Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 06:26 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

OP: DO NOT move in with your girlfriend, if you were truly *ready* your little voice would not be hounding you.
Stay where you are and see where the future takes you, slowly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 07:04 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
You will be using 1/4 of the utilities, kitchen, bath, living room, etc. 1/4 of the rent seems only right.

Many landlords require everyone living there to be on the lease. Don't overlook the "jointly and separately liable" part which means no matter who moves out, all of you can be held individually liable for rent and damages.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:34 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ This situation is very unstable. Do yourself a favor and don't move in under those circumstances.
"Unstable" is the perfect word to describe this situation.

Don't do it, OP.

Let your GF know that you care about her and definitely want to keep things going with her but that you don't think this is the right living situation for you.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:46 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
One bathroom for four people...no way!!! If the toilet backs up, or someone is sick and suddenly needs to get in there while another person is on the toilet or showering or soaking in the tub...or just your typical morning schedule of getting ready...that is going to be a nightmare.

Everyone living in a space should be on the lease. Otherwise you're leaving yourself totally vulnerable. And your family is right about the 33% split. You're sharing a bedroom with your gf. Those with their own single bedroom pay a little more. A 25% split is only fair with 4 people each having their own bedroom.
This!! ^^^^

Dude?! 3 girls?! 1 bathroom?! You will NEVER see that bathroom!

Old 04-18-2016, 08:27 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
This!! ^^^^

Dude?! 3 girls?! 1 bathroom?! You will NEVER see that bathroom!
I agree. That sounds horrible. If it were a 3 bedroom 2 bath, okay, but 1 bathroom?

Gross. I imagine clumps of hair everywhere, toiletries, foul smells, and having to get up three hours earlier to take a shower.

I think it sounds like a horrible idea, btw. Just wait until you've been together a bit longer!!
And instead of moving in with her and her friends, I think it would be better for it to just be you two... I mean this is partially projection, but I can't imagine how it will benefit your relationship to stay with her and two of her friends.... Just sounds like a disaster.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:31 AM

525 posts, read 660,541 times
What about a 20, 20, 30, 30 % split? Not for the liability portion, but the rent? You WILL be sharing a bedroom. And point out to your girlfriend that jointly you and her would be paying 40% of the rent, while the friends only 30% each.

Another option for the lease itself is listing people as "occupants" without having them held liable for the rent. I did this with my then fiance on my previous lease before we were married.

I will say it is a really good idea that you are thinking this through so carefully and you and your girlfriend are able to have such open conversation about the financial aspects and implications. I was much more reckless about roommate and playing house when I was in college.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:00 AM

99 posts, read 102,386 times
I'll try to not get my name on the lease, but still split rent 25%. That way I have an out if something happens down the line but for current time, everyone pays equally.

I'm just worried about putting my name on a lease and something happens to us or one of her friends decides to bail out.

Another possibility that is open is that I move in with my brother in an apt in or near the same city. That way I'm still moving out of my parents house, but living with someone I know I trust and is financially stable, and could visit the gf on weekends and other days.

We're talking about the apt tonight so I'll let you know what happens.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:30 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throughthelookingglass View Post
I

Another possibility that is open is that I move in with my brother in an apt in or near the same city. That way I'm still moving out of my parents house, but living with someone I know I trust and is financially stable, and could visit the gf on weekends and other days.
This sounds like a 1000% better option. If I was one of the 3 girls I would absolutely not agree to you moving in without your name on the lease and a guarantee that that you will pay 1/4 of the rent. (Actually if I was one of the non-girlfriends I wouldn't agree to any arrangement that had you moving in as a roommate, but that's not what you asked about)

This situation is just a problem waiting to happen.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:34 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
If I was one of the 3 girls I would absolutely not agree to you moving in without your name on the lease and a guarantee that that you will pay 1/4 of the rent. (Actually if I was one of the non-girlfriends I wouldn't agree to any arrangement that had you moving in as a roommate, but that's not what you asked about)
Yeah, I was going to ask what the friends' opinions were on this situation. I know at that age I'd be a little wary of living with a couple (especially one that had only been dating for a few months.) And I know my parents probably wouldn't like it, either.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:05 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
It's HER friends, why do you have to be on the lease??

I wouldn't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships