Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 01:46 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,786,773 times

Advertisements

If they have such a big problem with it why don't they just lose the weight? I'm sorry, I just can't wrap my head around this. Probably because I've never had a weight issue before. Sorry if I sound unsympathetic, but it seems counter intuitive that if they think getting in the door with dating is all about the physical and they falsely represent themselves as they're not what they really look like in person, then they have failed. If you're going to care about the physical and be vain, why not actually do it and look good? I understand this is harder with age but elderly people can be beautiful too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 01:54 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,379,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
If they have such a big problem with it why don't they just lose the weight? I'm sorry, I just can't wrap my head around this. Probably because I've never had a weight issue before. Sorry if I sound unsympathetic, but it seems counter intuitive that if they think getting in the door with dating is all about the physical and they falsely represent themselves as they're not what they really look like in person, then they have failed. If you're going to care about the physical and be vain, why not actually do it and look good? I understand this is harder with age but elderly people can be beautiful too.
Because its not that easy to lose weight; you of all people should know this, LOl. I know, I would struggle just losing 5lbs.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:58 PM

92 posts, read 70,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Because its not that easy to lose weight; you of all people should know this, LOl. I know, I would struggle just losing 5lbs.
Actually it is that easy. Just burn more calories than you consume and it falls off. I lost 40 pounds last year by counting calories alone.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:01 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,292,742 times
Quote:

Because the process of losing weight for most people is no fun, till it gets to a point to where you actually enjoy it, and that takes time. Most people tend to enjoy eating foods that are or aren't healthy for them. Food restriction and an uptick in exercise is going to be unpleasant till it becomes a routine.

Most people will say they want someone to just love them for them. Most people lose weight for two different reasons. They either want to attract the type of partner they're mentally attracted to, yet know that their physical appearance won't attract that person. Or it's a dire health issue and it's lose weight or die earlier than expected.

I know a few women who lost weight to strictly get a man they desired. Got the man they wanted and gained all the weight back and then some.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:02 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,457,528 times
I've deleted my profile, but I actually got more profile views BEFORE I lost 25 lbs. Weight loss did not help my cause any; it just made me more invisible when it came to OLD, although I took before and after pictures in the same outfit and a couple of my closest friends couldn't tell which was "before" and which was "after."

Old 03-22-2016, 02:07 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,061,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I've deleted my profile, but I actually got more profile views BEFORE I lost 25 lbs. Weight loss did not help my cause any; it just made me more invisible when it came to OLD, although I took before and after pictures in the same outfit and a couple of my closest friends couldn't tell which was "before" and which was "after."
Hmmm, wow, that's weird.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:11 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,357,645 times
Quote:
Yea we all want to look good online, we'll use pics of our good sides/angles/whatever, but I never understood why someone would use photos of themselves when they were much lighter. Do they think that if they can get the person to meet them, they might fall for their personality and not mind their weight? Are they just trying to get as many first dates as possible? It happened to me maybe once or twice, and it just annoyed me that they did that. I felt lied to and didn't want to see them again. Does anybody end up liking someone who did this to them? It feels like a waste of time for both parties.

Why does a kid hide his report card (do kids even carry grades home anymore?)? I think they stress over their appearance and for a few minutes reassure themselves by posting the more flattering, falsely so, picture. They have to know they'll be found out, but it feels good or at least less bad in the short term.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:13 PM

340 posts, read 273,043 times
This happened to me, when i first met my girlfriend was by the tinder app. The first time i saw her in person i thought "Oh my GOd she's a little fat" but our first date was awesome and i felt very attracted and very into her! Looks is not everything!

Old 03-22-2016, 02:17 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,061,033 times
I get that people want to remember a better version of themselves, and perhaps a better time, BUT you're representing yourself to someone else and you know you're misrepresenting if you're 300 lbs. and 55 but are putting up your 1996 pic at 185...Come now.

You know you're attempting to attract that person to someone else (the former you, not the current you). You're literally attempting to trick the person. And you're crossing your fingers that the person will either be struck blind, stupid or amnesiac between sending you a "wink" and your first date in person.

There's no way a person doesn't realize this, just none.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:21 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,786,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I get that people want to remember a better version of themselves, and perhaps a better time, BUT you're representing yourself to someone else and you know you're misrepresenting if you're 300 lbs. and 55 but are putting up your 1996 pic at 185...Come now.

You know you're attempting to attract that person to someone else (the former you, not the current you). You're literally attempting to trick the person. And you're crossing your fingers that the person will either be struck blind, stupid or amnesiac between sending you a "wink" and your first date in person.

There's no way a person doesn't realize this, just none.
It'd be funny if two people cat fished each other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships