I don't know why people do this. Makes no sense to me.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:45 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,391,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I'm actually trying to lose some weight for my upcoming triathlon (Ironman/225k ). I want to be lean/efficient as possible, and not have to carry too much muscle. 153lbs is my racing weight (sweet spot).

You're gonna have to shoot me over a pic of your recent results.

If you're online dating, expect a +\- 30lbs upon meet up, Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
Lol, and for "average" to mean anywhere from 120 lbs. to 250 lbs.
My description/body type always reflected what I was. So it started off as "curvy" and then "average" -- even at 180 lbs. But that weight on my frame, at my height, does not look 180.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:45 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,213,203 times
They put up what the consider to be pix of them at their best. Then when they're messaged and a date happens, they feel they at least got their foot in the door. Rather than someone seeing their pix and writing them off from the get-go.

It is a very flawed plan. But I think desperation can breed some of people's worst ideas. They do what the can to get a foot inside. As for them, it's worth a shot, rather than having the door slammed in your face from the beginning.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:45 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,796,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
My description/body type always reflected what I was. So it started off as "curvy" and then "average" -- even at 180 lbs. But that weight on my frame, at my height, does not look 180.
This one guy put "athletic" for his body type on his profile. His pics were taken from angles where you couldn't really see his body. When I met up with him he was not the kind of atheltic I was thinking of! Maybe he had muscle but he looked more overweight. When I confronted him about how he lied on his profile about having an athletic body type he said "I run, jump, and am active". Lol. I karaoke but that doesn't make me a singer.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:57 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,827,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
This one guy put "athletic" for his body type on his profile. His pics were taken from angles where you couldn't really see his body. When I met up with him he was not the kind of atheltic I was thinking of! Maybe he had muscle but he looked more overweight. When I confronted him about how he lied on his profile about having an athletic body type he said "I run, jump, and am active". Lol. I karaoke but that doesn't make me a singer.
I agree, I find that lots of people think if they're active that means they have an "athletic" body type, however you can be skinny and active as well as overweight and active. On the flip side there are people who have athletic bodies and haven't stepped foot in a gym. Often times I've found stocky men list themselves as athletic, and have found some men who are quite fit list themselves as average (guess they're low balling themselves) lol.

Personally I'm maybe 10-15 pounds overweight (I fluctuate) and I list myself as curvy, but I should probably change it to average as I've found that other women twice my size list themselves as curvy or average.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:18 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,751,107 times
I have to agree with coconut. I struggle to maintain my weight, ironically in the same range. I had to up calories to 3800-4000 vs 3300-3400

Old 03-23-2016, 08:24 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,462,133 times
[quote=bebe182;43452696 Often times I've found stocky men list themselves as athletic, and have found some men who are quite fit list themselves as average (guess they're low balling themselves) lol.[/quote]

Pretty much everyone here is "athletic" or "fit." I think if I created a new profile and excluded those body types, no one would be left. Either that or they are "thin." There are a lot of skinny men in the Portland metro area!

I always put my body type as "average."

Old 03-23-2016, 03:47 PM

10,085 posts, read 7,291,222 times
As others have said, because they're insecure. I know that looking at old pictures, I think "damn, I used to look good... not so much anymore." That, and with OLD you have to do anything to put the odds a little more in your favor. Those Okcupid studies showed exponential imbalances on contact based on small variations of attractiveness... and the less attractive ones get messaged VERY little.

I always used pics taken within 1 year and would delete them if they passed that 1-year threshold.

When I was dating, both OLD and especially in real-life, there was a direct relationship between my weight/fitness level and the attractiveness of my prospects. I'm fairly confident, especially since about age 26 more or less, so I never had much problem attracting women. However, the more weight, the less attractive girls were interested. Basically more chubby girls came onto me, fewer cute & fit ones. It was amazing the difference 10 or 15 lbs would make. I did not think I looked that different at 190 lbs vs. 180, but the hotness level of the women I attracted was significantly better at my lower weight levels. I'd work out for 2-3 months and suddenly much cuter girls were chatting me up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships