Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2016, 07:09 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,227,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lol! That's hilarious! But it might encourage them to tear the place apart looking for his devices, while he's at work.
That is better than my dad's ideas. Every time I talk with him he tells me to throw her stuff out into the yard and change the locks on all the doors. I can't imagine a worse idea, yet he seems to think it is actually something worth doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 08:16 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,338,031 times
Just make sure you've secured your valuables and anything important or sentimental you'd be upset to find gone. Just incase she goes crazy and tries to destroy things or whatever.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:13 AM

I'm also considering working with my sister to see if she can buy our house, and then rent it to me afterward and then sell it back.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:23 PM

Does anyone know on average how long it takes from the time an attorney is retain until the divorce complaint is actually submitted to the court? I approved the drafted complaint today (4/19), and it will be filed this Friday (4/22).

Old 04-19-2016, 04:27 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,245,474 times
Filing = submitting to the court, so this Friday. As for when she is served, that can take from a few days to a few weeks.

Wait, you said from time retained, so are you asking if your attorney is handling this expeditiously? They will be as fast or slow as you need them to be, some clients may want to discuss the options in depth before actually filing. If you approved the petition today and they will file it in two days, that is reasonably prompt.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:42 PM

Thanks. I guess I didn't realize there was a lag at all, but that makes sense if it needs to be done in person. My wife is seeing a lawyer tomorrow for the first time, and I am hoping to be the plaintiff.

I shouldn't have waited so long. I just kept thinking we would reconcile. But the last few days proved to me she is way more committed to this guy and to leaving me than I thought. At first I thought it would be a sign of my commitment to let her file, but now I want to take ownership psychologically and be the one who initiates.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:57 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
I'm also considering working with my sister to see if she can buy our house, and then rent it to me afterward and then sell it back.
Oooh, I like this! Diabolical!

Old 04-19-2016, 05:09 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,297,996 times
She let the guy into your house without inhibitions while you're living there is the ultimate fire alarm, you could of realized right there and then. This thing don't just happen if she has intention if any at all to reconcile.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
She let the guy into your house without inhibitions while you're living there is the ultimate fire alarm, you could of realized right there and then. This thing don't just happen if she has intention if any at all to reconcile.
I know. I feel like a complete fool. She works from home, and also has a chronic illness (Crohn's disease) and for that reason believes that she will continue living in the house with a very low mortgage payment for nothing more than a 50/50 asset split. And she denies it, but I know her boyfriend is planning to move in and just pay her rent instead of his current landlord if she gets the house. It sickens me to think that she might actually get it and they'll just laugh about me in the house I worked so hard for. We made the down-payment on the house with a retirement plan I cashed out of in 2009, and up until this year I was always the higher earner. She worked a lot of overtime. Plus, I've always done all of the actual maintenance and at least half the cleaning. I just don't get her sense of entitlement.

She does have a job, and last year made $1,500 more in income than I did, and I'm actually on her health insurance. She gets out quite a lot, and spends as much time chatting with friends and screwing her new man - who is currently on strike, so has plenty of free time - than she does working at her job, which is for one of our city's largest employers. So I just don't buy her argument she is somehow entitled to get the house because she needs it more. But I am a little nervous about it.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:25 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,338,031 times
Sell the house. You don't want to live there again. Really, you want to get out and move on, no reason to stay in the house she so disrespected you in. Plus if you sell then she can't have it either.

Start fresh unless there is something truly unique about the marital home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships